Windows 10: Clean install of windows not booting properly

Discus and support Clean install of windows not booting properly in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently got a new SSD (Kingston 120GB) and attempted to do a clean install of windows 10 via a USB drive. The process of installing onto the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ambrose de Soissons-Page, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Clean install of windows not booting properly

I recently got a new SSD (Kingston 120GB) and attempted to do a clean install of windows 10 via a USB drive. The process of installing onto the SSD itself worked fine, but when I restart the computer "insert proper boot device and press any key" error appears. The most logical solution to this would be to change boot priority in BIOS but the SSD was already selected as first priority so I'm confused. I have formatted and re-installed the USB software multiple times but no success... Then, I decide to give up and use an old hard drive, but the same situation occurred. Any help would be appreciated because right now I seem to have a very heavy paper weight.

System specs:

Core i3 6100

MSI motherboard

GTX 1060

16gb RAM

120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

:)

Ambrose de Soissons-Page, Aug 8, 2018

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 8, 2018
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 8, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

Clean install of windows not booting properly

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

• Windows logo on a black screen
    • circling dots appear beneath the logo
    • light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    • a command prompt window (very briefly)
    • the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

Clean install of windows not booting properly

1. Clean install of windows not booting properly - Similar Threads - Clean install booting

2. Can't boot to proper Windows installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot to proper Windows installation: Last night I tried to update my computer to the Windows 11 update. It downloaded and installed the update. It then went to the "finishing updates, don't shut your computer off" screen, but my computer crashed. After reboot, it showed an "undoing changes made to your computer"...
  3. Can't boot to proper Windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot to proper Windows installation: Last night I tried to update my computer to the Windows 11 update. It downloaded and installed the update. It then went to the "finishing updates, don't shut your computer off" screen, but my computer crashed. After reboot, it showed an "undoing changes made to your computer"...
  4. Can't boot to proper Windows installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 clean install boot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean install boot loop: I was recently gifted a friend's old gaming pc about 2 years old and was asked to do a clean install of windows to remove their information, so I bought a windows 10 home USB from best buy what the geeks said I needed. While doing the install it failed at about 25%.Now when I...
  6. Windows not booting properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not booting properly: Hello everyone, I today randomly got the DPC Watchdog Error code. I just updated to a new version of Windows 10 last night. I can't reset my PC at all, I can't boot into Safe Mode, Windows doesn't let me do anything. I don't get beyond the startup bluescreen. I can reboot as...
  7. Booting clean installation of windows 10

Booting clean installation of windows 10: Hi, I am Rishad. So,basically I was trying to reinstall windows after the C: drive was showing error. I tried to boot it up from a bootable usb and I have succeded but my C: drive was showing error again and wanted repair after I checked it.So,I tried to install ubuntu...
  8. Windows 10 not installing properly/not booting.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not installing properly/not booting.: Hello. I previously had a Linux computer and wanted to replace it with Windows, since I need specific Windows programs that Linux unfortunately doesn't have. I have a USB with the Windows ISO burned on it, and I used this to install Windows on the laptop. However, after I...
  9. Clean install not working properly

Clean install not working properly: I swapped out the original hard for a "normal" SSD (SATA) and have finally got it to be activated. But however I set up the start menu it always comes back with the tiles even though I might have unpinned them from the session before any ideas on how to stop this happening...
  10. Unable to boot into Clean install with GPU Installed

Unable to boot into Clean install with GPU Installed: Hey Everyone I've recently tried installing windows 10 on my machine and run into a problem.So far im unable to get passed the windows boot screen with the spinning circle getting stuck or none at all.But when I either remove my gpu(980ti) from the system or boot into safe...