Windows 10: Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/

Discus and support Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/ in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I previously used windows xp and just went and bought a new hard drive and windows 10 usb. Im confused. I installed the hard drive along with my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PetenPat, Feb 11, 2016.

1. PetenPat Win User

Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/

I previously used windows xp and just went and bought a new hard drive and windows 10 usb. Im confused. I installed the hard drive along with my old master drive, using it as slave i presume. Will it auto partition the new hard drive

:)

PetenPat, Feb 11, 2016

2. Clean install on a new hard drive

Follow these
    instructions

The Microsoft activation process knows that your computer in its present configuration is ok, so when asked to enter the key code, you
    SKIP the step. It will activate all by itself

Mike Hall... always, Feb 11, 2016
  3. Clean Install on a new hard drive

Thank you Yashwanth that was very helpful. I was able to replace the hard-drive and then use a set of restore disks to install Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10 and then replace that with a clean install. All now working fine.

RichardGould_141, Feb 11, 2016
  4. PetenPat Win User

no instructions came with the hard drive

PetenPat, Feb 11, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Best thing is to unplug the old drive and install Windows 10 with only the new drive connected. Otherwise the installer may put your boot files on the old drive.

It will create all the partitions you need automatically as part of the install process.

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

6. Hello PetenPat Welcome to the Ten Forums!

I see you haven't had much experience with installing OSs there. The guide ix07 posted there will give a good detailed set of instructions to follow. It is possible to install 10 with the other "OSed" drive plugged in but that takes having the new if the same type plugged into a port that proceeds the one the XP drive is plugged into. This is so the 10 drive will be seen by the 10 installer as being "Disk #0" with the XP drive as "Disk #1" or Disk 0 and Disk 1 as it is seen.

Generally the first drive in the order is also the first in the bios boot order and the Windows installer would create the new boot entries as well as place the boot files on that drive. With 10 however that is best left for the advanced user to experiment with and simply unplug the data cable not needing to unplug the power or other connector in order to toss a fresh copy of 10 on the new drive when booting live from the usb stick. Selecting the Custom install option as outlined in the guide will also explain how to use the Drive tools option as well to see a new primary created on the drive as well. The Windows installer will automatically tend to the rest.

Once 10 is on the retail key that came with the usb stick is what you enter into the "Enter product key now" screen where once you are at the new desktop start noticing a large change in view! The new Start button as well as the new Start menu will be seeing things arranged and named quite a bit differently. For the Control Panel and some other things like the Run command line and Command prompt, Command prompt(admin), Disk Management tool, etc. options you simply right click on the Start button itself to bring up that new menu.

And if you get stuck on anything and certainly "everything" don't hesitate to get back in here and ask away! *Smile Hard dirves with the exception of many of the self contained external models never come with any instruction pamplets. The manufacturers have no way of even knowing which OS will be going on for each customer! That will be upto the owner or tech working on a system to see to that.

Night Hawk, Feb 11, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, the Windows 10 clean install will partition the new hard drive, the user is not required to.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2016
  8. Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/

You will still want to pay close attention to Steps #12 and #13 in the Clean install guide for understanding the Advanced drive options when going to select the Custom not Upgrade option when booting live from the 10 media. Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/ - Similar Threads - Clean install 250gb

2. new hard drive install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    new hard drive install: Trying to install another hard drive into my PC, but I don't want to erase the data on the drive. How can I do this? submitted by /u/theflyingpanini [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v65o3o/new_hard_drive_install/
  3. Installing new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing new hard drive.: When in disk management it says my drive needs to be formatted then a few minutes latter it says unable to format disk it is a WD10 red 3.5 inch hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-new-hard-drive/bd54e110-b1e4-47b8-8a30-f6383eb008f7
  4. Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive

Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive: I dropped my laptop which has smashed my HDD. Ordered a replacement HDD but unfortunately I do not have a back up USB. What are my options for installing windows 10 from new onto the new hard drive? Laptop sony vaio will boot up in BIOS. Any advice would be very welcome....
  5. Clean install to new drive

Clean install to new drive: I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it currently resides on a HDD. What I can't seem to figure out is if a straight up clean install, setting the new drive as its...
  6. Cleaned hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cleaned hard drive: I have cleaned my old laptop's hard drive and Removed all data and personal files so i can sell it. Does that mean no one will be able to Log in to my accounts on other websites ?...
  7. Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install: Good afternoon, all. I understand I can't move a HD from one computer to another. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 10. My question is, after I move the hard drive to the new laptop and do the clean install via USB, will there be the Windows.old folder? Or should I...
  8. Installing a new hard drive

Installing a new hard drive: I have a hard drive failure, I have installed a new 1t hard drive and need to reinstall my OS. The computer did not come with install disks. it is a Toshiba C50 series How is this accomplished?...
  9. hard drive cleaning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive cleaning: I would like to clean my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-cleaning/05bfae9c-6174-4938-9e25-31f892008c04"
  10. Installed New Hard Drive

Installed New Hard Drive: I have recently installed a new hard drive in my computer. I would like to know what do I need to do now to put Windows 10 back on my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-new-hard-drive/f1db2a19-671d-4b48-bc26-6843d6b4ad65