Windows 10: Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?

Discus and support Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows 10 because of some stability issues (Mail and Calendar apps not working, Store app can't update etc yada... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kago, Aug 9, 2015.

1. kago Win User

Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?

I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows 10 because of some stability issues (Mail and Calendar apps not working, Store app can't update etc yada yada; also I would like to get rid of the OEM softwares that have persisted till now). I got my current version of Windows 10 from the free upgrade program, Windows 8 to Windows 10 Home.

Now, this is what my disk looks like:

Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk? [​IMG]

Pretty sure that it's currently a GPT formatted disk and a UEFI enabled installation of Windows. I only ever tinkered with the partitions once for parting a huge C: to the 3 System, Productivity and Entertainment partitions.

Now, my question is: Is it possible to clean install Windows 10 with UEFI on only the System (C) partition (i.e leaving the other partitions, including but not limited to Productivity (D) and Entertainment (E) intact) without cleanly wiping the whole disk?

:)

kago, Aug 9, 2015

2. Windows 10 free upgrade

Thanks for that. The clean installation went well.

PS : If you're installing on a SSD, make sure it's in GPT format.

AbhishekJavali, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Pat T Win User
    Windows updates are stuck/stalled

November 18th around then Clean install was done via the USB drive, GPT formatted, Formatted the 2tb hard drive, made sure it showed only 1 unallocated drive in WIndows Setup, and then it formatted into 4 partitions for GPT based system install, and runs
    pretty well minus some minor issues off and on

Pat T, Aug 9, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

From Boot menu, select UEFI-USB/DVD installation from your installation media. On the first screen, hold down SHIFT + F10. You'll get an Admin Command Prompt:
    • Diskpart
    • select disk 0
    • list partition
    • select partition 1
    • delete partition override
    • repeat steps 4 & 5 for partition 2, 3, 4, 5 NOTE: there's a hidden MSR partition that you don't see from disk management.
    • exit
    • exit
    • Continue to install Windows, select Custom then select the first unallocated partition
    • Click next to let Windows create all needed partitions
    • After Installation is finished, you should have: 450MB Reserved, 100MB System, 16MB MSR and your C drive + the last 2 partitions(25GB, 14.81GB)

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2015
  5. kago Win User
    Thanks for your reply, topgundcp!

Here is a screenshot of the partitions, better detailed:

Your instruction involves deleting a few partitions numbered 2, 3, 4 and 5. My concern over deleting the #3 1GB OEM partition is that doing so will most likely render Lenovo OneKey Recovery - the reset-to-factory program - unusable. As I understand it, when invoked from boot menu, OneKey Recovery is ran from #3 partition; the restore image itself is stored in #9.

I would like to retain the ability to reset my laptop to factory default if possible. Is there no way to install Windows 10 w/ UEFI on only the #5 (C: System) partition, leaving those data and recovery partitions untouched?

kago, Aug 9, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    If you want to keep those partitions then I would suggest to create a backup image to an external HD using Macrium Reflect Free which includes Partition 1 thru 5 then do the steps above so you can restore back to the way it is now.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2015
  7. kago Win User
    That's a great suggestion! I think it will be enough to back up only partitions 1-4 because the #5 system partition is not crucial to the OneKey recovery software. There might be a small hassle with the partitions not get to keep their original types: Recover Lenovo One Key Rescue after Resizing Partitions but I believe I can figure that out. For now I will just go ahead and create a rescue USB for some peace of mind.

Once again thank you for your replies!

kago, Aug 9, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

When using Macrium to back up those partitions, they will be restored back to the original partition types so you should not have any problem. However, you should keep those partitions in current order when restore ie. the last 2 partitions should be #8 and #9 so onekey recovery can find them.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Note - when using DISKPART the LIST DISK command will show an '*' for GPT formatted disks if you are unsure of which of yours are GPT formatted.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 9, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    @jimbo45
    In addition, There are couple of ways to find out whether it's MBR or GPT:
    • From disk management. Looking at 2nd partition then you can tell it is GPT
    • Or move the mouse pointer to Disk 0, right click->Properties->Volume. It should tell you it is GPT.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks for the info -- I just added mine in case the OP was in the middle of doing something and it's often easier to open cmd prompt in a small windows and quickly see.

Perhaps I'm too used to Linux so I don't mind using the cmd line / prompt --using the cmd prompt seems to be a dying art these days !!!!!

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 9, 2015
  12. kago Win User
    Windows X - A was one of the first shortcut combos I learned upgrading to Windows 10. I don't mind command line interfaces at all, earlier I used EaseUS PM because it allowed viewing the hierarchy of the hidden partitions as well and showing detail info about them. Thank you both for the new alternatives. *Smile

Thema:

1. Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk? - Similar Threads - Clean install OEM

2. GPT needed but disk has OEM partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT needed but disk has OEM partition: Trying to upgrade Windows 10 Home from 32-bit to 64-bit. After booting from the USB flash drive which, following instructions on the MIcrosoft site had the installation media put on it by the Media Creation tool it asks where do you want to install Windows. This shows...
  3. OEM Pre-installed Windows or Clean install?

OEM Pre-installed Windows or Clean install?: I want to reinstall my device. Should I download Recovery from the Manufacturer's website OR simply from the Microsoft's site??? Which is best and why??? Performance or stability related Thnx...
  4. OEM Format

OEM Format: Hello everyone, I formatted my OEM recovery while using diskpart to assign a character to a disk. It was a mistake and now it's formatted. Knowing that the OEM can't be recovered, I would like to ask if I wil reinstall the same windows version again(WINDOWS 10 HOME), with...
  5. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  6. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  7. GPT disks

GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  8. installing GPT disks in the right order

installing GPT disks in the right order: How do I install the GPT partitions in the right order? I am trying to install Windows 10 Pro. I keep getting the message that I am trying to install in the wrong order....
  9. Hard Disk Converted to GPT format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Converted to GPT format: I have DELL inspiron 5558 With windwos 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10. Recently i wanted windows 7 and for that i shrink my E drive and from DVD tried to install Windows 7 on that 50 GB unallocated space. But it was showing me that you cant install OS on Windows Cannot...
  10. Windows won't install on GPT formatted drive.

Windows won't install on GPT formatted drive.: This is probably a longshot, but might anyone here know why my laptop won't boot in UEFI mode? I'm trying to install windows 10 on a new SSD, but I'm getting the error message: "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." The...