Windows 10: Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers

Discus and support Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 3 computers and only 1 of the three boots with a Clean windows 10 install. Samsung: 1 is a all in one Samsung 700A3D that the HDD went bust... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by buzzKillTech, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers

I have 3 computers and only 1 of the three boots with a Clean windows 10 install.

Samsung: 1 is a all in one Samsung 700A3D that the HDD went bust in.
    Referb: 2nd is an old custom build that use to run Raid 0 on the.
    Current: The third is a custom build running off an SSD generally.

I am using one of the old HDD that use to run on the referbed alone, I have installed windows 10 on this and it boots on the Current PC no issue (all other drives disabled in BIOS)

When I plug it into the Samsung or the Referb however I get the message
    "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device"

The HDD shows in the BIOS but does not boot on both of these machines, this has led me to believe it should be an issue in the BIOS settings as it boots successfully on Current.

Failed Boot/BIOS Settings
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46...ew?usp=sharing

Booting sucessfully (not much to see other than a slow boot time)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46...ew?usp=sharing

:)

buzzKillTech, Apr 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 freezes after being left idle for a few minutes

1. Does the computer-in-question belong to you or to your employer? The computer belonged to my company for the first 4 years; after that, when I left the company it belongs to me now

2a. When the HDD was replaced, did you (or your IT Department) do a clean install of Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 or was it a clean install of Windows 10? When HDD was replaced a clean W10 was installed directly

2b. What product key was used to Activate (authenticate; validate) the clean install of Windows?

3. Was the HDD replaced before or after 05 April 2017? --Before 5 april 2017; of course

HenguerEspaña, Apr 11, 2016
  3. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 fails to install

1. remove HDD and kaspersky

2. tried w10 ISO 1709 Clean install

3. failed. same msg

0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation

i didnt read ur EDIT portion after that.

beerus_king, Apr 11, 2016
  4. Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers

Fixes Tried:
    Complete wipe and repartition of drive using EaseUS
    chkdsk /r
    diskpart
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /rebuildbcd (this one failed)
    I can only re-install windows when on the current pc
    when trying to use usb stick for repair disk and reset PC I get no partition available message on the referb.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In the computer that the hard will boot in, open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt. Run:

Diskpart
    List Disk

Is there an asterisk under the DYN or GPT column?

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  6. Not at home currently but will update once I am, I know I converted disk from MBR to GPT as was receiving errors with this before I could install Windows

That was converting volume not the disk

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can't convert just one volume to GPT. MBR and GPT are disk level methods of defining the partitions on that disk. The problem is that a bios that is only capable of legacy booting won't boot a GPT disk. That's probably why the hard drive will only boot in the one computer - it's the only computer that has a UEFI bios capable of booting a GPT disk. You are going to have to look in that computer's bios settings and enable legacy or CSM booting. Then convert the hard drive to MBR and use legacy booting on all three computers. CSM is not 100% legacy booting - but emulation for legacy booting that is available in some biossesss.... just what is the plural form of bios anyway?

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  8. Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers

Not sure if I understand exactly what you did? You clean installed on one PC, booted it up etc. Then moved it to another PC and tried to boot from it? If yes, technically, its not a clean install on PC 2? It was altered by PC no1? More info is needed IMHO? If I misunderstood what you did, my apologies.

alphanumeric, Apr 11, 2016
  9. @alphanumeric I installed windows on Current(3rd pc in list) then moved it to Samsung/Referb ( other two both won't boot) I did it this way as it wasn't allowing me to install strait from either of the other two and software to wipe HDD is on Current PC.
    @NavyLCDR I have done DiskPart, List Vol | have a HDD 500 GB and a USB 64GB plugged in
    Disk### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    Disk0 Online 465GB 0 B *
    Disk1 Online 57GB 0 B

If I swap to Legacy and convert the HDD to MBR I should be able to do the install strait from the Referbed/Samsung (two that currently are not working)

BIOSes or BIOS' I think you managed to confuse me further haha

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    What are you trying to accomplish at the very end of this? I originally thought you were attempting to create 1 hard drive, with Windows 10 installed on it, and you were going to move that single hard drive from computer to computer as needed.

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  11. the end goal is to have it working on either the referb'd or the Samsung (sorry for confusion only reason the 3rd pc is involved is because it the only one working to wipe/convert pc's)

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can do that from the Windows 10 installation USB/DVD. Boot the computer from the Windows 10 installation USB/DVD, select the custom install option, delete every partition shown on the hard drive you want to install to, select the unallocated space to install Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will figure out if MBR or GPT is needed, create the needed partitions, and do the install to the hard drive.

If you just let the media creation tool create the USB flash drive for you, it will be bootable with both legacy and UEFI bios - as will a DVD created from the ISO file.

NOTE: if you let the Media Creation Tool create the USB flash drive for you - it will only format it for 32GB if the flash drive is over 32GB in size.

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  13. Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers

this was what I tried originally however was getting errors saying to convert MBR to GPT then after doing that had a lot of other problems preventing windows from being installed after goggling and following threads with same error messages left me at start of this thread.
    currently running diskpart clean all on the HDD that is setup as MBR and will report back on what happens after a fresh start.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows Setup will want to set up the hard drive for the same mode of booting that Windows setup was booted with. Boot Windows Setup in UEFI mode, it will want to set up the HDD for GPT partitioning and UEFI booting. Boot Windows Setup in Legacy or CSM mode and it will want to set up the HDD for MBR partitioning and legacy booting. Boot mode is determined by the bios, obviously.

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  15. Another option may be to do the install, then do a sysprep, then move it?

In most cases, if the BIOS is UEFI, and the install media supports UEFI, you should get two boot options listed for your install media. One with UEFI in front of it and one without. The one with no UEFI in the description will be legacy mode..

alphanumeric, Apr 11, 2016
Thema:

Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers

1. Clean Install on HDD only booting on 1/3 computers - Similar Threads - Clean Install HDD

2. Only 1 out of 3 headsets works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only 1 out of 3 headsets works: Hi,I'm trying to find a proper setup for my headset to play counterstrike + discord voice channel. Bluetooth doesn't work with these two programs, so I'm using wired headsets. My custom PC seems not to support TRSS jacks in the headphones input like a smartphone does, so I...
  3. Computer upgrade - replace HDD and clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer upgrade - replace HDD and clean install: I have a computer that needs a clean install, so I'm thinking that I would replace the HDD with SDD. My computer started life with Win 8.1 Home, and upgradred to Win 10 Home. To activate Windows, would I need a new licence key for Windows 10 or can I use the one for WIndows...
  4. Win 10 only boots 1/3 of the time !

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 only boots 1/3 of the time !: Win10 Pro - Version 2004 (updated only a few days ago but the problem I describe started before the update) hello for a couple of weeks, about one third of the time win 10 does not boot on my PC which opens on the page to access the BIOS settings (does this page have a name...
  5. Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only

Clean Windows 10 install on SSD with HDD as storage only: Hello all. I need to do a clean Windows 10 install on my laptop (I want to sell it, and therefore need to disassociate my Windows account with the OS installation). I want to install Windows 10 on the SSD (M.2 2280 PCIE NVMe) and leave the HDD for storage only. Windows is...
  6. Boot drive is on SSD, but System drive is detected on the HDD (only 1 OS is installed)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot drive is on SSD, but System drive is detected on the HDD (only 1 OS is installed): I have Windows installed on an SSD, but as shown, the system drive is the HDD. This happened after I dual-booted windows and linux (with linux being on a partition on the HDD) and then removed the linux partition all together. This resulted to an inability to boot into...
  7. Mouse ghosting on 1 of 3 monitors only

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse ghosting on 1 of 3 monitors only: Hi, my mouse has just started having a shadow underneath it , it is only on one of my 3 monitors, i was trying to fix my bad text in the "adjust the appearance and performance of windows" tab. After this i noticed the mouse problem, i have been into the mouse advanced...
  8. Only 3 Windows Updates installed after Clean Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Only 3 Windows Updates installed after Clean Install: I cleaned installed Win10 Pro using the Media Creation Tool and how come I only got 3 updates???? This is very strange. I am assuming I would get more updates than these. Running version 1511 build 10586 Is it because Win10 is too new ??? And I kept pressing the...
  9. Surface 3 Clean Install

Surface 3 Clean Install: Hi Everyone I have recently upgraded my Surface 3 to Windows 10 and I wish to do a clean install, to install a fresh copy of windows without having all the old data from Windows 8.1. Would I be fine following, "How to do a clean install" tutorial via Ten Forums or would...
  10. Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions

Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions: hi all I have clean installed windows 10 in UEFI mode it showed 4 partitions but after install only shows 3 partitions in disc managment no MSR reserved partition why How do I know it is UEFI mode 15497