Windows 10: clean install on new build, but system won't reboot

Discus and support clean install on new build, but system won't reboot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I built a desktop. Asus Z170, Intel I7 6700, Geforce GTX 1060. Everything appears to work, system boots to bios. I did a clean install of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sadoway, Oct 27, 2016.

1. sadoway Win User

clean install on new build, but system won't reboot

I built a desktop. Asus Z170, Intel I7 6700, Geforce GTX 1060. Everything appears to work, system boots to bios.
    I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro from a USB stick, it installed and windows appeared on the screen. I am able to surf, do updates, play around... it's all good until I restart/reboot. I get a black screen. I can access bios normally though (f2). I have tried changes in the CMS, legacy, and UEFI in the bios. The results ranged from nothing to popping the CMOS battery for a hard reset.

Can anyone help me? Cheers

:)

sadoway, Oct 27, 2016

2. Cortana can't set Reminders, Access Calendar, Send Email

None of the solutions I've tried worked. The only thing that worked is a complete clean install. Not even a reset solve my issue. Doing a clean install helped me understand what caused the issue. The issue occurs after upgrading to a new build. As soon as
    I upgrade to a new build, Cortana stops working and as soon as I roll back to a previous build, she starts working again. I sure hope I won't have to do a clean install again to upgrade to newer builds in the future!!

JoseMondia, Oct 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Clean install on new build

Yes, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key to install and activate Windows 10. Starting with the November Update, this is possible.

Review:

How to install
    and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

Step 1:
    How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:
    How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

If you experience problems activating, contact chat support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Oct 27, 2016
  4. AddRAM Win User

Since you made a bunch of unnecessary changes to the bios, reset the bios to defaults (F5) save changes (F10) and exit, see if windows will boot.

What model Asus board did you get ? *Smile

And Welcome to Ten Forums *Smile

AddRAM, Oct 27, 2016
  5. sadoway Win User
    Bios has been reset. Asus Z170. Forgot to mention, SSD 500GB Samsung EVO.

sadoway, Oct 27, 2016
  6. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Oct 27, 2016
  7. sadoway Win User
    Z170-E (missed it typing) RAM gskill ripjaws 2x16GB

Can I do the start up repair from Windows? At this point, I have to go through the install process every time. It completes, but that is as far as I get.

sadoway, Oct 27, 2016
  8. AddRAM Win User

AddRAM, Oct 27, 2016
  9. Saltgrass Win User
    Were you using the x64 bit version of Win 10 and did you have a license with it?

I assume you installed in the UEFI configuration... do you know for sure?

Was the black screen completely blank or was there a flashing cursor in the upper left?

Did you remove the install media?

Saltgrass, Oct 28, 2016
  10. sadoway Win User
    AddRam: I reformatted, reinstalled, read the posts provided, created the recovery USB for startup repair, etc. Install again went well. This time I shutdown vs having restarted earlier. It worked. I shutdown once or twice more with no issues, then I hit restart - black screen. This was the fourth time I went and redid the installer and have made the USB stick more time than I care to admit.

Saltgrass: Yes, 64 bit licensed, UEFI config confirmed, full black no cursor, only access to bios, install media removed.

Both: I had and LED monitor from Walmart (no judging it was open late) and as I bought it temporarily, I returned it today and bought an LG 24MP56 from Costco. I plugged it in, reset the mobo (cmos battery and drain). I disabled the Fast Boot option in the bios and things started fine. The computer has now restarted itself once through install processes and seems ok. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I won't feel confident until I use the restart a few times with normality.

sadoway, Oct 28, 2016
  11. sadoway Win User
    Guys, it worked. The only two things I changed were disabling the Fast Boot and a different monitor.

Appreciate you taking the time to help out!

sadoway, Oct 28, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    There is one setting in Windows 10 that I have trouble with is Fast Startup. If you want to turn it off it's in Power Options- Choose what the power buttons do.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. clean install on new build, but system won't reboot - Similar Threads - clean install build

2. Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD: Hello!I'm hoping someone might be able to help me solve this issue - I've been reading troubleshooting articles all day and still can't get Windows to install. Here's the context: I was giving a pre-loved gaming computer that, at least in theory, only needed a new hard drive...
  3. Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD: Hello!I'm hoping someone might be able to help me solve this issue - I've been reading troubleshooting articles all day and still can't get Windows to install. Here's the context: I was giving a pre-loved gaming computer that, at least in theory, only needed a new hard drive...
  4. New build reboots when attempting to install Windows

New build reboots when attempting to install Windows: Hi,I built this:https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MFVG9NAnd set it up today. It boots, hardware detects fine in BIOS, but when booting to Microsoft's Windows installer on my USB it reboots the moment I move the mouse I see it move for half a second then rebootsThe keyboard is...
  5. Cleaned Hard Drive, Won't Reboot

Cleaned Hard Drive, Won't Reboot: Recently cleaned my drives because it wouldn't let me factory reset the computer. Since doing that, it will not boot back up to a log in screen or anything. It runs a scan upon turning on then says something about a corrupt OS Image or some BIOS settings, neither of which i...
  6. Windows 10 fails clean install on new build

Windows 10 fails clean install on new build: I am working on building a new gaming PC, and am trying to install a copy of windows 10 using the USB tool. After creating a partition and unpacking files, the installer goes to reset. While in the "getting devices ready" stage, it is routinely failing install, and giving...
  7. Windows 10 won't install on new build

Windows 10 won't install on new build: BIOSTAR RACING Z490A-SILVER motherboard I cannot install Windows 10 on the new computer my Son and I built. I have no problem running UBUNTU, but Windows just won’t load. I have a retail installation USB key to load from and I’ve also tried downloading a fresh install from...
  8. Clean Windows 10 Install won't reboot after installation

Clean Windows 10 Install won't reboot after installation: So I'm having a weird dilemma that I can't seem to solve. I'm building a new computer specs below and trying to install Windows 10. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a new USB disk to install, plugged into the new computer, and installed Windows. Everything...
  9. No System partition on new clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No System partition on new clean install: I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an earlier Win 10 install. All...
  10. New Build Won't Install

New Build Won't Install: I'm currently running 11082 and Windows update is attempting to push 14257 out to me but it's failing to install. The update downloads ok, but when I restart I boot into the windows repair menu instead of the upgrade screen. I've tried to do an automatic repair, but when...