Windows 10: Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question...

Discus and support Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question... in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi guys, This is hopefully a simple one to answer: If I set up a brand new Windows 10 VM (using VirtualBox) and perform a clean install of Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mingle, Jul 19, 2016.

1. mingle Win User

Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question...

Hi guys,

This is hopefully a simple one to answer:

If I set up a brand new Windows 10 VM (using VirtualBox) and perform a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit (via the latest 1511 ISO image), at what stage will I need to activate Windows? Bearing in mind that this is a clean system and has had no previous Windows version installed.

Do I need a valid license key, or can I used the 'generic' key, (ie: QJ*XR-YD*7Q-K7*H4-RY*Q8-6M*6Y) which is floating around?

Previously (prior to 1511) on my 'real' systems, I installed an earlier version (8.1) of Windows, then performed the upgrade, after which I was able to do a clean install and Windows was activated, as expected.

Is my understanding of "free" Windows 10 incorrect? Do I still need a valid Windows key to perform an install?

Cheers,

Mike.

:)

mingle, Jul 19, 2016

2. Upgraded virtual machine

Hi there

I wanted to upgrade my Dell Precision t3600 to windows 10. The upgrade failed (I asked questions about the error, but nobody seems to have a solution). So I thougt: If i install Windows 7 on a virtual machine with my Dell key and upgrade it to 10, then clean
    install win 10 on my dell with a product key that I extracted from the registry from the virtual machine.

Now it seems that it is not possible to do the clean install after the activation on the virtual machine. Can I undo my upgrade, so that I can upgrade my Dell again?

Thanks,

Jacob

Jacobdeboer, Jul 19, 2016
  3. tonytanjk Win User
    How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

I may not be able to answer all your questions but you do know there is a difference between a Virtual Machine and a real Laptop right.And a clean installation does not really delete all files unless you run the remove all files and etc made by windows
    itself.

tonytanjk, Jul 19, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Mike, *Smile

Sorry, but you are mistaken.

The free Windows 10 is only an offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 to replace an activated Windows 7 or 8 PC.

The generic key for Windows 10 is only good to install Windows 10 with. It will not activate Window 10.

If you don't have a valid key to activate with, or upgrade from a valid Window 7/8, then you'll need to purchase Windows 10.

Brink, Jul 19, 2016
  5. mingle Win User
    No probs - I suspected as much!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Now I need to install Win8.1 and go through the rigmarole again Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question... :)

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Jul 19, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I hope it goes smoothly.

Brink, Jul 19, 2016
  7. mingle Win User
    Thanks - Wind 8.1 install is quietly chuggin away, as I type Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question... :)

One quick additional question (assuming it has a simply answer!):

Once I've installed my valid Win8.1, is my virtual machines UUID the 'fingerprint' that the Windows 10 servers use to identify my VM and permit the Windows 10 upgrade/install?

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Jul 19, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm not certain for VM's, but I would assume so as well.

Brink, Jul 19, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    Don't know VirtualBox but here's how it goes using Hyper-V virtualization. Your specs show your Win 10 edition is PRO meaning you have Hyper-V available.

The hardware signature for digital entitlement of a virtual machine is a combination of your real physical hardware signature, the host machine, and signature of the emulated virtualized hardware of Hyper-V. This is because Hyper-V uses core host hardware to some extent, some hardware being emulated.

To keep the digital activation of a Hyper-V Windows vm after let's say re-install, you have to first export the vm, then re-install Windows 10, enable and setup Hyper-V, and last import the vm using either Register the vm in-place or Restore the vm options. These import options will keep system GUID as it was, the imported vm being an exact duplicate of original vm, to the smallest detail. If activated when exported, vm will be activated after importing.

Only difference between these two import options is that in-place leaves the vm files including its vhd to location where you import it from, whereas restoring will copy the files to your default vm and vhd locations set in Hyper-V settings, or any other location you choose.

Activation does not remain if either half of the digital signature has been changed, Hyper-V on another physical hardware or same physical hardware but vm imported to another virtualization platform.

Tutorials:

10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

actually you DON'T need to have an activated Windows 7 --but you need a VALID KEY --different thing entirely.

I still have a load of my old Tech net subscription W7 keys (W7 pro and Ultimate) -- I can install a W10 system either on a REAL or VIRTUAL machine and enter the W7 key when proipmpted --activates fine.

Actually the old Technet keys are great as they usually allow around 10 - 15 activations per key !!!

(In caps deliberately) - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN ACTIVATED W7 SYSTEM TO INSTALL W10 --OR EVEN AN INSTALLED W7 SYSTEM. YOU NEED A VALID KEY.

I think this is what Brink intended to say --just trying to clear5 up any confusion --you don't need to install W7, then upgrade and then clean install. You can clean install directly provided your W7 (W8/W8.1) key is valid.

Use the Ms media build tool to get a reasonably recent copy of W10 and use that for install either to a REAL or a Virtual machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 19, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    There was no need to do this - you could have just installed windows 10 in the vm from iso and activate using a valid 8.1 key not in use elsewhere. The only issue is that you could not use same 8.1 in use elsewhere as a vm requires its own separate licence.

However if 8.1 key is in use, you would have to install 8.1 first as it is in a vm.

cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  12. xbliss Win User
    Very interesting Kari - I've been looking and googling for this insight for a while now; for many days/ weeks
    Found this nice post too -
    will free win 7 -- 10 update work if chose a VM instead of native? - Windows 10 Forums
    But your post/ info is the most clear & detailed in pointing out certain aspects of Hyper V VM in relation to Win 10 DE Activation.

I have just one small Q about the "Gray" marked para
    - Could I let go of the VHD after Export, Save the VM info and in the future Add/ Use a fresh/ different VHD instead? - Since the HWID is tied to the VM (& respective Motherboard like H/w) and not Hard Disk i.e. VHD?

I ask this because in most Real Physical Machines - changing Drives has not had any impact on activation / DE.
    PS: Otherwise saving/ keep that VHD will take lot of space.

Wow! I had no idea the Technet keys were such a large goldmine now *Smile ha ha! Point to note.

Would that be "not in use elsewhere" or "never used before elsewhere"?

I recently used a previously unused Win 8 Product key that ShowKeyPlus identified as: Win 8 RTM Professional Retail
    In order to get a Win 10 DE in a VM.
    My mistake was createing to VMs (hence the different HWID for VMs, A: W8 and B: W10).

Now, there's 2 ways for me to go forward:

1 - Copy/ Transfer GenuineTicket from HWID VM A: W8 VHD, Save, Attach Partition/ VHD (fresh W10) to same VM A

OR

2 - In the same VM A: Just enter Win 8 Product Key into attached Fresh W 10 for it work?

In each case with release of Win 10 must / would be preferred to use? MCT, MSDN 1511 or TH2?
    Would both work/ Which one would be safer?
    PS: Assuming I can leverage the unofficial Window still open.

PS: My goal is not to double up my W8 key/ license - Once its done I will delete all VHDs and maybe keep the VM A without VHD around since DE would be last attached to that. In future transfer DE (from W8 Retail) to fresh hardware if I need/ want.

xbliss, Aug 10, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

A virtual machine is its own entity, with its own GUID (Global Unique Identifier). When that vm is activated with a valid Windows 10 product key, that vm has entitlement to a digital license. You can reinstall wiping the original VHD clean deleting all partitions and install skipping the product key, Windows will be automatically activated. Theoretically you could even replace the VHD, make a new one as long as the VM is the same, but my own experience is that one third of activations fails in these cases.

All four digital activation example videos in this post have been done using a Hyper-V virtual machine: Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 113 - Windows 10 Forums

When you create a new vm, it's of course a new machine with a new GUID and needs a separate license.

My recommendation is to export activated virtual machines as soon as they have been activated and not delete any of the exported files. A clean install of Windows 10 on a Hyper-V vm takes less than 10 GB, if you can't afford to save that due lack of storage space then I recommend not to activate it in the first place.

Thema:

1. Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question... - Similar Threads - Clean Install Virtual

2. Virtual machine not installing windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual machine not installing windows: I decided to install Windows 10 as a VM on my iPhone using QEMU, but I'm forced to use 1GB for RAM and the x86 build. Slow as heck. After restarting, it prepares devices, "getting ready" for 15 mins and then boom - black screen. Not off, of course, it's black. The backlight...
  3. Virtual Machine question

Virtual Machine question: On Win 10 Pro, can Virtual Machine run an embedded version of Windows XP Pro as you could on Win 7 Pro? If so, HOW?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine-question/ac7a00c6-6adb-4469-8496-f686043bca63
  4. installation of Win10 in a virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installation of Win10 in a virtual machine: I installed a licensed copy of Win 10 in a virtual machine and once I screwed it up beyond repair I deleted it and created another one. But when I went to activate it I wasn't able to because it was already assigned to another machine and I needed to call MS and spend 8...
  5. Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question: I'm new to using ivBoot so, I'm wondering about using the Backup Virtual Machine menu item. Does that create a backup file that's independent of the images that were used to create the VM (the VM is of a multi-boot system with a number of disks) or does it update the...
  6. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  7. Virtual Machine Question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Machine Question: Hi Everyone, To be honest.. I've never really used the VM Player software before. I'm trying to run a virtual machine on my Windows 10 Professional 64-bit desktop. Of course I have already installed the latest version of the VM Player software, and I downloaded the latest...
  8. Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.: Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine it won't activate. I just thought I would report one of my testings. I installed windows 7 retail in the virtual machine and it activated. I upgraded to windows 10 and it activated. I did a clean install of windows 10...
  9. Microsoft Account clean install for Dual Boot Machine question.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Account clean install for Dual Boot Machine question.: If I do a clean install of windows 10 on a dual boot partition will it be activated with my Microsoft Account that I been using as a windows insider with a Windows 10 installation on a hyper-v machine? 11998
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...