Windows 10: Clean Install or Refresh ?

Discus and support Clean Install or Refresh ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Because of some problems I want to reinstall Windows 10. I have done a repair reinstall twice and not entirely happy. I get the error on shutdown that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ken1943, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ken1943 Win User

Clean Install or Refresh ?

Because of some problems I want to reinstall Windows 10. I have done a repair reinstall twice and not
    entirely happy. I get the error on shutdown that Explorer can't write to a memory location and my memory has been tested (memtest86). There is also a display problem with blank screen on boot. Not even the bios shows. I have switched from my
    Nvidia GTX-650 to the Intel i7 video to test.
    I have done a clean install on two of my machines, which had the desired effect of curing problems.

I am leaning towards a clean install because both ways, I have to reinstall all my programs about 80 >>YUK.

Any opinions ?

:)

ken1943, Jun 8, 2016

2. Unable to boot, reset, refresh, or clean install

What you have is a hybrid drive. The SSD portion of the storage device should be transparent. It should appear just as a single drive during setup.

Its possible the disk could be corrupt if its stuck during that portion of setup.

You might have to get it replaced.

Before you do, try checking the health of the drive.

How to Prevent Hard Drive Failures by Checking and ... - groovyPost

Andre Da Costa, Jun 8, 2016
  3. Unable to boot, reset, refresh, or clean install

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Could you describe how you performed a clean install?

Did you actually boot from install media, delete all partition, select the unallocated partition, then click New, select the Primary partition then click Next?

Andre Da Costa, Jun 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

After you get a good stable clean install with your usual programs installed, make a system backup image with a program like Macrium Reflect Free and future restores will only take 10-20 minutes.

NavyLCDR, Jun 8, 2016
  5. ken1943 Win User
    Thanks, I do images every month before updates.

ken1943, Jun 9, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would do a completely clean install by deleting all the partitions on the hard drive or SSD and installing Windows 10 to the unallocated space.

NavyLCDR, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Just make sure to reinstall in UEFI mode if you want that. The MCT makes MBR by default. I found this out the hard way.

Murdabenne, Jun 9, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The Media Creation Tool creates a USB flash drive that is bootable by both UEFI and legacy bios systems. The booting mode is set by the bios/UEFI setting, not by the format of the USB flash drive. If the files on the flash drive don't match the mode that is set in the bios/UEFI then the computer won't boot.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Install or Refresh ? - Similar Threads - Clean Install Refresh

2. After a clean installation using the refresh setting the Store and other default apps are...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After a clean installation using the refresh setting the Store and other default apps are...: I tried this guide Reinstall Microsoft Store in Windows 10 after uninstalling it with PowerShell » Winhelponline before and after the refreshI cannot install the store using a .appx package.I cannot reset the app within Windows because there is no app to reset...
  3. Unable to clean install windows using refresh windows tool by microsoft

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clean install windows using refresh windows tool by microsoft: I've changed my Windows Home OEM to windows pro using the Organisation product key a few months ago. Now I want to get back to Windows Home OEM by clean installation. My laptop is running few problems like getting stuck, slow running applications, late restart timing, files...
  4. Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Advanced Recovery option offers recovery solutions which can help you bring back Windows 10 to a working condition. These are extreme solutions when nothing else can be done. That said, before one uses one of these solutions, its [...] This post...
  5. Clean Install

Clean Install: Hello I am going to do a clean install of windows 10 but I have a few questions. Im still busy making space on the computer's hard disk and also on an external drive (for backup purposes) Since I belong to the insider program the latest build that I currently have is...
  6. Clean install vs refresh or restore

Clean install vs refresh or restore: Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors I have updated to win10 from 8 which carried over all my previously installed programs, but was considering a clean install via usb and reinstalling all the...
  7. Refresh/Reset/Clean Install on Activated Free Upgrade Version?

Refresh/Reset/Clean Install on Activated Free Upgrade Version?: I have a laptop that came with Win7/8 that I upgraded to Win10 while it was free. The hard drive failed, so I replaced it, restored the OS to Win8 from backup, then upgraded back to Win10 and says it's activated. I have purchased a new laptop and want to sell this one,...
  8. Windows refresh fails, after clean install no activation.

Windows refresh fails, after clean install no activation.: I was refreshing Windows 10 to fix some issues with the store, when after at least 90% completion, the PC looped into restarting again and again. Eventually, I installed windows 10 from a USB, and now i've lost my upgrade, and Microsoft views it as two PC's. In addition to...
  9. Clean Install

Clean Install: I upgraded both of my PC's from Windows 8.1 Pro. If I want to do a clean install from a USB drive do I need one from each PC or will one work with both? 13120
  10. Clean install or not

Clean install or not: I installed W10 over virgin copies of W7 Pro on two computers. After a clean disk to get rid of all install files I will have pretty much a clean install. What would be the advantage to now do a complete clean install ? Everything seems to be working ok. 12715