Windows 10: Clean Install Partition Question

Discus and support Clean Install Partition Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andyouf, Jun 14, 2018.

1. andyouf Win User

Clean Install Partition Question

Hi,

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned.

After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the partitions until it just said "Drive 0 Unallocated Space." Then, instead of clicking next and let Windows handle it like they do in all the YT videos I chose that drive and clicked "New." This created Recovery, System, MSR, and Primary partitions. There was a pop-up that came up after I clicked "New" to adjust the space but I did not do anything with that. I clicked the primary partition, hit "Next", and proceeded with the installation.

My question is should I have highlighted the drive when it was in "Unallocated Space" status and proceeded from there? Was it wrong to click "New" and make the partitions myself? I have everything set-up and am now wondering if I need to do another clean install.

:)

andyouf, Jun 14, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 15, 2018
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 15, 2018
  4. Clean Install Partition Question

Partition problem during clean install of Win 10

Partition problem during clean install. I get the message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

I'm trying to do a clean install (after a successful upgrade so this laptop has been activated on Windows 10). Super basic situation - single blank internal SATA HDD in a 2010-era Dell laptop, installing from a USB stick, same installation media used for the
    successful upgrade. No complications - dual boot, multiple drives, Linux, etc.

After I select the Custom install option the window showing disk partitions is shown. My disk is there (the only one) but no matter how I delete/create/format it I get the message noted above.

I have searched the web of course, found and tried the following:

• Made sure the hard drive is first in the boot order in the BIOS
    • Used the "diskpart" utility and the sequence of commands suggested to clean, partition and format the disk.
    • Tried leaving the disk blank (without any partitions) and also tried creating a single Primary partition.
    • Pulled the USB stick for a few seconds right after accepting the license, before the custom install selection. (A weird suggestion but I tried it).
    Any ideas?

DavidCarlson3, Jun 15, 2018
Thema:

Clean Install Partition Question

1. Clean Install Partition Question - Similar Threads - Clean Install Partition

2. Clean Install - Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  3. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  4. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  5. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  6. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: Hello I need some help/confirmation on what I intend to do in the near future. I am currently a windows insider on the slow ring and I have build 14342 installed, I want to get out of the insider program (I know how to do that in settings) but it raises a few questions....
  7. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions before i do it. The first is about activating i read somewhere that you can use your windows 7 key with the new build. So do i...
  8. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  9. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...