Windows 10: Clean install question.

Discus and support Clean install question. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DooGie, Jul 16, 2015.

1. DooGie Win User

Clean install question.

It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso.
    I've searched all over the place but never found a definitive answer to this.

:)

DooGie, Jul 16, 2015

2. Clean Installation Activation Question

Hi Jon,

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you need to use the
    Upgrade this PC
    now option. If you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet and perform a clean installation, you'll need to enter a product key or buy a license in order to activate Windows 10.

Refer to the link for more information:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope it helps.

Rohit Siddegowda, Jul 16, 2015
  3. w1mnk Win User
    Clean Installation Activation Question

Does this statement (from MS Support)

"Clean install of Windows 10 will prompt you for product key of Windows 7 or 8.1, you have to enter the previous version windows (Windows 7/8.1) product key to activate Windows"

conflict with this statement (first bullet) (from MVP)

Things you should know:

• A Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product keycannot activate Windows 10. Windows 10 uses its own unique product key.

• By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one as long as you upgraded from anactivated Windows
      7 or Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 license or Windows 10 Preview build.

w1mnk, Jul 16, 2015
  4. DKW
    DKW Win User

Clean install question.

Microsoft will no doubt provide a link. The details have not been released, yet.

5. swarfega Win User
    I think what will happen is once you've upgraded using the Windows icon your 7/8/8.1 key will then be tied to your windows 10. After that you should able to clean install.

Don't quote me on this though as it's not been confirmed yet.

swarfega, Jul 16, 2015
  6. DooGie Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    The main reason I was asking about this is that I'm currently dual booting Windows 10 build 10240 and Windows 7. When the Win 10 update is available I want to update my Win 7 install to Win 10 after first wiping my current Win 10 installation. However I will probably upgrading my motherboard, CPU and adding a SSD in around 3 months. So am wondering how to get around this.
    My Windows 7 is the retail version though not OEM.

DooGie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean install question.

1. Clean install question. - Similar Threads - Clean install question

2. Clean Win11 install question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Win11 install question: My Windows 10 Home PC is a self build. The Win10 is a retail copy, I still have the original USB and key. I would like to do a clean install of Win11 for my upgrade with a new M.2 NVMe ssd vs. upgrading on the same ssd disk. Need to know how to handle the Windows key when the...
  3. Clean Install Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  4. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  5. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  6. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  7. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: Hello I need some help/confirmation on what I intend to do in the near future. I am currently a windows insider on the slow ring and I have build 14342 installed, I want to get out of the insider program (I know how to do that in settings) but it raises a few questions....
  8. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions before i do it. The first is about activating i read somewhere that you can use your windows 7 key with the new build. So do i...
  9. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  10. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595