Windows 10: Clean install questions

Discus and support Clean install questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xiusho, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Xiusho Win User

Clean install questions

I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions before i do it. The first is about activating i read somewhere that you can use your windows 7 key with the new build. So do i enter my key during install or wait until the OS is done. The other question is in my BIOS under the boot menu i have both UEFI and legacy boot. So what one should i use to install windows 10 on?

:)

Xiusho, Nov 16, 2015

2. clean install questions please help

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

To install Windows 10 from the ISO you will need to have a bootable media. I would suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO from the link below and create a bootable media(USB/DVD) and install Windows 10 on your laptop.

Download Windows 10

Download Windows 10

Windows 10 FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Sara Mohammedi, Nov 16, 2015
  3. clean install questions please help

I have reformatted my external hdd, backed up all files onto it and I put the ISO on it because the windows creation would not do it as a usb.

I have a hp laptop. How do I boot from the ISO on the hdd?

Bluesmyfavoritecolor, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Clean install questions

You won't need a key to activate Windows 10, as it has already been done. The clean install will finish and show as activated.

As for the BIOS, I'm going to say you want UEFI, but others will be able to shed better light on this part of your question. I'm about to build a new tower, so I'm curious as well.

DeaconFrost, Nov 16, 2015
  5. As said, you won't need a product key to install to your computer, just clean install via CD or USB, and it does all of that for you (since you've already upgraded). As for UEFI... I like it, it is the newer, faster way of doing the BIOS, so I recommend using it.

Follow the tutorial and it will show you how to use UEFI: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
    NOTE: the tutorial is step by step, but step 12 is how to install WITHOUT UEFI, and 13 is how to install WITH UEFI. Make sure you read, before you follow the step.

DustSailor, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Xiusho Win User
    Thanks for the info very helpful. I'm making my usb installer right now.

Xiusho, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean install questions

1. Clean install questions - Similar Threads - Clean install questions

2. Clean Win11 install question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Win11 install question: My Windows 10 Home PC is a self build. The Win10 is a retail copy, I still have the original USB and key. I would like to do a clean install of Win11 for my upgrade with a new M.2 NVMe ssd vs. upgrading on the same ssd disk. Need to know how to handle the Windows key when the...
  3. Clean Install Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  4. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  5. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  6. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  7. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: Hello I need some help/confirmation on what I intend to do in the near future. I am currently a windows insider on the slow ring and I have build 14342 installed, I want to get out of the insider program (I know how to do that in settings) but it raises a few questions....
  8. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  9. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...