Windows 10: Clean install questions

Discus and support Clean install questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I need some help/confirmation on what I intend to do in the near future. I am currently a windows insider on the slow ring and I have build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nickynoo, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Nickynoo Win User

Clean install questions

Hello

I need some help/confirmation on what I intend to do in the near future.

I am currently a windows insider on the slow ring and I have build 14342 installed, I want to get out of the insider program (I know how to do that in settings) but it raises a few questions. Since the build that I have installed is not a build that was publicly released what will happen? It is my intention to clean install the anniversary edition and let windows update as normal with it cumulative updates and whatnot. I am currently freeing up space on an external drive for a backup of my hard disk (or a system image with Macrium Reflect) - what is the difference? And do images take up as much space as the data they are imaged from? Also, do I wait until the insiders on the slow ring get the anniversary edition and then clean install it from the ISO that Ive downloaded?, another possible route is to let my system upgrade to this anniversary edition and then create the ISO from the update - I have no idea how to do that so if it is an option could somebody please point me in the right direction.

My ultimate goal is to have the anniversary release clean installed and to have regular backups created either by Macrium Reflect or another program so I can easily restore if there is a problem. I have never used Macrium but I need to create a backup (or image) to restore my installed program I have quite a few.

Thanks

:)

Nickynoo, Jun 6, 2016

2. clean install questions please help

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

To install Windows 10 from the ISO you will need to have a bootable media. I would suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO from the link below and create a bootable media(USB/DVD) and install Windows 10 on your laptop.

Download Windows 10

Download Windows 10

Windows 10 FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Sara Mohammedi, Jun 6, 2016
  3. clean install questions please help

I have reformatted my external hdd, backed up all files onto it and I put the ISO on it because the windows creation would not do it as a usb.

I have a hp laptop. How do I boot from the ISO on the hdd?

Bluesmyfavoritecolor, Jun 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Clean install questions

Is your current Windows installation activated with a digital entitlement? (Settings, Updates and Security, Activation tab on left). If it is then you can either clean install the Anniversary Update or upgrade to it, either way.

A system image created by Macrium Reflect will be a single file that is 80-90% in size of the used space of whatever you are backing up. You should image your entire hard drive, so the image file would be 80-90% in size of the used space of your entire hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  5. Nickynoo Win User
    Thanks for the response, my current copy has digital entitlement. Are you saying that if I choose to leave the insider program on build 14342 that my windows 10 will not roll back to the last public build (cant remember but ends in 58 I think) but in time will update to new builds as they are made available to the public?

Nickynoo, Jun 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. The only way to go backwards is if you still have Windows.old on your hard drive and have the option to revert to previous OS on the troubleshooting menu. That has proved to be not so reliable in the past, so I wouldn't bother with it, if everything was working OK on the insider build. Leave the current build on and it will update to the Anniversary Update. And if it doesn't automatically, just download the ISO file when it comes out and do it manually.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  7. Nickynoo Win User
    You are setting my mind at rest, thankyou.

Ive read all over the place that a clean install is the way to go, are you saying that that is not the case?
    Also creating an ISO for a clean install from an upgrade - what is that process called, I think esd to iso, Im sure there is a tutorial about that.

Nickynoo, Jun 6, 2016
  8. Nickynoo Win User

Clean install questions

Sorry just reread your post...
    My steps
    get out of the insider program
    do a macrium reflect image of the entire hard disk
    let my build 14342 update to the anniversary edition - make an iso from the update for clean install
    failing that download the iso and clean install

Nickynoo, Jun 6, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep, pretty much.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  10. Nickynoo Win User
    Thanks Navy. I just watched Kari's video tutorial about creating an iso from an esd. Does the iso file need to be on a bootable drive like the media creation tool?

Nickynoo, Jun 6, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will need to burn a USB flash drive or DVD from it if you want to use it for a clean install. To upgrade from it, you just need to mount the ISO file and run setup.exe from the drive letter that is created when you mount it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean install questions

1. Clean install questions - Similar Threads - Clean install questions

2. Clean Win11 install question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Win11 install question: My Windows 10 Home PC is a self build. The Win10 is a retail copy, I still have the original USB and key. I would like to do a clean install of Win11 for my upgrade with a new M.2 NVMe ssd vs. upgrading on the same ssd disk. Need to know how to handle the Windows key when the...
  3. Clean Install Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  4. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  5. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  6. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  7. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions before i do it. The first is about activating i read somewhere that you can use your windows 7 key with the new build. So do i...
  8. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  9. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...