Windows 10: Clean Install Stuck

Discus and support Clean Install Stuck in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A properly created Windows 10 USB flash drive will boot just fine with secure boot enabled. Fast boot has to be disabled in UEFI (sometimes) in order... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by copiman, Apr 4, 2018.

1. copiman Win User

Clean Install Stuck

Thanks for the clarification. Putting this in my notes library.

copiman, Apr 4, 2018
  2. copiman Win User

I am doing a clean install on a laptop that had 10 on it. The hard drive was removed and all deleted. I am using an ISO on DVD that has been used before. My issue is it is stuck at "Getting files ready for installation (11%)" for 3 hours. I have not had this happen before with this DVD. Anyone know what my next step would be? I was going to just stop it and start over but thought I would post in case that's a bad idea.

:)

copiman, Apr 13, 2018
  3. JonKrisp Win User
    Windows 10 install stuck after first reboot/ clean install on a new SSD.

Windows 10 install stuck after first reboot/ clean install on a new SSD. I don't have any peripheral connected (only mouse and keyboard) or any other hdd. I followed the steps from microsoft win 10 clean install, but everytime get stuck after first
    reboot. The first problem was that the install ( from a flash drive) get stuck at the first logo, but I changed my videocard with the onboard one and now its working and the install start.

JonKrisp, Apr 13, 2018
  4. Clean Install Stuck

windows 10 clean install stuck in various different times

Follow the illustrated install steps in this tutorial which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Unplug all other hard drives and peripherals. Check for newer BIOS or UEFI firmware update so you know you have the latest.

Make sure that you boot the media as a UEFI device if you have the modern UEFI BIOS, do a Custom Install, delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space, click next to create and format the needed partitions automatically so it's foolproof.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 13, 2018
  5. Hi copiman.

Not understanding how old your ISO is it might just be better to get a fresh copy and start over. I would just create a USB Thumb drive, all outlined in tutorial. Software activation is free as you already had 10.

Clean Install Windows 10

Step 13 has you deleting all partitions. Please ensure if your data is in one of those partitions you don't delete it.

If you use the media creation tool, and you can create an ISO, you will be getting version 1709.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 13, 2018
  6. Even a low end USB 2.0 flash drive is nearly 2x the speed of a DVD. If you can use that it will help it go a bit faster also.

Access Denied, Apr 13, 2018
  7. And not to forget reading reliability. A small thumbdrive is so much more reliable in any way compared to a DVD.

slicendice, Apr 13, 2018
  8. copiman Win User

Clean Install Stuck

I formatted a USB drive. Its 32G, Fat32, Type is Primary. Is this ok?

copiman, Apr 14, 2018
  9. There is no need to format it. The Windows 10 MCT will do this when you make the install media. It will format it and put everything as you need it.

Access Denied, Apr 14, 2018
  10. Agree, tool does the work.

Caledon Ken, Apr 14, 2018
  11. copiman Win User
    Thanks everyone for your help. Learned a lot. I used Rufus and tried but the laptop would not support boot to USB. I then re-downloaded 10 and burned to dvd. This worked as it should. Laptop has 10 now and all updates.

I do however like rufus. When I just used microsoft's media creation tool and selected USB that did not work for me. Rufus was actually easy and has a portable version.

After the fact I think that not booting to USB may be because I read that in order to boot to USB, secure boot must be disabled and legacy support enabled. Is this true?

Thanks again for everyone's support. Ya,ll ROCK.

copiman, Apr 14, 2018
  12. No.

Secure boot should be off as outlined in tutorial as well as fast boot.

Legacy also does not have to be set as long as you told it to boot UEFI.

The key has to be plugged in when the boot starts or the option won't be there?

Is your disk MBR or GPT?

Caledon Ken, Apr 14, 2018
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Clean Install Stuck

A properly created Windows 10 USB flash drive will boot just fine with secure boot enabled. Fast boot has to be disabled in UEFI (sometimes) in order to enable getting to the boot menu that allows booting from USB.

NavyLCDR, Apr 14, 2018
  14. copiman Win User
    Thanks for the clarification. The disk is GPT.

copiman, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

Clean Install Stuck

1. Clean Install Stuck - Similar Threads - Clean Install Stuck

2. Stuck at "Just A Moment" Clean Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck at "Just A Moment" Clean Install: I've clean install my Win 10 Asus laptop. When the screen started for "Just A Moment" screen, there is no respond in few an hour. Anyone have a suggestion?...
  3. Stuck at "Just A Moment" Clean Install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck at "Just A Moment" Clean Install: I've clean install my Win 10 Asus laptop. When the screen started for "Just A Moment" screen, there is no respond in few an hour. Anyone have a suggestion?...
  4. Stuck at "Just A Moment" Clean Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean install stuck

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install stuck: Hello guys When i am doing a clean install on pc it gets stuck at 18%. I used windows tool to create bootable usb, cleaned all my partition and it still didnt Work. I have No idea what else to do. Please help me submitted by /u/Dayeretth [link] [comments]...
  6. W10 Clean Install/Stuck in Loop

W10 Clean Install/Stuck in Loop: I went for a clean install using the Media Creation Tool 1909... booted up on USB and all went well. After the machine rebooted I realized I hadn't cleared all partitions initially, so I stopped the install by powering off (held power off button). When I restarted the PC I...
  7. Clean Windows installation stuck

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Windows installation stuck: Hello. I've been trying to install Windows for 3 days now. I finally got it to burn to a DVD but now it gets stuck at "Getting files ready for installation (95%)". I gave it plenty of time the first attempt by letting it run overnight, but it was stuck there. I did do alot of...
  8. Windows 10 1903. Clean install stuck

Windows 10 1903. Clean install stuck: trying to do a clean install of Windows 10. The first boot is fine ( create the partition, 1 to 100% file copy) When it reboots, it sits with the circling dots and doesn't do anything past this point ( the next part would be the finding devices, but not even getting that...
  9. Windows 10 Clean Install Stuck

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Clean Install Stuck: I attempted a Clean Install after the Blue Screen of Death. It has been stuck at 30% for over 3 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would putting in a new hard drive solve this problem? Thanks!...
  10. Windows 10 clean install stuck installing updates

Windows 10 clean install stuck installing updates: Greetings, I've just registered into this forum, i hope there would be someone who can solve my problem, thanks before My device: Laptop Asus G73SW Core i7 8GB RAM 460M 2x1TB drive UEFI support (but still with old bios interface) Media & method used: 8GB usb...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install windows stuck