Windows 10: Clean Install then Recover Backup?

Discus and support Clean Install then Recover Backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Long story sort I kind of messed up my GPT partition table. I have backed up an image of my Boot partition only (C:\) and not any other partitions such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Salad Fingers, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Clean Install then Recover Backup?

Long story sort I kind of messed up my GPT partition table. I have backed up an image of my Boot partition only (C:\) and not any other partitions such as bootloader etc...

So my question is, would I be able to start all over, re-format the drive from Win10 installation media and do a clean install, then paste my backup onto just the boot partition leaving everything else in tact? I know how to rebuild the bootsector in case I can't boot.

Is this going to work?

Edit: Wasn't sure if this should go here on into the Install section, mods feel free to move it if needed.

:)

Salad Fingers, Nov 16, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Cannot reset, recover clean install windows 10

Hi Amit, you can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

IMPORTANT

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

Click this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-downlo...

to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 8GB) using that tool

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS) to begin installing Windows 10

IMPORTANT

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS:

Insert the Bootable Installation Media, then go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Enable Legacy Boot

3. If Available enable CSM

4. If Required enable USB Boot

5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order

6. Save BIOS changes, restart your System and it should boot from the Installation Media

DaveM121, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Clean Install then Recover Backup?

It should work, after you rebuild the BCD to point to the GUID of the operating system partition which will change when you restore the backup.

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Thanks for your answer. It worked perfectly and it even run an "automatic repair" on its own and fixed the BCD itself!

Salad Fingers, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Clean Install then Recover Backup?

1. Clean Install then Recover Backup? - Similar Threads - Clean Install Recover

2. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  3. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  4. how to recover files after clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to recover files after clean install?: Hi, I am a new employee who did a clean install of Windows 10 due to work circumstances, in which I needed to use Internet Explorer daily in order to get some report. That certain website can only be used in IE, at my first day, the pc was already upgraded to Windows 11....
  5. how to recover files after clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to recover files after clean install?: Hi, I am a new employee who did a clean install of Windows 10 due to work circumstances, in which I needed to use Internet Explorer daily in order to get some report. That certain website can only be used in IE, at my first day, the pc was already upgraded to Windows 11....
  6. how to recover files after clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Recovering Files After a Clean Install

Recovering Files After a Clean Install: Recently I had to perform a clean install and am now "reassembling" my programs and files. Before cleaning my disk I used Windows File History to save my data on an external drive. I've searched for how to restore my files but anything I've found assumes that the backup was...
  8. recovering files after a clean install

recovering files after a clean install: hey everyone, I am trying to recover some files after my computer crashed and I installed windows 10 thereafter. Could you please suggest a good method/software ideally free or not too expensive to help me with this?...
  9. Data Backup before Clean Install

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Data Backup before Clean Install: Hello friends, I have started a small repair business and my question revolves around data backup options while doing a clean install on a PC. Generally before doing the clean install, I take a backup of data (User Library such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures,...
  10. How to backup programs for clean installation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup programs for clean installation: I plan on doing a clean install of Windows however, as I have limited time and slow internet speed, downloading all the programs again that I currently have would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. How do I backup all of my programs so that I can just restore them...