Windows 10: Clean install to different disk drive?

Discus and support Clean install to different disk drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have successfully upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (and solved the initial network connection problems). However my OS has a lot of crud from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ptbptb, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ptbptb Win User

Clean install to different disk drive?

I have successfully upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (and solved the initial network connection problems).

However my OS has a lot of crud from the pre-upgrade state and I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10, without losing any old data files. I've read online guides on doing clean installs of Windows 10, but it is not clear whether you can only install into partitions that already have a valid Windows OS installed.

My computer has two identical hard disks, one of which is (or can be made) blank so what I would like to do is keep one with the 'cruddy' version of Windows 10 - at least until I have copied over all the files I want to keep and made sure I've installed all the software I want on the new 'clean install' Windows 10.

So, are there people out there who have done this? Are there things I should look out for? Any hints, guidelines, etc?

Thanks in advance. *Smile

:)

ptbptb, Aug 9, 2015
  2. suat.cini Win User

ATI Radeon HD 4200 driver problem

It is very interesting to note that, in the beginning you said you clean-installed Windows 10 and your issues remained. Now you reset your computer and your issues seem to have gone away.

There may be some areas in your Windows disk that need attention. Clean-install and reset may use different areas on your storage disk that make your installation fail or be successful. So a check-disk may be in order.

I thought you should know.

suat.cini, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Install/Reinstall Win 10 on various OEM machines?

Hi,

There is a big difference between install and reinstall of 10.

This is the original installation information.

It is a free Upgrade to 10, not a clean install, that you have to do.

If you do a clean install to start with 10, instead on an upgrade, you will have to buy 10..

You can't use different manufacturer's OEM disks on different machines.

You don't tell us the operating systems for us to assist you further.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Aug 9, 2015
  4. acmanten Win User

Wow, I cannot wait to see many of the replies to your comments above...
    thanks, Cliff

acmanten, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    Don't you need two separate Windows 10 licenses to perform this kind of OS trickery?

Rocky, Aug 9, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    What I would do is install Macrium Reflect. Create an image of your system hard drive and save it to the second hard drive. Then do a clean install of Windows 10 to your system hard drive. That way you don't have to mess with changing hard drive boot order in BIOS. Install Macrium Reflect on the clean Windows 10 install and that will allow you to mount the image you created earlier and you can retrieve specific files from it.

With a Windows 10 USB stick or DVD created with the Media Creation Tool you can do a clean install of Windows 10 to a completely bare hard drive without even any partitions on it.

If something goes horribly wrong, you can use Macrium Reflect to restore the image back to the booting hard drive and be right back where you started. Macrium Reflect also allows you to create a rescue USB/DVD from which you can restore the image.

No. He is making a backup image of his existing installation - not dual booting with it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 9, 2015
  7. ptbptb Win User
    Thanks for your detailed post. I had looked at using Macrium Reflect, but not in the manner you suggest. I wasn't getting very far (I think I need to do a full HD scan for errors / bad blocks). Hopefully your method will be more effective. I will have to read and reflect (pun unintended) on it for a while to be sure I'm clear on everything. *Wink

I am already using the Media Creation Tool - currently 23% downloaded onto a USB drive.

Wish me luck!

[EDIT] Oh yeah. Obviously I should make sure I have all the settings I need to get my Internet connection up and running after a clean install printed out or otherwise saved securely! Lol. Anyone doing a clean install take note. Clean install to different disk drive? :p

ptbptb, Aug 9, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

and that is one of the advantages to having the backup image - if it comes right down to it, you can restore the image you created and reboot back to where you started and there is no danger of any new operating system/upgrade messing with it because the image file is read only.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  9. ptbptb Win User
    OK, things are not going great. :/

The problems seem to be down to (small?) errors in the source disk. I can't create a disk image or clone the partitions because of them. I have tried Windows 10 chkdsk and HD Tune, but no joy yet. They don't seem to find the same errors that are found by Reflect and EaseUS Partition Master.

[EDIT] OK, that was scary.

I tried using Tuneup Suite 2014 to find and fix my hard disk errors. Things got worse. To the point that my computer failed to boot up several times. Eventually Windows 10 started in repair / diagnosis mode and successfully fixed the NEW hard disk problems that were stopping it starting normally.

I admit that I might have made things worse because I turned the computer off when it was stuck at 11% complete for 10 minutes with Tuneup Suite 2014. I still don't fancy using that utility again, though!

ptbptb, Aug 10, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Maybe its time to just buy a new hard drive?

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  11. ptbptb Win User
    Lol, maybe. But AFTER I get it backed up, kthxbai.

Seriously though the disk errors that were causing the problems seem to be three file linkage problems and one bad sector.

Progress Update.

Now the source partition is free of disk errors (apparently) I can make disk images with Reflect, and copy partitions (I used EaseUS Partition Master) for that. I set the copied partition on the second disk to 'Active' and - going via the computer's BIOS - I can boot up on that partition. The disk image from Reflect is also on the second disk (So I've got it 'both ways'). I'm going to try doing a clean install from the USB drive over the first disk now.

ptbptb, Aug 10, 2015
  12. ptbptb Win User
    Yay! The new clean install is OK, I'm still connected to the Internet and the old data is still there on a different disk.

Also my hard disk didn't die.

I'm marking this as 'solved'. *Smile

ptbptb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install to different disk drive? - Similar Threads - Clean install different

2. Clean install to new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install to new drive: I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it currently resides on a HDD. What I can't seem to figure out is if a straight up clean install, setting the new drive as its...
  3. Clean install places recovery drive at beginning of disk.

Clean install places recovery drive at beginning of disk.: Hi all, I’ve just done a clean install of Windows 1903 & noticed it placed the recovery partition at the beginning of the drive. Drive is GPT which I believed placed the recovery at the end. Everything works so am not worried but thought I’d ask to see if anyone else had...
  4. installing to different drive

installing to different drive: I only use my c drive for windows. I want to install all other programs to my d drive in windows 10. how do I change the default drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-to-different-drive/80b5b159-c3aa-48a9-8e0d-da14a95c9482
  5. Clean install with different language

Clean install with different language: Hello Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 Home Single language but in a different language? I have a laptop in Spanish and it is Single language but I want to do a clean install in English. Will I loose my digital licence? Thank you....
  6. DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install: [img] how to deleted a drive ?? please help 97306
  7. Phantom Drives on clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Phantom Drives on clean install: I've been working on a Win10 clean install for a few weeks and this has been a huge uphill battle. Every day I seem to encounter some very weird issue and it takes me days/weeks to resolve. Tonight I just encountered several phantom drives. In the following image the drives...
  8. Clean Install - Disk at 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clean Install - Disk at 100%: Seems several people are having this issue. I clean installed Windows 10 64 bit on 3 of my laptops. Two of them have spinning disks, one has an SSD. The one with the SSD is fine, disk usage sits under 10% when idle. The other two, on the other hand, are constantly between...
  9. Clean Install - Multiple drives

Clean Install - Multiple drives: I have a Gateway ZX6800 AIO - previously W7 to W10 upgrades failed but I was able to do clean install. I did this on using a new Samsung SSD with other HD disconnected. I upgrade storage drive from 1TB to 2TB and copied all my data files to the new drive (D*Smile. I have W10...
  10. Windows 10 - clean install different language

Windows 10 - clean install different language: Say my version of Windows 10 pro is German x64 Say I create a DVD (via media creation tool) and before creating the media I select English x64 Then do a clean install from that media. Q: Will then the English version be installed and activated? = 14174

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install windows different disk