Windows 10: Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation

Discus and support Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just got off the phone with MS Support.*Mad My current HD is so full I decided to install a new Crucial 500GB SSD to hold the OS and all Apps. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gvlral, Jul 29, 2015.

1. gvlral Win User

Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation

I just got off the phone with MS Support.*Mad My current HD is so full I decided to install a new Crucial 500GB SSD to hold the OS and all Apps. I have downloaded Win 10 ISO and burned it to a Disc with the intent of installing to the new SSD which will be the primary while using the old 1TB HD for Data Storage. The issue was the requirement for a product key where do I get it. I was told that to install in this manner would require me to purchase a copy!*Mad To say the least I was not happy. I then asked, that if I off loaded some files and upgraded to the old HD then installed the SSD and did a clean install to it would it require a product key to activate. Told yes I would need to purchase Win 10. *Mad I also asked if I lose my HD in the future does that mean I have to by a copy, answer was basically, yes.

The question is, Based upon what I have been reading here on the forum, the answer given to my last question by the MS support individual was not correct and it should work. Has anyone done it and can anyone verify that sequence will work?

:)

gvlral, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Rohn007 Win User

My M.2 2280 Hard drive is going bad

I don't quite understand the problem. Is this correct:

You have an i7-7700K cpu with Windows 10 installed and activated on an "old" Crucial 275 GB SSD. That SSD has died so you bought an new, "better" SSD to replace it.

If that is the case you can do it either way. If you have an image copy backup of the old system, aka a "clone", you should be able to restore it onto the new drive. The Windows 10 activation system should recognize the new drive and allow the activation to
    happen without intervention from you.

Or you can do a clean Windows 10 install, which should be automatically activated.

The new drive is not a problem. Your license allows you to transfer it to new drives. You just have to install.

Rohn007, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Cannot install Windows 10 on SSD using AHCI

It seems you've tried everything short of clearing all code on the SSD by running Diskpart Clean Command from Win7 disk Command
    Prompt. But that most common fix for Installation failures is not necessarily indicated when the disk cannot even be seen when correctly attempting install in AHCI mode.

In this case I'd contact Crucial Support since the SSD is new and you're entitled for a year to their Support or replacement. In numerous cases I've seen over the years new SSD's have proven to be bad and needed replacement. Having Crucial supervise the
    attempted install and needed testing with their preferred tools sets it up for smooth RMA.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Chris2005 Win User

I'm not quite sure what you're saying... a drive replacement shouldn't affect activation like a motherboard, etc. replacement would.

However, if you first upgraded from a qualifying Windows 7 SP1 or 8.1 installation, you should be able to then do a clean install of Windows 10 without a problem.

Chris2005, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation - Similar Threads - Clean Install Crucial

2. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over 500 gigs of worth, I don't want to re-download them again on slow internet connection it will be...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  4. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  5. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  6. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  7. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  8. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  9. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...