Windows 10: Clean install vs refresh or restore

Discus and support Clean install vs refresh or restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors I have updated to win10 from 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xboxhaxorz, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Clean install vs refresh or restore

Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors

I have updated to win10 from 8 which carried over all my previously installed programs, but was considering a clean install via usb and reinstalling all the programs as i have had a few errors with programs starting and a few random bsod BUT in the past wk no real issues so i assume updated took care of it

So i kind of want to do a full format and recreate the partitions and then install, will i receive any benefit from this

:)

xboxhaxorz, Aug 25, 2015

2. Unable to boot, reset, refresh, or clean install

What you have is a hybrid drive. The SSD portion of the storage device should be transparent. It should appear just as a single drive during setup.

Its possible the disk could be corrupt if its stuck during that portion of setup.

You might have to get it replaced.

Before you do, try checking the health of the drive.

How to Prevent Hard Drive Failures by Checking and ... - groovyPost

Andre Da Costa, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Unable to boot, reset, refresh, or clean install

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Could you describe how you performed a clean install?

Did you actually boot from install media, delete all partition, select the unallocated partition, then click New, select the Primary partition then click Next?

Andre Da Costa, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Clean install vs refresh or restore

Hello aboxhaxorz, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You could do either option for the issue you have.

A clean install gives the best results, but is also the most work.

Brink, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

Clean install vs refresh or restore

1. Clean install vs refresh or restore - Similar Threads - Clean install refresh

2. Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install problems vs upgrade NO problems: So bear with me, this may be a little long and potentially confusing... At a client, using local AD, ~80 PCs about 60 are Win11 Pro, remaining are Win10 Pro, their policy is when they get a new system, say a Dell OptiPlex, that the system be formatted with an ISO downloaded...
  3. Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Advanced Recovery option offers recovery solutions which can help you bring back Windows 10 to a working condition. These are extreme solutions when nothing else can be done. That said, before one uses one of these solutions, its [...] This post...
  4. restore/refresh

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore/refresh: Perhaps a very obvious question but I don't know the difference: how does "refresh computer" differ from going back to a given restore point? 106623
  5. Registry restoration on a clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry restoration on a clean install: I recently had to do a clean install for windows 10 due to my computer deadlocking twice a day randomly. I backed up every application and even created a backup of my computer's registry in regedit before committing to a clean install. When I finished with reinstalling...
  6. Reset vs Clean Install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset vs Clean Install?: I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then running Setup. I would now like to do a clean reinstall. Since I do not have bootable external media for the notebook, I'm...
  7. Clean Install or Refresh ?

Clean Install or Refresh ?: Because of some problems I want to reinstall Windows 10. I have done a repair reinstall twice and not entirely happy. I get the error on shutdown that Explorer can't write to a memory location and my memory has been tested (memtest86). There is also a display problem with...
  8. reset pc vs clean install win10

reset pc vs clean install win10: The reason I'm asking is because clicking the update and security in the windows settings brings up a page with different options where there is one for recovery. Clicking that recovery option opens another page with 3 options on the right - reset this pc; advanced start-up;...
  9. Upgrade vs Clean Install

Upgrade vs Clean Install: The fix for many problems seems to be a Clean Install but this is defeating part of the test process. When 10 is released, I would bet 90% of the people who switch will do an upgrade because that is what they are being offered. Few will know what a Clean Install is, much less...
  10. install size Update vs Clean

install size Update vs Clean: Running on a 128GB SSD card, the Windows directory is around 50 GB's. Not much room left for anything else. Windows 8 was significantly less. After every update I delete the $Windows~BT directory and the Windows.old directory to free up about 8GB's.. but it's not enough....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install vs restore windows10

2. clean install vs restore