Windows 10: Clean install w10 from w8

Discus and support Clean install w10 from w8 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joyt, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Joyt Win User

Clean install w10 from w8

Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me..
    My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt booting up.. i found others ways to convert gpt to MBR but in that way ill loose the data I had stored in E drive which is important.. please help me with any idea that you have in mind so i can recover my files also I tried installing w8 but its giving the same error - cant install in GPT
    (I have access to command prompt and i believe that is the only way out, if there is any other possible way then please assist) thanks

:)

2. baggadap Win User

Activation Error Code: 0xc004e016; Fresh Install Windows10 with (Win8 Product Key)

You cannot activate W10 with your W8 key. Restore W8, activate, upgrade to W10. Then you can clean install if you want. Do not enter any keys when installing W10. If it asks, press Skip.

baggadap, Aug 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi just wanted to know if I need to clean install to w10, upgraded from xp 32bit to w8 64bit pro upgrade and had to clean install will I need to do the same because it's an upgrade of an upgrade?

STUARTWILLIAMS92, Aug 14, 2017
  4. Clean install w10 from w8

Hi Joyt. Welcome to the TenForums @Joyt

Agree, first get your data. Boot with this and you can use normal windows tools to copy off device.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Now I'm not exactly following what you did? Did this PC have Windows 10 on it and then you decided to do a clean install or did it have 8.x and you decide to do a clean install of 10?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 14, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You need to disable CSM booting in UEFI (BIOS) Settings and boot your USB flash drives in UEFI mode.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2017
  6. Rocky Win User
    Step One: Back up all data. Just disconnect your E: drive for now,
    Step Two: Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 10, that way you will get the free upgrade.
    Step Three: Do a clean install of Windows 10. It will only install onto your C: drive.
    Step 4: Reconnect your E: drive.

Rocky, Aug 14, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Except it sounds like his E: drive is just a data partition and not a separate physical drive.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2017
  8. Rocky Win User

Not good. This the 21st century and the mantra is
    back up
    back up
    back up

There are a million things that can happen to a computer and no one wants to lose their personal data.

Rocky, Aug 15, 2017
  9. Joyt Win User
    Thanks everyone for their valuable feedback @Caledon Ken @NavyLCDR @Rocky

The problem is I cant backup now as my laptop isn't booting up as I have erased w8 and now it is asking me to change disk format to MBR. and Ken I had w8 on my system i was clean installing w10 so I thought as I'm installing w10 I formatted the C drive, My data is in E drive, now without the computer starting I cant get my data back. Rocky can you please suggest how do i disconnect E drive ? ( E drive is a partition I had in W8 and I hadnt backed up in any external drive) what I was thinking is if there was a possible way where I can Change only C drive from GPT to MBR format through CMD so Ican install W10, or is it possible to back up the drive using CMD ? and what I was also thinking (as the last method) is to get a SATA to USB converter and connect to other system and manually copy the files and then convert disk from GPT to MBR. please suggest if there is any other way out..

Thanks guys

10. Joyt Win User
    Thanks everyone for their valuable feedback @Caledon Ken @NavyLCDR @Rocky

The problem is I cant backup now as my laptop isn't booting up as I have erased w8 and now it is asking me to change disk format to MBR. and Ken I had w8 on my system I was clean installing w10 so I formatted the C drive, My data is in E drive, now without the computer starting I cant get my data back. and yes Rocky E drive is the partition of HDD, also NavyLCDR even if disable CSM booting in UEFI, it is asking to change disk format from GPT to MBR and to change that i need to format complete HDD. what I was thinking is if there was a possible way where I can Change only C drive from GPT to MBR format through CMD (without formatting) so I can install W10, or is it possible to back up E drive using CMD ? and what I was also thinking (as the last method) is to get a SATA to USB converter and connect to other system and manually copy the files and then erase complete HDD and convert disk from GPT to MBR. please suggest if there is any other way out..

Thanks guys

11. AddRAM Win User
    You can't disconnect E if it`s just a partition, you just have to get your data of it.

I don't understand why you can't just install 10 in the same manner as 8 was installed, either MBR or GPT, why the change ?

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
  12. Joyt Win User
    EXACTLY, even I'm confused why it is asking me to change the disk format.. I also tried installing W8 ( same disk is used to install for the first time) It is asking me to change the disk format to MBR even at that time.

13. AddRAM Win User

Because it sounds like you are trying to boot normally and you are not booting in UEFI, if your disk is GPT then you have to boot UEFI.

Use the boot menu to bring up your boot options, do you see a UEFI option for your USB stick ? or dvd ? Whatever you're trying to use.

That`s what you have to choose.

And I think you need to delete all the partitions except for your data partition so the installer can create the partitions it needs to. DON'T delete your data partition.

Navy already said this in reply # 3

The only thing I disagree with (and I say this loosely) is that you shouldn't have to make any changes in the Bios other then maybe secure boot (disable it)

If your W8 install was UEFI/GPT then you should not have to make any changes to the Bios.

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
  14. Joyt Win User
    Ok sure i'll try booting from Boot menu once again as I tried last night using boot menu and selecting DVD it was still giving me - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." error

15. AddRAM Win User
    You have to choose UEFI dvd, not DVD, you should see 2 selections.

This is just an example of a usb stick, but you can see the 2 choices.

If I had a dvd in the tray, then I would have 2 options for that too.

The reason both show up for me is because I have the option Legacy & UEFI boot in my Bios, I could just set it to Legacy or UEFI, but I just leave it the way it is. Even though I always install in Legacy mode.

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Clean install w10 from w8 - Similar Threads - Clean install w10

2. W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.: For the noobs out there, I have found an time saving way create Windows Install media that is faster than the official tool.You DON'T need to use the official MediaCreationTool which re-downloads Windows every time when you create an install USB drive.Also, you don't need the...
  3. W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.: For the noobs out there, I have found an time saving way create Windows Install media that is faster than the official tool.You DON'T need to use the official MediaCreationTool which re-downloads Windows every time when you create an install USB drive.Also, you don't need the...
  4. W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete

Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete: I am trying to reset a laptop, removing all files and cleaning the drive. I get "There was a problem resetting your PC." Any ideas on how to remedy? Thanks....
  6. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  7. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...
  8. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...
  9. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...