Windows 10: Clean Install Win 10 build 10586 or update sufficient?

Discus and support Clean Install Win 10 build 10586 or update sufficient? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently received the 10586 update from Microsoft and installed it. Since this was a major update, I'm wondering if I'm better off performing a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by C5Longhorn, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Clean Install Win 10 build 10586 or update sufficient?

I recently received the 10586 update from Microsoft and installed it. Since this was a major update, I'm wondering if I'm better off performing a clean install to reduce possibility of any issues and clutter.

I have a Dell Lattitude E7440 that I performed a clean initial install of Win 10 on. I then cloned the hard drive and copied it to a new SSD.

Thanks,

Rick

:)

C5Longhorn, Dec 11, 2015

2. every attempt to upgrade to Win 10 SL build 10586 failed

hello sumit bro, first of all thanks for all your help, Now at last after a long struggle, I get the Win 10 Build 10586 and upgraded my Windows 10 build 10240 to build 10586 successfully. Now Can I make a clean install of this Windows 10 Build 10586 on
    my PC with the Win10 build 10586 ISO image.

Munna Kr. Sharma, Dec 11, 2015
  3. [G70115] Win User
    Updating Win 7 Pro to Win 10 using Build 10586 Question

I have updated my win 7 Pro to Win 10 using the Build 10586 a while ago, and then I ask my system to go back to my Win 7 Pro.

I was told that this will allow be to update back to Win 10 for free again.

Now, time as come for me to update to Win 10 Pro.

I was thinking of re-installing my original Win 7 Pro with a totally clean install. Will this kill my change of updating back to Win 10 Pro using my Build 10586????

The reason, I have a problem with my version of Win 7 Pro and I need to re-install it because the old version I have must have an issue where it reboots and restart only after shutting it down for a night.

Or do you think if I re-install my Win 10 Build 10586, that should be the same as a totally new install???

I would appreciate any suggestion you can provide!!!!!

Thank You,

G

[G70115], Dec 11, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Clean Install Win 10 build 10586 or update sufficient?

I do not believe this will cause clutter as when you originally upgraded to Windows 10. As far as issues hard to say, some do and some do not. If did this clean install need ISO of this build or if a reset will work as good. I like idea of clean install and have done this myself with ISO of 10586 without doing it through Windows update. Up to you if have any issues then do this, for now you should be o.k.
    Link here for ISO http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

jds63, Dec 11, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    There are a lot of Clean Install advocates. They want clean install no matter what.
    I would suggest you have the iso burn to a bootable media ( if you have not done so), and use it as your "plan B".
    Run the Win 10 as it is now and see if it runs ok. Then you can decide if you want to do a clean install.
    No need to rush things as long as you are prepared.
    Just my 2 cents.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Having done both I can't say I noticed any difference in this case. Up to you.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  7. Thanks. I appreciate all the responses. I will burn the .ISO and leave it as is for now. It is probably my OCD more than anything else *Shock

C5Longhorn, Dec 11, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Yep, best bet for now is use the link i provided, download proper ISO burn it to a disc, keep it for backup and repair

jds63, Dec 11, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Further to the download site. It can be a little confusing in that "English-International" actually is GB English whereas plain "English" equates US English.

Had me fooled too.......*Redface

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Plain Windows 10 first on the list, after can select language. You are in Hungary, OP is in U.S.A

jds63, Dec 11, 2015
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Correct.

Am I ? *Eek

Never knew I could travel that cheaply.........
    You know what, if you can prove to me I actually am in Hungary then I promise to send you a nice case of Belgian beer. Promise. *Tongue

That said, I get the exact same page as you do on Tech Bench you know. *Wink

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  12. CmmTch Win User
    There hasn't ever been a time in windows OS history where after an update/upgrade you needed to reinstall the operating system. That's all this is, an update/upgrade to the OS

All those "clean install" advocates are IMO going above and beyond the call, if a user wants to reinstall W10 due to a new version, that's their choice, and I wouldn't say do or don't do. I don't think it's necessary in most cases, if there were problems before then doing an upgrade via windows update may or may not fix them.

A reinstall may be the only thing to clear pre existing problems, and in those cases it would be warranted. Rather than reinstall an earlier version I would go ahead with the most recent version. But if you're not having problems now, I would keep it simple and just do the windows update.

P.S. I download iso's for repair/reimage purposes, my computer doesn't have a recovery drive/partition

CmmTch, Dec 11, 2015
  13. Clean Install Win 10 build 10586 or update sufficient?

Again, thanks to all for the feedback. This has been a good discussion. I like to keep my system as clean as possible but also want to balance that with not going overboard. It's running fine right now so will just burn the ISO for backup for now.

C5Longhorn, Dec 11, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    THAT, in my opinion, is the best approach.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  15. wignall6 Win User
    In my opinion Microsoft have improved the upgrade process and made it a lot more efficient in Windows 10 than it was in previous versions. I would recommend upgrading your system for speed but if you prefer to do a clean install it's up to you.

wignall6, Dec 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Clean Install Win 10 build 10586 or update sufficient? - Similar Threads - Clean Install build

2. updated Win 10 to (build 10586) and lost half of my favorites

in Browsers and Email
    updated Win 10 to (build 10586) and lost half of my favorites: Hi, This morning prior to going to church I received a notification that a major Update for my Windows 10 Home (x64-bit)was ready to download and install so I went ahead and installed (Build 10586). Everything seemed to go smoothly. However, I just realized I lost half of...
  3. Can't install Win 10 1511 10586 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't install Win 10 1511 10586 update: Hi, I have been trying to install this update for quite some time now, and actually even waited two weeks to see if this problem wasn't going to resolve itself, but apparently, i'm out of luck. It seems that this update fails to install every time i try to restart. I have...
  4. Cannot update WIN 10 build 10586 getting error 0x800705b4

Cannot update WIN 10 build 10586 getting error 0x800705b4: I have never been able to run a win 10 update and I would like to get this resolved. My computer is an older Dell Inspiron 546 x64 with 8 gb memory. I know I need a new one but it 's not possible right now *Smile I have done everything I can think of, and read...
  5. Update to Build 10586

Update to Build 10586: I currently have Windows 10 (Build 10240). For some reason when I attempt to update my system it says that no updates are available. Does anyone know why I can't update to Build 10586? The latest Windows Defender updates install, but not the latest build. 43204
  6. Build 10586

Build 10586: Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts. Upon restart it does not...
  7. Sysprep Clean 10586 Build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sysprep Clean 10586 Build: I'm having trouble creating a new clean image with Windows 10 1511 (build 10586). Here are my steps: 1) Download the install using Media Creation Tool (10586) - save to USB drive 2) Install Windows 10 (10586) on a test PC from USB drive 3) At OOBE, CTRL-SHIFT-F3 to get...
  8. Installation Problem (BUILD 10586)

Installation Problem (BUILD 10586): Hi...I am on windows 10 home edition ... yesterday i download build 10586 .iso directly from microsoft site since i am unable to download it from windows update...first i try to make it bootable to flash drive using rufus and ran "setup.exe" file but installation disappears...
  9. Unable to update to Build 10586

Unable to update to Build 10586: I tried updating normally using Windows Update. It fails in less than 10 seconds. I tried using Media Creation Tool. It downloads the update, but at the end it fails again and tell me restart my PC and try again. I tried deleting the files at...
  10. Win 10 upgrade to Build 10586 continually fails

Win 10 upgrade to Build 10586 continually fails: Since I installed Win 10 Build 10240 a few months ago Windows Update has been trying on an almost daily basis to upgrade it to the current Build 10586. While all other updates seem to have installed normally, this one has consistently failed. Yesterday I tried a manual...