Windows 10: Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot

Discus and support Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Read the tutorials but still not sure....aka...confused...want to use my new SSD Win 10 Pro 64bit upgrade clean install via Brink's USB tutorial (when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trinaz, Dec 13, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot

Read the tutorials but still not sure....aka...confused...want to use my new SSD Win 10 Pro 64bit upgrade clean install via Brink's USB tutorial (when done setting everything up) and would like possibility to be able to dual boot with/to my old Win 7 Pro 64 SSD in same box.

Can this be done this way and what's the way to get the bios to play nice with the two Windows SSD operating systems ?

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 13, 2015

2. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Dec 13, 2015
  3. Dual boot on different drives (Windows 7/Windows 10)

I have Windows 7 SP1 with a regular license. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a new SSD I just bought, but since I wish to keep my win 7 for different reasons, I was thinking of a dual boot system with win 7 on my old HD and win 10 on the brand new SSD.
    Is it possible? Do I have to follow any particular procedure?

Giovanni di Fazio, Dec 13, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have a second Product Key/license for the Windows 10? If you are just wanting to dual boot with the Windows 7 that you used to obtain the upgrade to Windows 10 with, it would be a violation of the EULA to do so.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    If those are 2 independent installations, just switch with the BIOS boot order.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If trinaz just installs the new SSD as the second disk, leaves the old SSD as the boot device with Windows 7, creates an empty NTFS formatted partition on the new SSD and install Windows 10 to the partition (vice an empty, unallocated disk), Windows 10 will set up dual booting automatically and no bios boot order switching will be required. The boot files will remain located on the old SSD, though, and will have to be manually created on the new SSD should he ever want to erase the old SSD completely.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Too complicated. The BIOS switching is the simplest because you keep 2 independent systems. The day you want to get rid of one, you will appreciate that.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Sure, if you want to turn off fast startup in Windows 10 so when you shut down you actually get the option to press the hotkey at just the right time in the boot process to get the bios boot device selection menu to pick the proper SSD to boot from.

Or...every time I turn my computer on I get the graphical boot menu that lasts for 5 seconds (or however long I choose to program it) and with no input will boot to the operating system that I choose to make as the default option - and if I am not changing the operating system I am booting into, fast startup just picks up where I left off when shutting down

But...to each their own preference.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot - Similar Threads - Clean install ssd

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD replacement and clean install win 10: I am replacing my primary SSD as it's failed, when I come to reinstall windows 10 which was preinstalled when i bought the laptop new onto the new SSD, will the machine recognise it is authorised to reinstall it as of course I was given no product key or does the broken SSD...
  5. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD replacement and clean install win 10: I am replacing my primary SSD as it's failed, when I come to reinstall windows 10 which was preinstalled when i bought the laptop new onto the new SSD, will the machine recognise it is authorised to reinstall it as of course I was given no product key or does the broken SSD...
  6. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

7. Win 10 clean install on SSD

Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  8. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  9. New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit

New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit: Hi Everybody, In about 2-3 weeks I will get a new SSD Samsung 850 EVO Basic MZ-75E2T0 2TB to replace my too small SSD of the same brand. I am running Win 10 Pro 64-bit fully licensed and I have all the keys like Product ID, Installed Key, Original Key, Original Edition...
  10. Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive.

Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive.: Ill try and be short and specific: -I installed win 10 on a spanking new SSD. -I did not unistall or do any changes to my win 7 installation my old SSD. -Installation went fine. *Party -I get an option to boot win 10 or win 7 every time i boot. This annoys me. *Mad...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install windows 10 on an old ssd with win 7