Windows 10: Clean Install Windows 10 - CD Key

Discus and support Clean Install Windows 10 - CD Key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all - I upgraded my pc last year when the upgrade was free but I need to do a clean install as my kids have totally pooched my system with malware &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeC578, Dec 16, 2017.

1. MikeC578 Win User

Clean Install Windows 10 - CD Key

Hi all - I upgraded my pc last year when the upgrade was free but I need to do a clean install as my kids have totally pooched my system with malware & viruses... those have been cleaned off/out but it's still running real slow. My concern is I don't have a CD key as it was free. I've already downloaded the tool to do a clean install and burned the image onto a dvd... will the installation ask me for a CD Key after it finishes loading the initial files? And if it does ask for a key, how do I respond? Do I just enter my Windows 7 Pro CD key number?

:)

MikeC578, Dec 16, 2017
  2. Mike90065 Win User

Windows 8.1 CD Key not valid when installing final version of Windows 10

I was trying a clean Win 10 install on my HP Laptop from Windows 8.1 CD Key, because I was stuck on Windows preview build 10074 and it had many issues. The Win 10 install asks for the CD Key, when entered it says it is invalid. What can I do!

Mike90065, Dec 16, 2017
  3. windows 10 upgrade not working well...but a fresh install is working fine....how to activate it using my windows 10 cd key....?

when i installed windows 10 as an upgrade it created lot of problems...it was slow like hell ....my network adaptors (neither wifi nor Ethernet) didn't work instead of having fully updated drivers...it takes forever to reboot when restarted....boot time
    is looooong.....

finally I got frustrated and installed windows 10 directly after formatting my system drive...n now windows 10 is working perfectly well....but the problem is it is not getting activated by my windows 8 cd key....

I request you to please include an option for a clean install of windows 10 which can be activated with the previous windows' cd key.....

installing windows 10 as an upgrade is a very bad experience for most of the users in my social network....I think a clean install can provide all of us with a solution if you allow windows 10 to be activated with previous windows' cd key....

(anyways microsoft is giving windows 10 as "free" upgrade, the why not let it activated with the previous cd key as a fresh install)

Dr. vibhor garg, Dec 16, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

You can (and probably should) try your Windows 7 key first and foremost. If that doesn't work, you should be able to get through installation (but not activation) by using whichever of these so-called "generic keys" matches the version you're installing:

Clean Install Windows 10 - CD Key [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 16, 2017
  5. MikeC578 Win User
    I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro 64bit - so I should use the Generic Windows 10 Pro key if my Windows 7 Pro key doesn't work?

MikeC578, Dec 16, 2017
  6. RQT
    rqt Win User
    As you have previously installed & activated Windows 10 you should have a "digital licence" stored on the Microsoft system & as long as this is so then you can install without a key. The install will ask you for one - but don't enter one - use the "I don't have a key" button & the install will go ahead & should activate itself without any problem (as long s you have an internet connection)).

7. RQT
    rqt Win User
    Note that you must install the same variant (Pro / Home) of Windows 10 that you had installed previously otherwise the "digital licence" will not be valid & Windows will not activate. You can however change between 32 & 64 bit versions.

8. MikeC578 Win User

Ahhhhh - that's great news. Thanx. Yes - I have a Microsoft Account and have registered both pc's with the free Windows 10 upgrade last year!

MikeC578, Dec 16, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Having linked a licence to your Microsoft account can help if you ever need to run the Activation troubleshooter, but it isn't needed to allow automatic activation without a key.

Any PC that took the free upgrade to Win7 gets a digital licence. It's stored on the activation servers along with a unique hardware ID to identify the PC. Just installing the same edition (Home or Pro) on the same PC will activate automatically, purely on the basis of its hardware ID (which doesn't include the disk, so you're free to upgrade that and still get activation).

10. MikeC578 Win User
    The only hardware change was my video card about 2 months ago so that's good to know./ Thanx Bree

MikeC578, Dec 17, 2017
  11. philipyip Win User
    During the free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro your system became a Windows 10 Pro Device. Your systems hardware profile (motherboard details) were submitted to and stored on the Microsoft Product Activation Server.

This means that you can clean install Windows 10 Pro by skipping input of the Product Key. (Alternatively you can input your Windows 7 Pro OEM Key here):

Then selecting Windows 10 Pro:

Post-installation your motherboard details will be resubmitted to the Microsoft Product Activation Server which will recognise your system and give it the green light for Product Reactivation.

philipyip, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Install Windows 10 - CD Key - Similar Threads - Clean Install Key

2. Clean install Windows 11 with Windows 10 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install Windows 11 with Windows 10 key: Hello,I just got a brand new PC after my old one running Windows 10 stopped working. This new one is compatible with Windows 11 so I installed a clean version of it straight away, but was unable to activate it. It was my understanding that, at least for now, you can use your...
  3. Clean install Windows 11 with Windows 10 key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install Windows 11 with Windows 10 key: Hello,I just got a brand new PC after my old one running Windows 10 stopped working. This new one is compatible with Windows 11 so I installed a clean version of it straight away, but was unable to activate it. It was my understanding that, at least for now, you can use your...
  4. Clean installing windows 10 from within windows [Without CD or USB]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installing windows 10 from within windows [Without CD or USB]: I am asking this to help a friend remotely. I have personally done this before with older versions of windows (probably win 95 or 98) by copying the content of the iso on a drive (Not system drive C: , But on D: for example ) and run setup.exe from windows. Dose anyone know...
  5. Activating Windows 10 on a clean install with the existing key.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 on a clean install with the existing key.: Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's hard drive to SSD. My laptop came with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. My doubt is whether I can activate the clean install copy with the existing product key and continue using windows on my PC. Please give me detailed...
  6. Need Windows 10 CD for clean install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Need Windows 10 CD for clean install: Is one available yet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-cd-for-clean-install/4803c519-98ea-4408-a1e6-7ab694180c63"
  7. cleaning CD disc

cleaning CD disc: I have some used CDs with old backup files and other junk on them and when I try to clean them I place them in the computer, highlight the files to scrub and click the "delete" button. In return I get "show recycle information". How do I get "recycle information" so that I...
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade Install CD Key and/or boot requirements

Windows 10 Upgrade Install CD Key and/or boot requirements: I tried to install Windows 10 Pro 32 using a DVD .. and, booting from the DVD. When I got to the point where the Key was needed, it didn't accept the key. (I used the Windows 7 Pro 32 key that the machine already had for lack of any other). I read something that suggested...
  9. Clean install with existing key

Clean install with existing key: I have my Windows 10 Pro since it was available. It was upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro. I want to do clean install in a few days/weeks with the same key. 2 reasons for this: 1. I cannot pass the November update (10586) - I have tried all tips available (even MS rep spent 6+...
  10. Windows 10 clean install no key!

Windows 10 clean install no key!: I experienced a problem with my new PC loaded with Windows 7 Home edition. Some major files were corrupted so I tried to reload it with the disc, but it was in German and it lost me. So I downloaded Windows 10 Home (single language) from Microsoft thinking that my key would...