Windows 10: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Discus and support Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

How to: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First [​IMG]
    Information By default to get the clean install Windows 10 on the PC anytime, and have Windows 10 automatically activated.

This tutorial will show you how to directly clean install Windows 10 on your activated Window 7 or Windows 8.1 PC without having to upgrade first, and have Windows 10 legally activated afterwards.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Note Windows 10 Upgrade Paths

This will help show you what edition of Windows 10 USB or ISO you need based on what edition your current Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 PC is.

Windows 7
    [table][tr][td]From Edition[/td] [td]To Edition[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 7 Starter[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 7 Home Basic[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 7 Home Premium[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 7 Professional[/td] [td]Windows 10 Pro[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 7 Ultimate[/td] [td]Windows 10 Pro[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Windows 8/8.1
    [table][tr][td]From Edition[/td] [td]To Edition[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8/8.1[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8.1 with Bing[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8/8.1 Single Language[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home Single Language[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8 Single Language with Bing[/td] [td]Windows 10 Home Single Language[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8.1 Pro[/td] [td]Windows 10 Pro[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8/8.1 Pro with Media Center[/td] [td]Windows 10 Pro[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows 8.1 Pro for Students[/td] [td]Windows 10 Pro[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Tip Starting in Windows 10 build 10565 and build 10568:

Device activation improvements: Microsoft has received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to Change Product Key[/b].

If you haven’t clean installation, you’ll need to enter a qualifying product key for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or buy a license in order to activate Windows 10.

Starting with Activation troubleshooter if you make a hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (USB) or step 3 (ISO) below for what type of Windows 10 installation media you want to use.

2. step 4 below.

3. step 4 below.

4. Open the sources folder in the opened USB or mounted ISO, and copy the gatherosstate.exe file to your desktop. (see screenshot below)

Warning You must copy the gatherosstate.exe file to your desktop.

If you do step 5 below directly from the sources folder location instead of from your desktop, it will not work.

5. Right click or press and hold on the gatherosstate.exe file on your desktop, and click/tap on Run as administrator. This will create a GenuineTicket.xml file on your desktop.

Note The Windows you are currently running must be activated to be able to create a GenuineTicket.xml file.

6. Copy the GenuineTicket.xml file to a USB or another drive than your Windows drive as a backup. You will need this GenuineTicket.xml file later to activate Windows 10 with.

7. Do a clean install of Windows 10 on your Windows 7/8.1 PC to replace the Windows 7/8.1 with Windows 10. Be sure to click/tap on Skip when asked to enter a product key during Windows Setup. (see screenshot below)

8. When Windows 10 is finished installing, open File Explorer, copy and paste the folder path below into the address bar, and press Enter to open the GenuineTicket folder.
    *Arrow %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket

9. Copy the GenuineTicket.xml file from your backup from step 6 above into the GenuineTicket folder. (see screenshot below)

Note The GenuineTicket.xml file can only be used on the PC it was originally created on.

10. Click/tap on Continue to approve. (see screenshot below)

11. Restart the computer to apply.

12. When you check the activation status of Windows 10, Windows 10 should now be activated. If not, restart the computer one more time. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Night Hawk, Sep 22, 2015
  2. Chapa :) Win User

Getting Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive

If you have already upgraded to Windows 10 (during the free upgrade period), you can directly re-install windows 10 (clean installation) after the november update. (on the same computer - without motherboard change)

Chapa :), Sep 22, 2015
  3. Valdity of windows 7 product key for windows 10

Hi

I could not upgrade to windows 10 from windows7 after several attempts.so decided to clean install directly without upgrading.

Will my existing product key of window7 32bit still valid for windows 10 64bit clean install?

SumanBargav, Sep 22, 2015
  4. AddRAM Win User

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Simply amazing Shawn *Party

AddRAM, Sep 24, 2015
  5. Shawn always does a great job on the guides! *Smile I still have that other 7 Pro case to look at there where this will be a time saver from a second drive's temp install or clone and the upgrade only to be followed by the clean install to come afterwards.

Night Hawk, Sep 24, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Would this method also work on a system already running windows 10 Pro, that was upgraded from windows 10 home?? Just wondering if I could use this method to do a clean install of Win 10 Pro. This computer came with Windows 8 home edition, then by the original owner was upgraded to win 10 home. Then I upgraded this computer to Windows 10 Pro, with a bought key. Its never really had a clean install.

OldMike65, Sep 24, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Mike, *Smile

Since you have a product key for Windows 10 Pro, you should be able to do a normal clean install, and enter the Pro key during Windows setup.

If it doesn't activate for some reason, you could activate by phone instead.

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  8. bayustev Win User

hi,
    nice option, i like it...
    just one question..maybe two..

-fresh install, does it's meant ok to change partition. (red is system reserves for windows 8 pro) <-can i delete this
    -(blue is 10 pro system reserves) <- can i delete this one too
    - and delete the whole partition and make new one, just for 10 pro. and activated with genuine ticket?

ps- my curently activated windows 10 pro doesn't have genuine ticket in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\ folder (just checked)
    but i can make one with gatherosstate.exe...
    thanks in advance!

bayustev, Sep 24, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello bayustev, *Smile

Yes, you can use this method as well to clean install. It's mostly for those that would prefer to clean install to the free Windows 10 offer first instead of having to upgrade to the free Windows 10 though.

However, since you have already upgraded to Windows 10 Pro on the activated Windows 8 Pro PC, you will be able to clean install normally on the PC and have Windows 10 Pro activated afterwards. Just be sure to "skip" entering a product key during Windows Setup.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  10. bayustev Win User
    thank you , sir brink

just finished do a clean install with this method

and succesfully activated online using genuine.xml.
    -more fast than installing from previous windows first
    -and really clean without any trace from previous driver.

thanks again.

bayustev, Sep 24, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  12. Mohave PC Win User
    Shawn,
    I would like to note that it may require 2 or 3 reboots before Windows Ten Shows activated. I had this issue on a Gateway using this method. For some reason even though the machine was connected to the Internet the Activation Service kept asking me to connect to a network. After the 3rd reboot as I was contemplating reinstalling 7 and starting the project over again it activated.

Thank you again for your great work.

Herb

Mohave PC, Sep 25, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Herb. *Smile

Brink, Sep 25, 2015
  14. Sometimes there's a gap when seeing 10 activate even now since the initial bog down of the servers has lightened up tremendously. Suddenly you go to check and things are all set to go. The first clean install on the second desktop is a good example there of not having this option available for that one until the upgrade over the original 7 install took place and the clean install subsequently was found to be activated the next day.

Night Hawk, Sep 25, 2015
  15. lvgandhi Win User
    Thanks Brink.
    May be 25 or 30 times I tried to upgrade my Dell Venue 8 Pro to windows 10 via more permutation and combination of various methods. I failed always. With this method, I could clean install and activate it.

lvgandhi, Sep 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Similar Threads - Clean Install Directly

2. Clean - Without the Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean - Without the Install: I have been asked to help, and am clueless. I've been given a working laptop and a tower to prepare for a yard sale and if not sold to donate to Salvation Army. It is desired to wipe the drives and leave it to the buyers to put their own OS. How to do? (hopefully a tutorial?)...
  3. re-install of 10 directly or need to put in 8 first?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    re-install of 10 directly or need to put in 8 first?: Son brought home dell inspiron 15 3521 from office with non booting disk. It was licensed for 8 and had the upgrade to 10. This was a "pool" system and no one know the history such as the Microsoft account it was used under to activate. I assume it has a digital license....
  4. Clean install without removing all drives first

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install without removing all drives first: I always clean install from bootable USB, never in place upgrade (There are several reasons, but that is a different conversation). Even since Windows 7, and possibly before, when installing Windows we've had to remove all drives other than the one we want to install windows...
  5. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.: Hi guys, I've just done a clean install of Windows 10 but in settings it's showing as Windows 10 Home and not activated. I upgraded from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro without a problem so not sure why it's not activating. I did format the main drive during clean install,...
  6. How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first

How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first: I haven't tried it myself (as I upgraded THEN did a clean install before this article appeared) but assuming it works this can be a big time saver. How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade - gHacks Tech News 20476
  7. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  8. My first clean install with Windows 10

My first clean install with Windows 10: I have downloaded the new O.S onto a USB memory stick ready for the clean install. My question is, will I be better off by formatting my SSD 'C' drive before performing the process or, does the install format the drive as it goes along? I would like to think that the...
  9. Clean install on upgraded Windows 10

Clean install on upgraded Windows 10: Hello folks, I tried to perform a clean install on the very first instance at the time of 'upgrade' but since it didn't work. I had to upgrade it on existing windows 7 installation. Now the machine is so slow that constantly it shows 100% disk usage. I tried every possible...
  10. Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.

Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.: Hello guys, when W10 first came out, I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to 10. Now, I want to make a clean install of W10, and I was wondering If I could use my W8.1 key. I mean, not installing 8.1 and upgrading, just installing W10 and putting the cd key, since I have it...