Windows 10: Clean install with existing key

Discus and support Clean install with existing key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have my Windows 10 Pro since it was available. It was upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro. I want to do clean install in a few days/weeks with the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fwitkowski, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Clean install with existing key

I have my Windows 10 Pro since it was available. It was upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro.
    I want to do clean install in a few days/weeks with the same key.
    2 reasons for this:
    1. I cannot pass the November update (10586) - I have tried all tips available (even MS rep spent 6+ hours and failed).
    2. My 250 SSD is getting to be too small (I have big ASP MVC project on localhost that needs to be on SSD)

My plan is to buy 500GB SSD (or 480) and install clean Windows 10 Pro on it.

The perfect approach is to have 2 instances of Windows 10 for a few days (until I set up everything on the new one) and then switch completely to new with my existing key.

Do I need to worry about something before doing it? Or should I contact MS?

:)

fwitkowski, Jun 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Windows Update and BITS service will not start

You can do a clean Install of Windows 7 and use the existing key.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 7, 2016
  3. twegsc04 Win User
    existing windows insiders clean install and activation

*UPDATE* Well it seems that using the key from the link above does work and activates. also I found that if your an insider (after I installed a second time to test) you can skip the key and it will activate using your microsoft account login followed
    by it asking you to verify. ( WORKS BOTH WAYS)!!!!!

twegsc04, Jun 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Clean install with existing key

Everything should be fine. The Windows 10 clean install should activate with the existing digital entitlement saved on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  5. tengeezer Win User
    If I'm reading this right, you're saying one needs to be connected to the internet to be activated?

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Slartybart, Jun 9, 2016
  7. galaxys Win User
    Yes, need active internet...

galaxys, Jun 9, 2016
  8. tengeezer Win User

Are you guys sure about this? Because if what you're saying is true, this means it's illegal to use Windows 10 if installed without being online.

There can be so many different situations which could entail this, such as:

For example, a person has just moved house, and they're waiting a few days for their ISP to get everything setup. If this person happens to re-install Windows 10, it means they're running an illegal instance?

That can't be right.

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  9. I'm waiting for my new SSD. Probably I will be doing this next weekend. I will update this thread once its done.

fwitkowski, Jun 9, 2016
  10. Absolutely certain - your license MUST be activated for you to have a legal license.
    There is a grace period (90 days???) that covers most scenarios you could imagine.

Of course you can call it in if you don't have Internet access.

Slartybart, Jun 9, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is perfectly legal to use Windows 10 without activating it. That is exactly the reason Microsoft built the reduced functionality into it. Also an internet connection is not required for activation. Phone activation is available for Windows 10 just like the previous versions of Windows.

NavyLCDR, Jun 9, 2016
  12. Superfly Win User
    The "I cannot pass the November update (10586)" - meaning the upgrade is giving you probs? If so, clean install is must less stressful for sure.

Permanent activation as with Retail/OEM keys is just that - moving house/ISP whatever - subsequent to once-off on-line activation, the licence is on the PC, no matter what - it will stay activated - the only thing MS does is check validation(genuineness) periodically when on-line - if you are, no worries.

Superfly, Jun 9, 2016
  13. tengeezer Win User

Right, but does this also apply to retail?

I.e. we think that it's perfectly legal to install an unactivated copy of Windows 10 if it's an insider build.

But what if the user installed a retail copy from his official Win10 USB stick, without activating it. Are you still saying this is legal?

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  14. Retail still requires activation, via online or phone activation. You don't need an Internet connection to activate or stay activated, but at some point you will have to activate it or face reduced functionality. It's been like that for years now. The only exception is OEM-SLP activation for Windows 7 and earlier OS's. Windows 8/8.1 and 10, OEM and Retail, all activate online.

alphanumeric, Jun 9, 2016
  15. The product key is only one half of the equation. It has to be verified that it is currently only in use on one device. Otherwise you could use that one key on several PC's which violates the EULA. Unless its a VL key, and that still requires online activation.

alphanumeric, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Clean install with existing key - Similar Threads - Clean install existing

2. Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?: I have a computer that for whatever reason is refusing to boot. It will go to the preparing automatic repair screen, and either freeze or restart. It will not boot. I am replacing the RAM, which I believe was a culprit to my random freezes, and would also like to just do a...
  3. Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking to clean re-install, Windows key?: I have a computer that for whatever reason is refusing to boot. It will go to the preparing automatic repair screen, and either freeze or restart. It will not boot. I am replacing the RAM, which I believe was a culprit to my random freezes, and would also like to just do a...
  4. Clean Install while existing merged partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install while existing merged partitions: Hello all, I am using Windows 10 on a PC. I had merged my non-system partitions for storage. When my system crashed and cannot boot anymore, I decided to go with long due system hard drive increase and bought another SSD. I made a clean install only by disconnecting one of...
  5. Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS

Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS: I need to do a clean install of windows 10. My existing computer has it installed and works fine but will not update. I have a recovery drive and disk but keep getting error messages when I try to reinstall. At this point I would like to wipe my new SSD and do a clean install...
  6. Activating Windows 10 on a clean install with the existing key.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 on a clean install with the existing key.: Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's hard drive to SSD. My laptop came with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. My doubt is whether I can activate the clean install copy with the existing product key and continue using windows on my PC. Please give me detailed...
  7. Clean install with old Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install with old Key: So I'm helping my buddy build a computer since his bricked and wont boot. I have a windows 10 flash drive to help him install the OS. The only key he has though, is the windows 8 key on the sticker on his tower from when he bought his computer back in 2014 then upgraded to...
  8. Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

Clean install while keeping existing partitions?: the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that. I just want to reinstall cleanly on the OS partition only. In the past with win7, when I had an OS and Data partition, I would just reinstall the OS, and my...
  9. Windows 10 clean install no key!

Windows 10 clean install no key!: I experienced a problem with my new PC loaded with Windows 7 Home edition. Some major files were corrupted so I tried to reload it with the disc, but it was in German and it lost me. So I downloaded Windows 10 Home (single language) from Microsoft thinking that my key would...
  10. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4481252 registry delete key