Windows 10: Clean Install

Discus and support Clean Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will be getting a new Win 10 Asus laptop. I would like to get rid of bloatware. This is how I see it. If I am wrong please advise. I have a Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pepegotme, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pepegotme Win User

Clean Install

I will be getting a new Win 10 Asus laptop. I would like to get rid of bloatware. This is how I see it. If I am wrong please advise. I have a Win 10 disc made from an ISO (no key provided)
    1. Format all partitions on the HD
    2. Boot off the CD made from ISO download
    3. Install Windows 10, but here is the rub!

As the disc is clean, when Windows asks me for the key, which I do not have, I will be dead in the water.

If I have the key, from the vendor, then I may be able to use it, but if not, I in trouble. The key is the thing
    that could bring down a king. Any suggestions would be appreciated on how the circumnavigate this.
    I Just canceled the Asus order because no OEM Windows disc and Drivers disc are provided.

:)

pepegotme, Feb 23, 2016
  2. d0gknees Win User

To Clean Install...Or Not To Clean Install

A "clean install" by definition deletes all content of your drive, that's what the "clean" means. If you want to keep things it can't be a clean install, you have to upgrade.

Personally, I recommend you first update and get all the correct drivers for your devices and chase down the media to re-install your applications. Then save them on an external drive and do a clean install. You will have to re-install all software and re-configure,
    but you end up with a lot less problems going forward.

The cost is greater but so is the reward.

A large proportion of the issues people report here seem to be due to not doing clean installs. My own experience is that a clean install with the new drivers works well. My PC respondes better than it did on Windows 7. Although it has a normal hard drive,
    it boots as fast as my Notebook which has an SSD and is still on Windows 7.

Good Luck

d0gknees, Feb 23, 2016
  3. To Clean Install...Or Not To Clean Install

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you wish to do a clean install but I would suggest you not to do so until you have upgraded to Windows 10 and it has been activated.

Therefore, make sure you first upgrade to Windows 10 using the Get Windows 10 App or the .ISO image. Make sure the Windows 10 is Activated.

Please do not attempt a clean install if you haven't activated Windows 10 on your system.

Once you have successfully activated Windows 10 you can perform a clean install.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 23, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Clean Install

Truthfully i do not think ASUS puts that much bloatware to worry about, you can always uninstall it, it will probably have a factory recovery partition, even though this brings back the bloatware. I do not think you can use this disc you downloaded, but there is a tool made by someone here you can retrieve the product key, not sure if it is like the old days where your product key will be listed on the device.

https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

Thinking more on this, this will come with a OEM version of Windows 10 will most likely have issue activating it with a different disc. If thinking this way, could saved few hundred and buy a windows 7 laptop get free upgrade can do clean install then.

jds63, Feb 23, 2016
  5. pepegotme Win User
    I just reordered the Asus as I was able to get the drivers and have an interesting talk with the support Tech.Windows 10 is a bear.

pepegotme, Feb 23, 2016
  6. Phone Man Win User
    All new laptops have the key embedded in the Bios. So when you do a clean install of the same version of W10 it will read the Bios and get the key and activate.

Jim *Nerd

Phone Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean Install

1. Clean Install - Similar Threads - Clean Install

2. Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows: I can't activate Windows 11 Pro with the key that I purchased for it after doing a clean install of Windows. It remains stuck at Windows 11 Home Edition.Can someone assist?...
  3. Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows: I can't activate Windows 11 Pro with the key that I purchased for it after doing a clean install of Windows. It remains stuck at Windows 11 Home Edition.Can someone assist?...
  4. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  5. Windows 11 clean install

Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  6. Windows 11 clean instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  7. Windows 11 clean instal

Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  8. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  9. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  10. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...