Windows 10: Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop

Discus and support Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have sought guidance from relevant Windows 10 Tutorials and have met a problem. I have fitted an SSD to my Medion Akoya 5024D (MD7659) which now is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MalcolmW, May 13, 2016.

1. MalcolmW Win User

Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop

I have sought guidance from relevant Windows 10 Tutorials and have met a problem. I have fitted an SSD to my Medion Akoya 5024D (MD7659) which now is four years old. The computer originally ran Windows 7 and I upgraded, first to Windows 8, secondly to Windows 8.1 and thirdly and finally to Windows 10 Pro.

Using the Windows Media Creation Tool I have created a bootable USB drive on an 8GB stick with which I have tried to implement a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD with no other disks connected.

Initially the installation process created a 500 MB Reserved Partition identifying the SSD as Disk 0. On restarting I opted to use the non-reserved partition for the installation. In both instances I used the product code used by computer for the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The installation process is completed in about 15 minutes, the computer reboots and the set-up process is displayed again. I have made a further attempts using the original Windows 7 product code with no change in the behaviour; the installation procedure still appears as if it is in a loop. In what I have done so far there have been no error messages.

Please, I would appreciate advice on how this behaviour can be overcome or the suggestion of a reliable alternative.

:)

MalcolmW, May 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 USB Clean Installation Reboot Loop

I have been trying this, I created a DVD with the ISO and also a usb. But when I boot, press F12 and select it just restarts the computer..never gives me the option to "press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

What could be going wrong?

JustinChadala, May 13, 2016
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    Can I perform a clean installation of Windows 10 with Windows 8 OEM?

To be able to install Windows 10 for free, you need a valid Windows 7 or 8 license (excluding enterprise version. For these there are going to be other ways to upgrade)

The first step is to upgrade. You can do this 2 ways:

• Using Windows update. If you go this way, Windows 10 is going to be installed just like any other update. It will appear in the list of updates (probably in the optional category) and you can install it from there.
    • Using the ISO image. Microsoft is going to provide a web page from where you will be able to download the full install ISO image of the Windows 10 version that corresponds to your Windows 7 or 8 version (7/8Pro - 10Pro, 7/8Home - 10 Home, etc).

After downloading the ISO, you can either burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB drive.

To upgrade from the install media, boot up your PC as you normally do, with your old Windows, insert the install media (either DVD or USB) and run the setup program from it.

This is going to do the upgrade.

Once the upgrade is done, you can either continue using Windows 10 as it is, or you can boot the computer from the Windows 10 install media and do a clean install, by formatting the Windows 7/8 partition and installing Windows 10 instead.

Warning! You CANNOT install Windows 10 DIRECTLY from the install media. IF you do this, you are going to lose your old Windows installation and end up with a Windows 10 that needs a license to activate.

The upgrade must be done first!!!

The ISO install option is preferable if you have multiple computers. You download only once and use the ISO to update all your computers (even simultaneously by creating as many copies of the install media as you need).

Andrei V., May 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB. First it will ask for a product key. Click the little link for "I don't have a product key." Set the language and keyboard options. Select Windows 10 Pro when it asks for Home or Pro. Click the bottom option for Custom Install. A list of partitions on the SSD will be shown. Delete each partition shown and you end up with unallocated space. Select the unallocated space to install to and click next - do not create any partitions on your own, let Windows setup create what it wants.

Watch for the computer to say that it is going to reboot in 10 seconds. At that time, pull out the Windows 10 installation USB. Let the computer reboot on its own. If you miss the reboot message and it goes back into Windows 10 setup, just pull out the Windows 10 installation USB and cancel the install and let the computer reboot.

Windows 10 setup should then continue from the SSD. You will be asked two or three more times for a product key. Just click "Skip" or "Do this later" when it does.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  5. MalcolmW Win User
    Thank you for your detailed and very helpful response. My clean installation of Windows 10 Pro is now complete and working satisfactorily.
    As I read your response the penny dropped that on each restart, because the bootable USB stick remained in place the computer restarted the installation procedure.
    Thank you for the courtesy of your reply and your assistance. I have marked the thread as `Solved'.

MalcolmW, May 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it was an easy fix that worked for you!

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  7. Gribix Win User
    Thank you so much for this tutorial NavyLCDR!! It helped me out fomat a collegues desktop.Looks like everything is running nice and clean! *Smile

Gribix, Mar 29, 2017
  8. chell41 Win User

I am having issues with installing Windows back on my tablet, I have downloaded the media tool and it goes through and begins installation then it will return to the install screen.

chell41, Aug 21, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Remove the USB flash drive and reboot the tablet.

NavyLCDR, Aug 21, 2017
  10. chell41 Win User
    When I do that I get a screen that says:
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
    1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your xcomputer.
    2. choose your language settings, and click "next"
    3. click " Repair your computer."

if you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacture for assistance.

info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

I did try the Repair option and it doesn't work.

chell41, Aug 21, 2017
  11. chell41 Win User
    I also want to say "Thank you for trying to help me with this"

chell41, Aug 21, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What are you installing Windows from and how did you create it? IE: a USB flash drive I used the Media Creation Tool and let it make it.

Did you delete all the partitions on the "hard drive" and pick the unallocated space to install to?

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2017
  13. chell41 Win User

Yes I have a USB that I created from Windows to reinstall windows.
    I tried to delete the partitions, I think thats where I messed something up. The partitions are still showing up, but I think something is missing. I'm trying again this is what happens

I get the Install Now option, then setup is starting, click accept terms, then I get option to Upgrade or custom install, if I choose upgrade I get: Upgrade option isn't available. So I try the custom install, then I get the following:

Where do you want to install Windows?

Drive 0 partition 1: SYSTEM TOTAL SIZE: 100.0MB FREE SPACE: 53.0 TYPE:SYSTEM
    DRIVE 0 PARTITION 2 TOTAL SIZE: 16MB FREE SPACE: 16MB MSR (RESERVED)
    DRIVE 0 PARTITION 3 TOTAL SIZE: 25.5GB FREE SPACE: 28.4GB PRIMARY
    DRIVE 0 PARTITION 4 TOTAL SIZE 500.0MB FREE SPACE: 486.0MB RECOVERY

PARTITION 3 IS THE ONLY ONE IT WILL LET ME ATTEMPT TO INSTALL TO

chell41, Aug 22, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Select each partition one at a time and click delete. Then highlight the unallocated space and click next.

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2017
  15. chell41 Win User
    chell41, Aug 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop - Similar Threads - Clean Installation Loop

2. Windows 10 Clean Install Restart Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Clean Install Restart Loop: I had to do a clean install on my PC after some issues, I was advised it was the best solution so I went for it. I have a 32GB USB stick with Win10 on it and I plugged it in my PC. The installing process goes on smoothly until the very end when it says Finishing up, it keeps...
  3. Windows 10 Clean Install Restart Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Clean Install Restart Loop: I had to do a clean install on my PC after some issues, I was advised it was the best solution so I went for it. I have a 32GB USB stick with Win10 on it and I plugged it in my PC. The installing process goes on smoothly until the very end when it says Finishing up, it keeps...
  4. Windows 10 Clean Install Restart Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Clean windows install loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean windows install loop: My old pc is a hp pavilion gaming desktop which I took the original m.2 out of so it has no storage and I Put a brand new m.2 in and I go to install windows it boots to the windows setup and I click custom: install windows onlyIt copies windows files, finished getting files...
  6. Clean windows install loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean windows install loop: My old pc is a hp pavilion gaming desktop which I took the original m.2 out of so it has no storage and I Put a brand new m.2 in and I go to install windows it boots to the windows setup and I click custom: install windows onlyIt copies windows files, finished getting files...
  7. Clean windows install loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 clean install boot loop

Windows 10 clean install boot loop: I was recently gifted a friend's old gaming pc about 2 years old and was asked to do a clean install of windows to remove their information, so I bought a windows 10 home USB from best buy what the geeks said I needed. While doing the install it failed at about 25%.Now when I...
  9. windows 10 clean installation loop

windows 10 clean installation loop: I have been trying to install windows 10 on my hp laptop and it keeps looping from "hi there let's get a few things out of the way". i tried booting from usb to bypass it but seems not be to working. in all my laptop is stuck here[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. Clean Windows 10 Install Loop

Clean Windows 10 Install Loop: Hey, I'm installing Windows 10 onto new new SSD, the setup will say its needs to restart, then it restarts and doesn't continue the install and then restarts the whole install? Any idea? Thanks *Smile 10346