Windows 10: Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC

Discus and support Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The computer would get a digital license for Pro stored on Microsoft Activation servers and after the first install, subsequent installs of either Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KabyBlue, Apr 4, 2018.

1. KabyBlue Win User

Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC

Glad to hear the PC would have both a Home and Pro license. That confirms my suspicion. Will mark this thread as solved.

Thnx for the responses

@NavyLCDR @cereberus

KabyBlue, Apr 4, 2018
  2. KabyBlue Win User

I am interested in buying a PC online but the seller states it comes with Windows 10 Home x64. If I were to buy the computer and purchase a Windows 10 Pro license, would the PC get a digital license if I did a clean install and activated Win10 Pro?

Meaning, if I were to "lose" the product key card once the PC has been activated but decided I wanted to follow this guide and perform a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 at a later time, would I still need the product key card? I don't plan on using a MS account by the way (am aware there is a way to link the activation to your MS account).

:)

KabyBlue, Apr 14, 2018
  3. From Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home after clean-install.

Hi!

I've just recently clean-installed my PC using the ISO file created on Media Creation Tool.

The problem is that there is no option in the tool that I can select Windows 10 Pro, and there's only one choice which is Windows 10.

After creating a bootable flash drive using the ISO I've downloaded, and installed it on my PC, it turns out to be the Home edition instead of Pro. Before clean-install, it was Pro edition.

How can I make it the Pro edition instead of Home?

RedRailgun, Apr 14, 2018
  4. Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 14, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    You do not need to clean install PRO if it has activated Home. Simply click on link 'Go to Store' in activation menu, and either buy an upgrade key, or enter a 10 Pro key.

Basically, the Home install contains most of the Pro features but upgrading unlocks them or downloads the extra bits it needs.

Clean installing PRO is actually a bit annoying, as it defaults to Home if device has a 10 Home key embedded in bios.

You can get round this by adding an ei.cfg file containing two lines to sources folder on installation drive i.e.

[Channel]
    Retail

cereberus, Apr 14, 2018
  6. KabyBlue Win User
    Thnx for the advice. I am aware of the upgrade option from Home to Pro but prefer clean install to get rid of manufacturer bloatware out of the box. I have used that ei.cfg trick a couple of times too. *Smile

In regards to the activation, does the PC get a digital license after activating Windows 10 Pro? Would future installs of Pro require the product key again?

KabyBlue, Apr 14, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The computer would get a digital license for Pro stored on Microsoft Activation servers and after the first install, subsequent installs of either Home or Pro on that computer would activate without a product key (although the product key for Windows 10 Home is likely permanently stored in firmware).

NavyLCDR, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC

1. Clean installing Windows 10 Pro on a Home Edition PC - Similar Threads - Clean installing Pro

2. Windows 11 Home clean installed instead of Pro edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home clean installed instead of Pro edition: Hi ya'll,I just did a clean install on the same computer that I upgraded to Pro from. After install, it is now Win 11 Home. The purchase history in my account shows I purchased it BUT, unlike all the Microsoft claims on how to get the key by email confirmation, I have that...
  3. Windows 11 Home clean installed instead of Pro edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home clean installed instead of Pro edition: Hi ya'll,I just did a clean install on the same computer that I upgraded to Pro from. After install, it is now Win 11 Home. The purchase history in my account shows I purchased it BUT, unlike all the Microsoft claims on how to get the key by email confirmation, I have that...
  4. Updated to Windows 10 pro edition from home Windows 10 home edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updated to Windows 10 pro edition from home Windows 10 home edition: My laptop has windows 10 home edition. But I required Windows 10 pro edition. So.., is there any options to update my edition. Please help me out with this....
  5. Windows 10 Home Laptop, upgraded to Pro and clean installs

Windows 10 Home Laptop, upgraded to Pro and clean installs: Hi, If I get a laptop with Windows 10 Home pre-installed, then upgrade it to Pro, what happens during a clean install? Will it install to Home with me having to upgrade to Pro again, each time I do a clean install? This will be a batch of machines for a business, with a...
  6. Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...: I recently just finished building my dream pc & managed to get Windows 10 on it without any actual "issues". The only thing I didn't realize until later on was that I originally intended to get Windows 10Home edition & instead I have the Windows 10 Pro edition which I don't...
  7. Clean upgrade of Windows 10 Pro to 17763 demotes to Home edition

Clean upgrade of Windows 10 Pro to 17763 demotes to Home edition: I have had Windows 10 Professional Build 17134 running and Activated since 07/18/2018 (slmgr shows a Partial Product Key of 3V66T). I am now attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 Professional Build 17763 from a MediaCreationTool1809.exe-generated .iso, but it...
  8. Windows 10 pro is installed and need 10 home edition.

Windows 10 pro is installed and need 10 home edition.: I have done multiple clean reboots to reinstall windows 10 Home. I watched some videos and followed each one to the T, still not right. I was never given the option to choose which edition to use. After I select troubleshoot it says I have the product key for HOME not PRO....
  9. starting a clean install pro or home

starting a clean install pro or home: my upgrade was home but with having a million issues decided to run a clean install now it asks pro or home? Do i have to use home or can i switch to pro with automatic activation from the upgrade? 41696
  10. Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home

Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home: Does anyone know how I install, not upgrade, W10 Pro on a laptop that has W10 Home? I bought a W10 Pro licence key off eBay and downloaded the W10 ISO file from Microsoft, but when I try to reinstall from the ISO file (on USB) it rejects a clean install. I already tried to...