Windows 10: Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Discus and support Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by carrotmuseum, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015.

The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install.

I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean start with Win 10.

Simple instructions please. Thanks

:)

carrotmuseum, Jun 17, 2017

2. windows 10

After 30 days the only way to revert is to wipe the OS and clean install win 7 from the dvd. You may simply be better off fixing the problems you are having with win 10 because if you do re-install win 7 you will almost immediately start getting bombarded
    with popups asking you to upgrade back to win 10

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 17, 2017
  3. Re-installing Windows 10 after formating the PC

I have upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 10. I want to format my PC, do I need to re-install Win 7 and then upgrade or can I install a clean Win10 ??

Where can I find a Win10 new install CD ??

KamranMoslehi, Jun 17, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

A clean install will make it run great! *Smile

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

simrick, Jun 17, 2017
  5. I do not have a windows product key. Bit concerned that the reply pointed to a 2014 instruction, when I downloaded an October 2105 edition!

carrotmuseum, Jun 17, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    "Updated: 3 Weeks Ago at 07:45 PM"

Our tutorials are kept up-to-date. *Smile
    Once a system has had Windows 10 installed and activated, the activation resides on the MS servers, and you can reinstall/clean install as often as you like/need. Once online, the system will auto-active on the MS servers.
    But, you can always grab your key using ShowKeyPlus.
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums
    Be sure to download the most recent Windows 10 ISO for the clean install.

simrick, Jun 17, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    p.s. When you clean install, be sure to install the same version (Home or Pro), and skip if it asks for a key.

simrick, Jun 17, 2017
  8. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

You shouldn't have to enter a product key since your Windows 10 has already been activated on your computer
    Go to section 7 in the tutorial recommended by simrick: it mentions you can click/tap on the I don't have a product key.
    I have used that process a few times and did not have a problem with the clean install automatically being activated.

MeAndMyComputer, Jun 17, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the computer had windows 7 on it from the factory, it should have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on it with a product key printed on it. If all else fails (and the "I don't have a product key" link should work in Windows 10 setup), you can still activate Windows 10 by entering a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 product key.

NavyLCDR, Jun 17, 2017
  10. Sticker fell off years ago! Really should be stuck inside,say on the processor. No point sticking it on the hottest exterior part of a laptop and at the point where it meets the lap!!

carrotmuseum, Jun 18, 2017
  11. That was my point about a link to a 2014 tutorial which only instructed you need a product key. Hence this thread.

carrotmuseum, Jun 18, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try showkey plus from this forum. OEM:COA key type would be the product key that was printed on label. OEM:SLP is a product key that would be only used with the factory recovery media and cannot be used to activate Windows 10:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2017
  13. sn00ker Win User

I would install your factory installation of windows 7 before doing windows 10. What I'm getting at since you say the stick is gone if you factory recovery back to windows 7 it should be automatic activated and then you can use ShowKeyPlus to get your windows 7 keys if need be . If you ever want to sell it you could with either 7 or 10 . Afterwards, I would do a clean install of windows 10 and wipe the whole hard drive

sn00ker, Jun 18, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Without the product key from the COA sticker, the user would have to use manufacturer provided install media to restore the factory Windows 7 software load. And if the user did restore the Windows 7 factory software load from the manufacturer provided media, the product key retrieved by ShowKey Plus would likely be an OEM:SLP (System Locked Pre-Installation) product key which will only work with the manufacturer restoration media and cannot be used to activate a vanilla Windows 7 or Windows 10 (although you can do the in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10).

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2017
  15. sn00ker Win User
    @NavyLCDR agreed . I'm just throwing this out in case if the OP ever wants to sell the laptop, there still many people who would rather have a Windows 7 installation over 10 . If he does install 7 from the factory recovery hidden partition at least he would be able afterwards to get the license keys. If not and by chance decide to wipe the whole hard drive it will be much harder later on if he ever wants to install 7

sn00ker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7 - Similar Threads - Clean install upgrade

2. Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10: My Dad said he wanted a fresh install of windows 10, he previously has upgraded from win 7 to 10. I have already prepared an installation media with the media creation tool but it was done on my old pc and I selected to upgrade for another pc / ISO creation rather than...
  3. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install: I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7. Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what...
  4. win 10 Re-install [clean]

win 10 Re-install [clean]: How do I save settings for a re-install? ie; configurations of control panel, "settings", etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-re-install-clean/b0b98f9f-0ed7-493f-9f38-7838cb5343d9
  5. Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7

Re-activation after motherboard change on a Win 10 with the free upgrade from win 7: I have recently upgraded my motherboard on a system which had genuine win 7 that got the free upgrade to win 10. Now it asks for activation but I don't have a valid win 10 key and on the troubleshooting page it says the ones that upgraded from Win 7 got the "digital license",...
  6. Re-install win 10 from upgrade

Re-install win 10 from upgrade: Hello I recently did a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 (legal copy). I downloaded the iso and made a bootable disc. I retrieved the installation key from my computer but i am just wondering if i can do a clean install with that disc and the installation key that i have or...
  7. Clean re installing Windows 7

Clean re installing Windows 7: Hi I have problems with one of my PC after the recent Windows 10 upgrade and having several issues occurring intermittently (can't browse internet. Internet / WiFi connection gets disconnected time to time) and prefer to reinstall Windows 7 on this PC until windows 10...
  8. Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades

Summary of Installation issues re win 7 upgrades: I am kept quite busy with clients running into Windows 10 upgrade issues, invariably from older machines. i would criticise Microsoft for insufficient information in regard to the process Here are a summary of some of the issues: Window 10 compatibility appraisal is...
  9. Clean install of windows 10 on SSD when upgraded from win 7

Clean install of windows 10 on SSD when upgraded from win 7: I upgraded to windows 10 for free from windows 7. I want to buy an ssd to replace my hard drive and perform a fresh, clean install. How do I install windows 10 on my ssd without having to purchase? Is it possible? 82909
  10. Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install

Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install: I've upgraded from Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 via the upgrade install. The system indicates the Win 10 install is activated. Presently, this install is to buggy. I intend to wipe the disk clean and perform a clean install via bootable USD flash drive and the downloaded...