Windows 10: clean reinstallation on OEM machine and possible upgrade

Discus and support clean reinstallation on OEM machine and possible upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I may have to get a new laptop (see other thread in General...). When I buy a laptop with an OEM (home) version of windows 10 can I do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kevvyb, Aug 27, 2016.

1. kevvyb Win User

clean reinstallation on OEM machine and possible upgrade

Hi

I may have to get a new laptop (see other thread in General...).

When I buy a laptop with an OEM (home) version of windows 10 can I do a clean reinstall by using the media creatiom tool/iso route using the OEM key?

Can the OEM Home version of Windows 10 be upgraded to Pro?

In which order should these operations be performed?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

:)

kevvyb, Aug 27, 2016

2. Windows 10 (upgraded from windows 7) to New machine

What if I no longer want to use the machine the OEM copy of Windows came with? My OEM machine has been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 through the Microsoft free upgrade process. Presumably this remains a legally licensed product. Shouldn't I then
    be able to transfer the upgraded Windows 10 license from the original machine to the my new machine? If so, what is the process to perform the transfer?

ThomasHeisler, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Possible to sysprep an upgraded Windows 10 image, on an OEM machine?

Previously, I have been able to install the OEM build of Windows 8.1 on an OEM system (in this case a Lenovo laptop) and then sysprep and capture the image in order to use it as a base image for deployment on other similarly licensed OEM laptops in my enterprise
    environment.

However, if I perform an upgrade to Windows 10, sysprep the machine, and then capture and try to redeploy the image to another machine in a clean zero-state (or even the same machine), the post-deploy process prompts me to enter the license key for Windows
    10, rather than reading the system motherboard to identify that the system is a qualifying OEM upgradable to Windows 10 system.

So is it possible to perform a sysprep of an upgraded Windows 10 system, or do I need to have new base install media from the OEM that contains a valid activation key?

OneTech IT, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Mooly Win User

Yes, you can clean install. The license should already be active and registered automatically with MS and so you have nothing to do when clean installing, its all taken care of.

The official upgrade route is here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-home-to-pro

I would imagine that once your PC is running Pro and activated that you can then clean install again at any time.

Mooly, Aug 27, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    Windows 10 Home-to-Pro upgrade isn't cheap if I remember rightly - if you were buying a new laptop it might be better to look for one with Pro already installed. Is there a particular reason you wanted Pro?

DavidY, Aug 27, 2016
  6. kevvyb Win User
    kevvyb, Aug 28, 2016
  7. DavidY Win User
    Some Windows 10 Home machines come with 'Device Encryption' which is a cut-down version of Bitlocker. The hardware has to meet certain requirements (such as booting from a non-rotational disk) - basically I think it's intended for tablets and laptops which might get stolen. But you're talking about a reasonably high-spec laptop, or a tablet to get that.

I saw your other thread - I don't know the answer I'm afraid, although my first step would definitely be to de-crypt the disk if possible (is there a command line in option Truecrypt you could use?). Bitlocker has more chance of working than Truecrypt, although there was an update a couple of months back which broke my graphics driver so I had to type in the Bitlocker password 'blind' until I got it sorted. I gave up on Truecrypt when they didn't support Windows 8.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. clean reinstallation on OEM machine and possible upgrade - Similar Threads - clean reinstallation OEM

2. It is possible to upgrade windows 8.1 OEM license to a WINDOWS11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It is possible to upgrade windows 8.1 OEM license to a WINDOWS11?: Hi, I would like to know if it is possible and legal to buy a windows 11 license OEM, to sustitute a 8.1 OEM windows license, because its necesary to actualize the software but I can´t afford a new equipment.Thanks for the answer!Es posible o no hacer una actualización de una...
  3. It is possible to upgrade windows 8.1 OEM license to a WINDOWS11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It is possible to upgrade windows 8.1 OEM license to a WINDOWS11?: Hi, I would like to know if it is possible and legal to buy a windows 11 license OEM, to sustitute a 8.1 OEM windows license, because its necesary to actualize the software but I can´t afford a new equipment.Thanks for the answer!Es posible o no hacer una actualización de una...
  4. Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid: So my pc came preloaded with windows 7, and included an upgrade disk to 8 professional. Around 1/1/22 I started having data corruption issues which after numerous and reapeated attempts at saving the data via copying to another drive\vhd\vhdk\dd etc etc, the drive was finally...
  5. Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid: So my pc came preloaded with windows 7, and included an upgrade disk to 8 professional. Around 1/1/22 I started having data corruption issues which after numerous and reapeated attempts at saving the data via copying to another drive\vhd\vhdk\dd etc etc, the drive was finally...
  6. OEM Ofiice 2019 & clean reinstall of Win 10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OEM Ofiice 2019 & clean reinstall of Win 10: I'm about to get a Dell laptop with (some version of) Win 10 Pro and Office 2019 installed. I suspect I will do a clean reinstall of Windows to remove bloatware and am not sure how to handle Office 2019. I'm not worried about the installation - I recently installed Office...
  7. Reinstallation oem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstallation oem: I wonder if it is possible to reinstall a harddrive in a computer as many times as I like with the oem dvd sort of windows 10. When a I got a computer from my parents for a few years ago there was a following dvd media that was supossed to be used only for reinstallation in...
  8. Possible to upgrade clean install

Possible to upgrade clean install: I have several dell computers with Windows 7 Pro on them and need to upgrade them to 10 before support for 7 falls off in January. Is it possible to do a clean fresh install using my original windows 7 Pro key code or must i do a upgrade which i rather not do? 131433
  9. Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.: Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine it won't activate. I just thought I would report one of my testings. I installed windows 7 retail in the virtual machine and it activated. I upgraded to windows 10 and it activated. I did a clean install of windows 10...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...