Windows 10: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

Discus and support Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 How to Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 One commonly asked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

How to: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

How to Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

One commonly asked question is can I delete the WinSxS folder to regain some disk space? The short answer is no. However, there are ways to reduce the size of the WinSxS folder.

The component store (WinSxS folder) contains all the components that make-up Windows to allow you operate your system. These components are kept to rollback any problematic change or to repair a file that becomes corrupted.

The WinSxS folder is located in the Windows folder, for example "C:\Windows\WinSxS". Its the location for Windows Component Store files. The Windows Component Store is used to support the functions needed for the customization and updating of Windows. Here are some examples of how the Windows Component Store files are used:
    • Using Windows Update to install new component versions. This keeps systems secure and up-to-date.
    • Enabling or disabling Windows features.
    • Adding roles or features using Server Manager.
    • Moving systems between different Windows Editions.
    • System recovery from corruption or boot failures
    • Uninstalling problematic updates
    • Running programs using side-by-side assemblies
    Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 automatically reduces the size of the WinSxS by using methods similar to the ones described in this tutorial, however these methods also include internal processes, such as uninstalling and deleting packages with components that have been replaced by other components with newer versions. Previous versions of some components are kept on the system for a period of time, allowing you to rollback if necessary. After a period of time, these components are removed from the installation.

In Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, you have a number of ways to start the cleanup of the component store, which use a combination of package deletion and component compression to clean up the WinSxS folder.

For more information about the Windows Component Store (WinSxS folder), see:
    This tutorial will show you different ways on how to clean up the Component Store (WinSxS folder) to reduce its size in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to clean up the component store (WinSxS folder).

If you like, you can analyze the Component Store (WinSxS folder) first to see if it is recommended to clean up or not.

Contents
    • Option One: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using StartComponentCleanup Task
    • Option Two: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using /StartComponentCleanup with Dism Command
    • Option Three: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using /StartComponentCleanup and /ResetBase with Dism Command
    • Option Four: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using /SPSuperseded with Dism Command

OPTION ONE [/i] Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using StartComponentCleanup Task
    The StartComponentCleanup task was created in Windows 8 to regularly clean up components automatically when the system is not in use. This task is set to run automatically when triggered by the operating system. When run automatically, the task will wait at least 30 days after an updated component has been installed before uninstalling the previous versions of the component.

If you choose to run this task, the task will have a 1 hour timeout and may not completely clean up all files.

The StartComponentCleanup task can also be started from an elevated command prompt:

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup"

1 Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type taskschd.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

2 Navigate to and open the folder below in the left pane of Task Scheduler. (see screenshot below step 3)
    Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing
    3 In the middle pane of Servicing, select the StartComponentCleanup task, and click/tap on Run under Selected Item in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4 The StartComponentCleanup task will now be running until finished. This may take a while to finish running. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using /StartComponentCleanup with Dism Command
    Using the /StartComponentCleanup parameter of Dism.exe on a running version of Windows 10 gives you similar results to running the StartComponentCleanup task in Task Scheduler, except previous versions of updated components will be immediately deleted (without a 30 day grace period) and you will not have a 1-hour timeout limitation.

1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    3 When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like. This may take a while to finish running.

OPTION THREE [/i] Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using /StartComponentCleanup and /ResetBase with Dism Command
    Using the /ResetBase switch with the /StartComponentCleanup parameter of DISM.exe on a running version of Windows 10 removes all superseded versions of every component in the component store.

All existing service packs and updates cannot be uninstalled after this command is completed. This will not block the uninstallation of future service packs or updates.

2 Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    3 When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like. This may take a while to finish running.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) using /SPSuperseded with Dism Command
    To reduce the amount of space used by a Service Pack, use the /SPSuperseded parameter of Dism.exe on a running version of Windows 10 to remove any backup components needed for uninstallation of the service pack. A service pack is a collection of cumulative updates for a particular release of Windows.

The service pack cannot be uninstalled after this command is completed.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 19, 2016
  2. Smeed Win User
    Smeed, Oct 26, 2019
  3. digibucc Win User
    Windows 7: HUGE 26 GB system folder Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 :D :S

from here

digibucc, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight EMPTY FOLDERS

Hi Mike,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

WinSxS is a very complicated thing, called as component data Store.

Via

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

Warning

Deleting files from the WinSxS folder or deleting the entire WinSxS folder may severely damage your system so that your PC might not boot and make it impossible to update.

You can however try reducing its size.

Managing the component store.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Oct 26, 2019
  5. C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight EMPTY FOLDERS

Like I stated, I'm not interested in deleting files. I'm interested in deleting the thousands of COMPLETELY EMPTY folders. To restate my original question, "are these empty folders used by the system?"

MikeMike123, Oct 26, 2019
  6. TairikuOkami, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

1. Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clean Component Store

2. WinSxS folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSxS folder: My 60gb Surface Go has a WinSxS folder that's nearly 6gb. Last time I tried to to save disc space it got bigger. How can I reclaim some of the 6gb? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winsxs-folder/71c6c87a-87f6-443a-93aa-15ea379e7d0c
  3. WinSxS folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WinSxS folder: My 60gb Surface Go has a WinSxS folder that's nearly 6gb. Last time I tried to to save disc space it got bigger. How can I reclaim some of the 6gb? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winsxs-folder/71c6c87a-87f6-443a-93aa-15ea379e7d0c
  4. WinSxS folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean Winsxs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Winsxs: My previous update is on May 4th. I updated Windows update on May 15th. Is after analyze component store recommended yes to start component cleanup on June 3rd? I want to get May 4th update removed. May 4th to June 3rd is 30 days but I updated on May 15th. I hope after...
  6. Clean Winsxs

Clean Winsxs: My previous update is on May 4th. I updated Windows update on May 15th. Is after analyze component store recommended yes to start component cleanup on June 3rd? I want to get May 4th update removed. May 4th to June 3rd is 30 days but I updated on May 15th. I hope after...
  7. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dism not cleaning up WinSxS: Hello, I'm having the same problem that author of this post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-not-cleaning-up-winsxs/4876c1b6-0257-4d8e-b2ca-58165cb1e900 I tried these commands: REM previous versions of updated components will be immediately...
  8. WinSxS Folder in Windows Folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WinSxS Folder in Windows Folder.: Are you given permission to delete WinSxS or "TrustedInstaller" will prevent you? Im just curious because will it just allow you to delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winsxs-folder-in-windows-folder/b894e678-1a16-4d4e-98ed-0c94e8e3afac
  9. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS: Hello My WinSxS folder is currently ~6GB big, so I tried using "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" (and variants) to clean it up. The "problem" is that Dism doesn't actually clean up WinSxS, but says it did: when I start the command (in admin mode on...
  10. Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10: How to: Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 How to Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 One commonly asked question is can I delete the WinSxS folder to regain some disk space? The short answer is no. However, there are ways to reduce...