Windows 10: Clean up poorly running computer before the upgrade?

Discus and support Clean up poorly running computer before the upgrade? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My friend has asked me to help upgrade his computer to 10. The computer is running slowly right now. Past experience with his computer tells me that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Vincenzo, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Vincenzo Win User

Clean up poorly running computer before the upgrade?

My friend has asked me to help upgrade his computer to 10. The computer is running slowly right now. Past experience with his computer tells me that it most likely has a lot of PUPs and adware, possibly a virus or two. Do I need to clean it up before the upgrade, or will the upgrade take care of removing that stuff?

Thanks

:)

Vincenzo, Jul 29, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Computer running poorly after upgrading to Windows 10

I might download the windows 10
    Media Creation Tool

Then make myself the iso for use on another computer- saved to a non system disk.. or the program has other options too.

You can just double click the iso it makes or right click it and Mount and run its setup to reinstall windows 10 which can fix many things.

Use the express install as that seems to be what it knows how to do best.

Don't enter any keys - if it asks for one you should see skip or do this later link on the same page.

If you have a 3rd party Anti-Virus program installed remove it first.. they seem to cause too many problems for the 10 upgrade.

Unplug any non essential usb or other devices connected to the computer.

Lenovo support has a list of programs they think cause win10 upgrade/install snafu's.. might be
    worthy of a quick look to see if you have anything on their list.

'Mike P, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Computer running poorly after upgrading to Windows 10

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I find my computer slow. I constantly get "this page can't be displayed" message when trying to log on to my MSN home page. When I try to open my e-mails in Outlook.com I keep getting "Outlook cannot open right now please
    try again later" or again "this page can't be displayed". I am working now on another computer with Windows 7 and I am not having any of these problems.

I also cannot get in to the Windows Store and have tried several suggestions from the community to try and get in but they are not working. I need help!

GraceMcGee_865, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Clean up as much as you can before upgrading.

Snakeyes, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Machistmo Win User
    I would not count on the OS install or upgrade removing any Malware. Absolutely try to clean the system of all Malware before proceeding. Also you could try installing Ghostery and adBlock Plus for your friend, assuming he is using a supported browser. Then install a good paid or free endpoint solution might help too.

Machistmo, Aug 28, 2015
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Remember you have to disable your current antivirus prior to updating if it's not W10 supported.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Machistmo Win User
    Good advice - BD TS 2015 crippled me on a box both right after the upgrade and then a day later after I had removed it and reinstalled the proper version. 100% shutdown all network connections.

Machistmo, Aug 28, 2015
  8. Clean up poorly running computer before the upgrade?

I've found a really good tool for removing PUPs is MalwareByte's AntiMalware. You should try using that.

Mark Phelps, Aug 28, 2015
  9. CmmTch Win User
    I've found SuperAntiSpyware to be a good remover of cookies and other miscellaneous bad things. Here's the link, SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! click on the red "Free Edition Download"

Watch out for the usual possible installs of items other than SAS when installing. The applications' home site is less likely to have those things, but be vigilant, it's too easy to accidently install a toolbar, a browser, search engines, etc...

CmmTch, Aug 29, 2015
  10. moondoggy Win User
    In addition to all of the clean up that you do with these other tools, I would suggest that you download Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com and run this utility twice in safe mode and run each step in the program twice. This may fixe a number of errors that have crept in or have been caused by malware, viruses, etc. that don't get fixed by the other tools.

You can also install CCleaner to clean up the junk as well.

Both of the above programs are free.

moondoggy, Aug 30, 2015
  11. Vincenzo Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions. I restored the computer to factory, then did the upgrade.

Vincenzo, Aug 30, 2015
  12. Snakeyes Win User
    Good move. Best of luck

Snakeyes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean up poorly running computer before the upgrade? - Similar Threads - Clean poorly running

2. Computer clean up - My computer is running slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer clean up - My computer is running slow: What do I need to do to make my computer run faster? My programs, documents, websites & etc are taking way too long to load. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-clean-up-my-computer-is-running-slow/8d1e0b35-9c8d-4f4c-b68b-c0ec7bcf5c07
  3. Computer clean up - My computer is running slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer clean up - My computer is running slow: What do I need to do to make my computer run faster? My programs, documents, websites & etc are taking way too long to load. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-clean-up-my-computer-is-running-slow/8d1e0b35-9c8d-4f4c-b68b-c0ec7bcf5c07
  4. Clean up files after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean up files after Upgrade: Split from this thread. Can anyone help WhenI update windows 7 to windows 10 I encounter some problem so I came back to windows 10but there are some files which are from windows 10 what to do about that it is taking my disk space tell me, please...
  5. Poor Start up response

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Poor Start up response: When booting my PC (running Windows 10 Home Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.1158) it seems to use 50% of the disk for up to ten minutes, and everything runs very slow. I ran HD Sentinel and got the following response - [img] Is this as critical as it suggests, and do I only...
  6. Games running Poorly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games running Poorly.: Ever since the latest update, games that were once running smoothly (60-120fps) are now struggling to get to 40-30fps. I was on the phone all day yesterday with Nividia and of course they say the problem is with the windows update. I’ve rolled my drivers back twice, same...
  7. cleaning up computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cleaning up computer: I constantly get pop up saying that there is little disk space on my computer. I don't have any files on my computer and like it to be set to its original manufacturing state. What can I do?...
  8. Laptop running poorly for gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop running poorly for gaming: An update for Geforce and Windows came about, so I updated them both and restarted my laptop. I went to play some games afterwards then suddenly I noticed a major frame drop issue... What I did was I checked to see if my drivers are up to date (which they are), checked my...
  9. my internet is too poor to run my computer with windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my internet is too poor to run my computer with windows 10: We have a dell Inspiron 3252. It's a year old, but we haven't even bothered to turn it on for more than six months. I tried deleting everything that I could think of that was possibly running and slowing things down, but I probably don't know enough to do this properly. It...
  10. cleaning up computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cleaning up computer: My computer is running slow. Are Cleanup programs safe? Does removing broken registry keys, junk files and so forth help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/cleaning-up-computer/0b776977-c711-4c21-ab4f-f3944afa9482