Windows 10: Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

Discus and support Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10. He bought a new SSD drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Antilope, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Antilope Win User

Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10.

He bought a new SSD drive for the laptop. I thought I would try an experiment and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD drive would activate with the Windows 7 Pro product key that is printed on a sticker under the laptop battery.

I removed the old spinning hard drive and installed the new bare SSD drive, making sure the bios is set to ACHI. The laptop is older and does not support UEFI, so it will have an MBR partitioning scheme.

I created a bootable Windows 10 x64 USB flash drive using Rufus from a downloaded ISO (version 1511).

The ISO I used asks if you want to install Home or Pro, I chose PRO. When the Windows 10 installer asked for a product key, I checked the "I don't have a product key" option. I decided to enter the Windows 7 Pro product key after Windows 10 was installed. The install proceeded normally to completion, asking for a Microsoft Account, which I provided.

After Windows 10 was installed, I opened the Settings, Updates & Security, Activation settings. It stated the PC was not activated because it had no digital entitlement. I selected "change product key" and entered the Windows 7 Pro product key printed on a label under the laptops battery. Windows 10 Pro activated right away.

So, now that Windows 7 product keys are accepted for Windows 10 activation, it appears you do not have to preform an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 first. Saves a lot of trouble and time.

:)

Antilope, Jan 10, 2016

2. Licence Key problem

Did you upgrade win 7 to win 10 or clean install win 10? Win 10 is an upgrade. If you did not upgrade you will have to re-install the previous OS then upgrade or purchase a win 10 key. You cannot use a key to activate the released version of win 10

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade

I recently upgraded my Win 7 pc to Win 10. But it isn't up to running win 10! if I upgrade or replace my pc, can I just install a clean copy of win 10 and use the win 7 activation key to install the new os?

Martinoleary, Jan 10, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade - Similar Threads - Clean Install Activated

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. upgrade win 7 pc to win 10

upgrade win 7 pc to win 10: hey.this is my desctop pc for my work place.i want to upgrade win 7 to win 10.i use import software about my work place.if i upgrade with windows update assistant my software maybe removed/?//?...
  6. Clean install win 10 on win 7 running PC

Clean install win 10 on win 7 running PC: I have intel i5 6th generation PC that has Windows 7 Professional 32bit. If I do windows 10 clean install Can I get windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-win-10-on-win-7-running-pc/29e86df3-77a2-4af8-9b7a-7b9fcadbe3c8
  7. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install: I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7. Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what...
  8. How to activate previously activated Win 10 on Win 7 laptop after crash leads to clean...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate previously activated Win 10 on Win 7 laptop after crash leads to clean...: During the period when upgrading to Win 10 was free, I did that with my Win 7x64 Home laptop and then rolled back, figuring sooner or later I'd come back to it when I had the time or need. Yesterday while uninstalling some programs, the laptop went into a data dump and then...
  9. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  10. Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?: Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it was "Checking for Updates",...