Windows 10: (clean) Win10 Free Upgrade: Multiple systems?

Discus and support (clean) Win10 Free Upgrade: Multiple systems? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have ~40 Windows 8.1 Pro OEM workstations, which should qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10. However, I do not wish to do an upgrade. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ltwally, Sep 9, 2015.

1. ltwally Win User

(clean) Win10 Free Upgrade: Multiple systems?

We have ~40 Windows 8.1 Pro OEM workstations, which should qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10.

However, I do not wish to do an upgrade. I would much rather re-image their disks. (All user data is stored in roaming profiles, and we have software to automate installing the few user applications we use.)

So, from what I've read, our only option is this:
    1) Install the Win10 upgrade on an individual workstation (which will then register it in whatever database MS is using to keep track of this stuff)
    2) Create restoration media for that workstation
    3) Use said restoration media on that workstation to do a clean-install
    4) Re-install applications / join domain / etc
    5) Repeate steps 1-4 for each and every workstation

That last bit is where I'm getting hung up. Requiring me to do an upgrade install on a workstation just to build restore media for that workstation, and do this for each and every workstation... even with only 40 workstations, that gets time consuming, fast.

Ideally, what I'd like to be able to do is: Get a clean install of Windows 10 on one system, image the disk to the other workstations, and then change their product keys and SIDs as necessary. However, if my understanding of the upgrade options MS has handed us is correct, this is not an option.

Does anyone have an alternative that would allow us to utilize the free upgrade path, and do a clean-install, without having to jump through quite so many hoops?

Thanks

:)

ltwally, Sep 9, 2015
  2. lemons94 Win User

New SSD; easiest way to move OS over?

Thanks - If I clean install Win7 can I still upgrade to Win10? As I used the free upgrade and obviously it's not free anymore.

lemons94, Sep 9, 2015
  3. fje000 Win User
    Is it possible to switch architecture from 32 to 64?

I have Win8.1 32 bit. Can I upgrade to win 10 64 bit?

I know that the free upgrade does not support switching architectures, but answers in this forum go on to say that switching architectures is supported from a custom install when booted from install media. What does this mean exactly?

I have seen it clarified that the free upgrade is not supported from a clean install ... at first. But after the initial free upgrade install (and activation), then clean install is supported.

So therefore, after the initial free update install (from win8.1 32 bit to win10 32 bit) and activation, can a clean install be done from win10 32 bit to win10 64bit using install media AND maintain the activation?

fje000, Sep 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Steps 2 and 3 can use a generic system image. Step 1 must be done for each individual computer separately and uniquely. After the separate and unique upgrade has been performed on the computer, a generic, non-activated Windows 10 image can be put on it and that Windows 10 will activate based on the information stored on Microsoft activation servers during step 1.

NavyLCDR, Sep 9, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. (clean) Win10 Free Upgrade: Multiple systems? - Similar Threads - clean Win10 Free

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  5. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  6. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  7. clean reinstall of windows 10 free upgrade

clean reinstall of windows 10 free upgrade: I had Windows 7 and had a problem with my pc randomly freezing then i upgraded to the free windows 10 and i still have the radom freezing can i do a clean reinstall of windows 10 by delete the partitions of my hard drive, formatting it then do a clean install of win 10, if so...
  8. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  9. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10: How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215

Users found this page by searching for:

1. multiple systems win10