Windows 10: Clean Windows 10 install due to corrupt file system/no boot

Discus and support Clean Windows 10 install due to corrupt file system/no boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Grettings All, I'm currently working on a laptop for a friend that has Windows 10 and is in a non bootable state with missing files, directories,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Microbell, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Microbell Win User

Clean Windows 10 install due to corrupt file system/no boot

Grettings All,

I'm currently working on a laptop for a friend that has Windows 10 and is in a non bootable state with missing files, directories, reset options and is stuck in the "Unable to Fix" state. I'm pretty sure the issue is related to BCD and boot options but all attempts have failed to rebuild the boot sector. (Been on it for 2 days)

Laptop info:

Toshiba Satellite
    Model: C75D-B7297
    Version: Can't Obtain. (No Windows Folder... no winver command)
    Bios: UEFI Mode

Tried to reset the PC back to factory but the program gives the error code 0xc0000225 which I can not fix by the methods mentioned in several forums and I can't copy the boot files from the recovery disk to C: as it only contains 5 directories and no system files or Windows directories. So I downloaded a bootable Windows 10 Home iso disk using the Media Creation Tool (DVD) and was going to do a fresh install but I have a few questions before I proceed.

1. Will the Activation License transfer to new install? (I think it's embedded on the UEFI chip)
    2. Should I remove the partition that contained "Recovery Files" for the reset (assuming yes..delete all but primary)
    3. Stay with Windows 10 default drivers or load Toshiba's?

*Note*

Commands like bootrec /FixBoot, BCDBoot fail. Some settings like Startup Settings, Startup Repair missing from the "Troubleshoot" tab which sometimes returns an error clicking "Advanced". All Autofix methods fail. Chkdsk passed. SFC scan returns a "Could Not Perform Request" message.

Booting from the recovery disk and checking C: drive I only have the following folders/files in that directory:

1. AeriaGames (DIR) Some game they downloaded
    2. Logs (DIR)
    3. Perflogs (Dir)
    4. Program Files (Dir)
    5. Users (Dir)
    6. Recovery.txt (File) Nothing in it.... 0 bytes

Which would explain errors like the scan/boot command as there is no C:\Windows folder.....lol

Anyway if you guys have any input please reply as this is my first attempt at a Windows 10 repair/reinstall (I'm a 7 guy)

Thanks!

:)

Microbell, Mar 13, 2018

2. windows 10 updates

Hello Robert,

One reason why the 2017-08-28 Cumulative Update failed to install is due to missing or corrupted system files. What we recommend is that you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for
    corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. You may check the article below for the steps in running the System File Checker.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

If the issue persists, kindly perform a clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you
    run a program in Windows 10. You may follow the steps provided in the article below.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

We look forward to your update.

Vanessa Oca, Mar 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Store App Keeps Crashing (as Does Game Center & Edge)

One factor which might have caused why Windows Store will not open is due to missing or corrupted system files. What we recommend is that you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for
    corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. You may check the article below for the steps in running the System File Checker.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

If the issue persists, kindly perform a clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you
    run a program in Windows 10. You may follow the steps provided in the article below.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

We look forward to your update.

Vanessa Oca, Mar 13, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Recommended before you start: check the disk to make sure it's ok. See below.

1. Will the Activation License transfer to new install?
    Yes- normal case- aheld by MS's activation servers against hardware id.

2. Should I remove the partition that contained "Recovery Files"
    If you never intend to restore the PC to 'as bought' you can remove that.

3. Stay with Windows 10 default drivers or load Toshiba's?
    Windows/MS maintains all the basic drivers you need. Only change these if particular problems. However, if there's a particular Toshiba utility you want to use, you can of course download and use that.

If you wish to recover data from the PC you could use e.g. this useful boot disk:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

You can use HD Tune on this disk to check the disk(s) on the PC.
    (Health, Error scan).

Note: you could also find out what version of Windows was on there by navigating to e.g. explorer.exe, rt click, properties, detail- except you say you can't find a Windows folder.

Note that when you boot a PC like that, your Windows partition will almost certainly not be C:

dalchina, Mar 13, 2018
  5. Microbell Win User
    Not my PC but I'm assuming it may be corrupt as well.

Downloading now for future use. Already saved what I could via XCopy
    Only using the PRO version and installing. Need a portable version that supports 10 correct?

Correct. No C:\Windows folder

If that would be the case I would not be able to see those other 5 directories that reside on C:. Using DISKPART displayed only disk0 with 4 volumes and partition command matched.

1. Vol 0 D: drive with the DVD/ISO
    2. Vol 1 C:\ NTFS Partition
    3. Vol 2 ESP Fat32 (EFI Partition) Hidden
    4. Vol 3 NTFS (Recovery Partition) Hidden

4 Partitions listed for disk0

1. Part 1 System= Vol 2
    2. Part 2 Reserved= 16MB)
    3. Part 3 Primary= Vol 1
    4. Part 4 Recovery= Vol3

Microbell, Mar 13, 2018
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Mount ISO and copy the files to a fat32 formatted USB
    Boot from the USB media
    And you will be able to use explorer to SEE what is on HDD
    and run disk commands as needed

7. dalchina New Member
    Note: "you can use HD Tune on this disk"

If you look at the URL for Kyhi's disk, you will see it includes a lot of utilities ready to go.
    That's one of them. They are listed there.

Don't forget, when you boot from it, just like Win 10, it also has a Start Menu.

dalchina, Mar 13, 2018
  8. Microbell Win User

Thanks for all your input gents!

In the end I wasn't able to save the install as the system was just too corrupt. Crystaldisk showed the "Warning" for the "Reallocated Sectors" but was close enough to the threshold that I just did a "Clean Install" of 10 over it. I might have replaced it if it was mine but they didn't want to and I have a hard drive in my system with that warning for over 3 years so you just don't know.

Anyway thanks again as I now have new tools and knowledge into Windows 10 and if I run into another hassle I'll be sure to shoot a message!

Marking Resolved

Microbell, Mar 15, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    FYI, the Windows 10 Setup checks the SMART data too.

I once tried to clean install to a used HDD I had just bought. Setup said the disk was about to fail and I shouldn't use it. There was an option to continue regardless (which I took, as this was just a test run). After installing I ran CrystalDisk Info which showed more that 24,000 reallocated sectors (took that HDD back for a replacement).

If Setup didn't warn you then there's probably a bit of life left in it yet, but don't rely on it long-term.

10. I understand someone NOT wanting to pay for a new drive -- as I support a bunch of PCs for my extended family and no one wants to pay for ANYTHING.

But ... I had a 3-month old Seagate drive start spitting out SMART warnings, and I ignored them (because it was so new) and within a week, it was DEAD.

With 1TB drives costing under $30 these days, it's not like it's major money to replace a drive.

Just saying ... when their drive crashes and they lose everything on it, they will wish they had spent the $30.

Mark Phelps, Mar 15, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    It's called...

Backblaze | How long do disk drives last?

12. zbook New Member
    Bree,
    What information have you seen on failure of hard drives not due to hardware failure?

zbook, Mar 15, 2018
  13. Microbell Win User

Thanks Bree. I knew that but I wasn't going to mess with installing Windows 10 if there was a serious issue with the hard drive. While it may fail in time there can be no set timetable as long as the reallocated sectors don't climb at a express rate. Like I said in my last post....I have one drive in my setup (that I've been watching for 3 years) that's constantly getting reads/writes and it's still setting at 195 (024 Raw Value) and the threshold is 140 and it was 194 when I first discovered it so you never know.

That said I monitor it closely and data is backed up on a regular basis! *Smile

Microbell, Mar 15, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Not sure I understand your question. What sort of HDD failures would not be down to hardware?

Backblaze seem to have gathered the most HDD data, their 2017 review was published last month. If you'd like to search their entire data set....

Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2017

15. zbook New Member
    HD can fail for malfunctioning hardware or software.
    Software for example could be: normal tests of HD Sentinel, HD Tune, Crystal Disk, SeaTools for WIndows, Crystal Disk in all of the testing categories (Health (SMART), Benchmark, Surface or Error scan, and temperature. The test results could be excellent for the parameters tested and the drive could e failing as the component was not tested. These problems could include recurrent failure to boot, or chkdsk drive file system corruption, etc.

The computer that I am using in this post had all of the above test passes (SMART, temperature, benchmark, full error scan and has had recurrent chkdsk problems.

So I am looking for information on how to test for drive software failure and what information is in the literature.
    I think they categorize the software HD failures as logical errors.

HP will RMA warranty drives for hardware failure but will not for software failure.

The article that was posted seemed to have information on hardware failure of drives. In the article I didn't see any comments on drive software failure.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Windows 10 install due to corrupt file system/no boot - Similar Threads - Clean install due

2. Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?: This past week I finally decided to upgrade my PC. In coalition with a few other components, I bought a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 SSD as a replacement boot drive, planning to keep my 1TB Seagate HDD as extra storage.After installing and initializing the SSD, I shut down my computer...
  3. Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?: This past week I finally decided to upgrade my PC. In coalition with a few other components, I bought a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 SSD as a replacement boot drive, planning to keep my 1TB Seagate HDD as extra storage.After installing and initializing the SSD, I shut down my computer...
  4. Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 Won't Boot - System files corrupted?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Won't Boot - System files corrupted?: Hello, Windows 10 will not boot on my PC at all. Apparently my system files are corrupted/deleted, since just before it stopped working, a pop-up stated that a diagnostics file was not able to function on Windows, and then the entire computer started to display erratic...
  6. Best way to clean install Windows 10 without any corrupted system files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to clean install Windows 10 without any corrupted system files?: Is using active killdisk erase option then install Windows 10 latest October 2020 update bootable file. Or something else that can guarantee the freshest install of Windows? I would like to the best option that will ensure that my system files will be repair and won't so...
  7. 20H2 system files corrupted on a clean Windows installation sfc /scannow

20H2 system files corrupted on a clean Windows installation sfc /scannow: Hi, I have noticed that sfc /scannow corrected system files. I wonder. So I tested again on a clean Windows 10 20H2 installation and run directly after sfc /scannow. Preparation for testing: I used VMware Workstation 16.0.0 I created a new virtual machine with default...
  8. System not working due to corrupted files and registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System not working due to corrupted files and registry: Hi MS team, I am having an issue with my windows 10 system. I am not able to update or install any software like MS Office the reason is due to corrupted files and registers available I tried to use all too like chckdisk sfc /scannow or dism but no use even they are not...
  9. Windows update error due to system corrupted files

Windows update error due to system corrupted files: Hello, Windows update didn't update cumulative updates for .net framework I tried literally everything... 1. Manual update didn't work 2. Windows update troubleshooting didnt work 3. I found corrupted system files so I tried sfc didn't work... DISM restorehelth stuck on...
  10. System file corruption on clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System file corruption on clean install: Win10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.267 Here is a guide I have followed and didn't help; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors I ended up creating a bootable usb with MediaCreationTool1903, deleting all partitions and doing a fresh install. After...