Windows 10: Cleaning disk

Discus and support Cleaning disk in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, sorry for the bad translation, I hope it is correct. In Windows 10 there is a tool called "CLEANING DISK". It examines the disk and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pipppero2007, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Cleaning disk

Hello,

sorry for the bad translation, I hope it is correct.

In Windows 10 there is a tool called "CLEANING DISK".

It examines the disk and give you some option of things that you can delete (recicle bin, cache, memory dump, etc.).

What I don't understand is the LAST thing that you can clean :"PREVIEWS".

To me it's 200MB. What is "PREVIEWS"? IT's the thumbail of the images??? That stuff was not removed from XP??? I never see that hidden files "*.db" in my folders.

Please help.

:)

Pipppero2007, Jul 22, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

No disk space even after cleaning the disk

Open Disk Management to see a visual of what is going on. Check partitions to see if windows is installed on the main partition and not on one of the hidden or system partitions.

To get more help you will have to provide more info about your setup including the model computer, windows version, how you upgraded, any errors, any other relevant info as well as what disk management shows.

mlg63, Jul 22, 2017
  3. No disk space even after cleaning the disk

I have no disk space left on a 2 TB hard drive even after I clean it. There is not enough data that I have put on here to fill even a 300GB drive. Please help!!!!!

DeanCarlson778, Jul 22, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Cleaning disk

Yes, in an English install those are shown as "DISK CLEAN UP" and "THUMBNAILS". To see the 'Thumbs.db' files you have to turn on 'Show hidden files' AND turn off 'Hide protected system files' in File Explorer's options.

5. Hello,

I am sure that hidden and system files are shown but I don't see any Thumbs.db anywhere. To be sincere, it's some years that I don't see those files. Are you sure there are in the same folder of the pictures or maybe now they are in another place?

Pipppero2007, Jul 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You are right - the hidden system files Thumbs.db that I see in my photos folders are old, they date back to the Windows 7 originally on this PC.

Looking closer, I see that for Windows 10 they are all kept in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cleaning disk

1. Cleaning disk - Similar Threads - Cleaning disk

2. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files: Windows 10 - Disk cleanup will not delete Temp. Int or Thumbnail files no matter what I do. Did %temp%, scan now, all DISM's took forever, storage sense on, everything others recommend but nothing I do cleans up Temp. Int. or Thumbnails. What else can I do short of...
  3. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files: Windows 10 - Disk cleanup will not delete Temp. Int or Thumbnail files no matter what I do. Did %temp%, scan now, all DISM's took forever, storage sense on, everything others recommend but nothing I do cleans up Temp. Int. or Thumbnails. What else can I do short of...
  4. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Clean not completing when resetting pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Clean not completing when resetting pc: Tried multiple times to reset pc ready for a sale so selecting clean disk. Keeps failing and tried troubleshooting but not overly technical so really struggling with the command prompt actions. Please help!!...
  6. Disk Clean not completing when resetting pc

Disk Clean not completing when resetting pc: Tried multiple times to reset pc ready for a sale so selecting clean disk. Keeps failing and tried troubleshooting but not overly technical so really struggling with the command prompt actions. Please help!!...
  7. Disk Clean not completing when resetting pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up: Hey, I'm trying to clear my system files on my C drive because I'm running out of space. So I'm trying to use disk clean up, it says I can clear 8.6GB but it never clears. I'm running it in admin mode but I'm not sure what to do. I've also tried using the Microsoft app 'PC...
  9. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up: Hey, I'm trying to clear my system files on my C drive because I'm running out of space. So I'm trying to use disk clean up, it says I can clear 8.6GB but it never clears. I'm running it in admin mode but I'm not sure what to do. I've also tried using the Microsoft app 'PC...
  10. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up