Windows 10: Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

Discus and support Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 How to Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 Clearing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cutedrdave, May 21, 2016.

1. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

How to: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10

How to Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10

Clearing File Explorer history deletes the information Windows saved about the files and folders you use as well as what you've typed in the address bar.

This tutorial will show you how to clear the history of File Explorer and Run dialog box for your account in Windows 10.

Contents
    • Option One: Clear File Explorer and history in File Explorer Options
    • Option Two: Clear File Explorer history using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: File Explorer history

(Quick access - unpinned Frequent folders and Recent files)

Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10 [​IMG]

(File Explorer File menu - unpinned Frequent places)

(File Explorer jump list)

(File Explorer address bar typed history)

(Run dialog box typed history)

OPTION ONE [/i] Clear File Explorer and Run dialog box history in File Explorer Options
    1 Open File Explorer Options.

2 In the General tab, click/tap on the Clear button for Clear File Explorer history under Privacy. (see screenshot below)

3 You can now close File Explorer Options if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Clear File Explorer and Run dialog box history using a BAT file
    The downloadable .bat file in this option contains the commands below that will delete these items to clear File Explorer history for your account.

Del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\*
    Del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\*
    Del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\*
    REG Delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU /VA /F
    REG Delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths /VA /F

1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Clear_File_Explorer_History.bat

Download
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3 Unblock the .bat file.

4 Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

cutedrdave, May 21, 2016
  2. Arul_D Win User

File history says it's working but the total space stays at zero

Hi Cathode,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to clear the File Explorer history and check the status of this issue.

To clear the File explorer history follow the steps

Steps to clear File Explorer history in Windows 10:

Step 1: Open File Explorer Options.

Step 2: In the General settings, find Clear File Explorer history on the bottom and click the
    Clear button.

Refer the link below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arul_D, May 21, 2016
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Deleting files from File History in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please clarify which File History are you referring to.

1. The file explorer file history or the backup feature file history?

2. Are you referring to file explorer file history?

If you are referring to File Explorer File History then follow the steps below to clear File History.

1. Type Windows key + E.

2. Tap or click on File.

3. Go to Options.

4. In General tab under privacy click on clear to clear file history.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Pavan_N, May 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

Hello David, *Smile

That's correct. Both options perform the same action and affect the same thing. I like to try and provide different ways to do the same thing to help folks do it the way that's easiest for them.

I believe the one's for Office will be different. The tutorial is basically just for explorer items.

Brink, May 21, 2016
  5. OK thanks for the quick response!

I guess that will be a topic for another day! *Smile

cutedrdave, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

1. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clear File Explorer

2. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  3. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  4. Clearing File History Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clearing File History Drive: I use File History, Windows 10 2004. Over time, the File History drive gets full. Often that's because some folders have got very large and I no longer need them in the backup. I want to remove these folders from the backup drive (not just stop them being backed up to the...
  5. How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?: How do I clear the Search "history" in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clear-the-search-history-in-file-explorer/b4ff9c91-f943-4683-b936-df61dab5ecb4"
  6. Movie maker clear history/files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movie maker clear history/files...: How to clear windows movie maker history?? and why isn't there like a clear history button? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movie-maker-clear-historyfiles/dc21f761-abeb-414a-8c10-e69f50a4da3c
  7. File explorer search history is not clearing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer search history is not clearing: Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums...
  8. Clear Troubleshooting History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Troubleshooting History in Windows 10: How to: Clear Troubleshooting History in Windows 10 How to Clear Troubleshooting History in Windows 10 [img] Information If something isn't working in Windows 10, running a troubleshooter might help. Troubleshooters can find and fix many common problems for you....
  9. Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Clear File Explorer Search History in Windows 10 The search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These suggestions are the history of your past typed searches...
  10. Clear Reliability History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Reliability History in Windows 10: How to: Clear Reliability History in Windows 10 How to Clear Reliability History in Windows 10 Reliability Monitor is an advanced tool that provides a system stability overview and details about events that impact reliability. It calculates the Stability Index shown in...