Windows 10: Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

Discus and support Clear Pagefile on Shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage: In the registry editor, navigate to:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregyurkon, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    • In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    • Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    • Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

:)

gregyurkon, Dec 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 takes too long to shutdown/restart/hibernate

check this first

goto

• Click Start, type secpol.msc, and then press ENTER.
    • Expand Local Policies.
    • Click Security Options.
    • Look in the 'Security Setting column to the right side of the Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile entry.

Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile

Disable it.

JamieHarding, Dec 30, 2015
  3. ВеСе Win User
    Best pagefile size for Windows 10 x64 OS

Sorry I bump this question but wanted to ask if pagefile set to System Managed and Automatic memory dump then can this cause disk space to change (to become smaller, i.e pagefile increasing) when CPU, memory and disk usage is high? Today I opened around
    30 tabs in Mozilla and then I noticed 2 gb from my C was gone. I cleared Mozilla cache and history but the 2 gb weren't restored. Might this be because system automatically making pagefile bigger because of high resources usage?

ВеСе, Dec 30, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

You are running a VM - you could test it *Wink (shut down your VM, mount the vhd and have a look).

yes it does still work the same

Really though I have to ask why? Sure there can be stuff in your pagefile (passwords perhaps) but if your disk isn't encrypted then it hardly matters as it would normally be much much easier to read things elsewhere. It isn't easy to read pagefile as there isn't any logic in where things are or in what format.

Is your reason security? If so FDE is the only solution.

If your reason is performance it will only make it worse - even MS say so
    source

5. LMiller7 Win User
    Clearing the pagefile is a security measure. In spite of claims to the contrary it has no other benefits. It writes zeroes to every byte of the pagefile. It does not delete the pagefile as sometimes claimed. It will increase shutdown time, particularly on systems with slow hard drives (laptops). It cannot be used with hibernation. While it isn't really a bad idea it makes little sense except as part of a comprehensive security policy. Most systems have security risks that are more serious than an uncleared pagefile. In most cases a hacker could obtain what he wanted by other means with less effort.

LMiller7, Dec 31, 2015
  6. Regarding testing it, all I really know how to do is make sure that nothing bad happens, which I did last night.

My reason is basically paranoia about privacy stemming from a bad experience.

As far as FDE is concerned, I haven't fully explored data-leak issues yet, but, so far it looks as if 7zip and Eraser would meet my needs adequately. (I'll probably be posting another thread or looking elsewhere, if not.)

I'm aware of the performance issue, but it doesn't seem to be a problem right now.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

gregyurkon, Dec 31, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    It really depends.

FDE (and clearing pagefile which is pointless I think) stop people getting information from your PC if they steal it.

If someone has access to your PC and is signed on and you are trying to stop them accessing certain files then you could use 7zip I guess (and FDE would not help). It is a whole other question.

I use bitlocker (in case I lose my laptop again) but I also have accounts for my wife and son. If they get past the bitlocker (which they can with their fingerprints obviously) then it is as open as any other PC for them. So I have further encrypted containers (I use 7-zip). VMs I use are also encrypted. Just because.

Anyway, sorry about your issue and do try to explain who your are trying to stop accessing what, perhaps we can help.

Do remember though that if you give away your details online it makes no difference what security you had on your local PC when you did it.

8. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

My concerns are with general theft and privacy issues.

gregyurkon, Dec 31, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Theft? Upgrade to Pro and enable bitlocker. There is no other sensible supported solution at all any more.

Privacy? It is entirely separate. It is valid concern but there are too many tin foil hat conspiracy nuts who keep jumping on anything with the word "privacy" and complaining about MS - it is just too boring. Please open another thread for that (so I can ignore them).

You could look here for a start though - Tor Project: Anonymity Online Do read the FAQ though, they are quite interesting.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

1. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown - Similar Threads - Clear Pagefile Shutdown

2. Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?: My virtual memory is a bit high, I do have it set to let windows automatically handle it. people have been telling me enabling clearing Virtual memory on shut down is safe and in some cases recommended for security reasons. And many others told me it wasn't safe but that was...
  3. Clearing files and personal data on shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clearing files and personal data on shutdown: I work with a charity who are setting up laptops for clients to use in house. They will be shared laptops so I am conscious of clients using and storing personal data in them. I was going to just create a desktop background with warnings to prevent this but a colleague said...
  4. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  5. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  6. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?: Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down. Most online tutorial suggest to do this via Advanced system settings -> Performance -> Setting -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory, uncheck...
  7. Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart: I've edited the registry key value to 1 instead of 0 I'm running Win10 Home so Group Policy won't launch Manually set pagefile to 0 in System Performance through 'This PC' BIOS doesn't have an option for clearing RAM or pagefile upon shutdown Is there another way to...
  8. PageFile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PageFile: I'm really in need of pc storage, I tried everything to empty the PageFile.sys at shutdown by changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 1 on the registry, and I tried to change it's location to my E drive where I have more space by nothing won't work the file stay in C...
  9. Desktops clear upon shutdown?

Desktops clear upon shutdown?: I am thinking of setting up multiple desktops for my different workflows (I do a lot of complex things from stocks to programming), each with special layouts that I find bothersome to reopen every time I want to switch activities. Is there a way for these layouts to stay even...
  10. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is...