Windows 10: Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Clear File Explorer Search History in Windows 10 The search box in File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Yasak Hayat, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to: Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to Clear File Explorer Search History in Windows 10

The search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These suggestions are the history of your past typed searches into the search box.

This tutorial will show you how to clear the typed search history in File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Clear Specific File Explorer Search History Suggestions
    • Option Two: To Clear All File Explorer Search History in Ribbon
    • Option Three: To Clear All File Explorer Search History using a BAT file
    EXAMPLE: Search history in File Explorer

Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Clear Specific File Explorer Search History Suggestions
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click/tap inside the search box, then select the search suggestion (ex: *.bmp) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key. (see screenshot below)

3. The search suggestion will now be deleted. (see screenshot below)

4. Repeat step 2 above if you would like to delete another specific search suggestion.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Clear All File Explorer Search History in Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click/tap inside the search box to have the Search tab show. (see screenshot below)

3. In the Search tab, click/tap on Recent searches, and click/tap on Clear search history in the drop down menu.

*note If Recent searches is grayed out, then you do not have any search history to clear.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Clear All File Explorer Search History using a BAT file
    *note The downloadable .bat file in this option contains the command below that will delete these items to clear the File Explorer Search history for your account.

REG Delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WordWheelQuery /VA /F

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

Download
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .bat file.

4. Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Yasak Hayat, Dec 14, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how do i clear the search history on this computer

Hi DMII, that depends on the exact search history you want to clear . . .

If you mean search History in File Explorer or on your Task bar:

Open File Explorer.

Click inside the search box to have the Search tab show

In the Search tab, click on Recent searches, and click on Clear search history in the drop down menu

If you mean your web search history, each browser is different - which browser are you using?

DaveM121, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Clearing history on my search page

Hello,

Do you want to clear the search history in File Explorer or Microsoft Edge? If you want to clear the search history in File Explorer, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer, click on the View tab, and click on
      Options in the ribbon.
    • Select Change folder and search options.
    • In the General tab, under Privacy, click on the
      Clear button for Clear File Explorer history.

If you want to delete the search history in Edge, you may refer to the following link: View and delete browser history in
    Microsoft Edge

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Dec 14, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

Thank you Yasak. Added as OPTION TWO. *Smile

Brink, Dec 14, 2015
Thema:

Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

1. Clear Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Clear Search History

2. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  3. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  4. clear history search \ windows 10 not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clear history search \ windows 10 not working: Hello It is here in the photo clear search device history Not working it seems to me as if it was disabled ! Is there another way to delete the history search in windows 10 The way shown in the photo below is not working I tried it than hundred time and every time I write...
  5. file explorer search history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search history: Since the last cumulative update I think both Win11 computers I have no longer have the search history popping up in the search boxes for any file explorer window. every time I'm moving from folder to folder to look for something I have to retype the search term and it's a...
  6. Clear Search History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clear Search History: I don't mean Bing or Google. I refer to the word search from within File History. In the upper right corner. As I remember, I used to be able to hover over an item in the drop down list and hit the Delete key....
  7. How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I clear the Search History in File Explorer?: How do I clear the Search "history" in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clear-the-search-history-in-file-explorer/b4ff9c91-f943-4683-b936-df61dab5ecb4"
  8. clearing search history not clearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    clearing search history not clearing: I have tried the *** under history I still have search data. I have tried logging onto Microsoft to clear but the history still remains How do I clear this search history and keep it from storing?...
  9. File explorer search history is not clearing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer search history is not clearing: Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums...
  10. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10: How to: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 How to Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 Clearing File Explorer history deletes the information Windows saved about the files and folders you use as well as what you've typed...