Windows 10: Clear up AppData folder/s

Discus and support Clear up AppData folder/s in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Does anybody know of any application that can cross-check your registry and/or Program Files folder with the appdata folder to delete any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by deanreid, Mar 16, 2016.

1. deanreid Win User

Clear up AppData folder/s

Hi,

Does anybody know of any application that can cross-check your registry and/or Program Files folder with the appdata folder to delete any folders to programs that no longer exist on your pc.?

I have a 128GB SSD and I'm trying to get rid of alot of space because it only has 8 GB left. I've tried CCleaner but that doesn't touch the AppData folder afaik and it is currently sitting at 18GB.

Thanks *Smile

:)

deanreid, Mar 16, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 16, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Not for cross checking, but can list all folders and their size with program like Treesize free or similar.
    I bet most of files will be from MS.
    This is how mine looks:
    after that, it's easy to uninstall unwanted.

AndreTen, Mar 17, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Have you tried below command in an elevated command prompt?
    Code: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup[/quote]

6. davidhk Win User
    [/quote] A new info to me and I tried it.
    I am not sure what did it do although it said operation successful.

davidhk, Mar 17, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    It clears the winsxs folder of redundant or not needed anymore updates.

8. davidhk Win User

Thank you.
    Is there a way to see what it actually cleanup ?

davidhk, Mar 17, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    That may be, but I'm not aware of any.
    I do know how to find out how much of space is freed, but that's just an extra thing I like to know *Smile

10. davidhk Win User
    OK. I won't divert the attention that should be placed on the OP's question.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 17, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Interesting thing, that WInSxS folder likes to grow.
    Tried this command. Didn't do much. Still 5.6 GB in WinSxS folder. *Huh Not, that this is much problem to me.

But OP asked about Appdata folder.

AndreTen, Mar 17, 2016
  12. deanreid Win User
    I used the TreeSize program you recommended and managed to remove/relocate a few folders but I found this

Clear up AppData folder/s [​IMG]

does anyone know what this file does because I'm sure 25 GB isn't the size it is supposed to be. I tried to Google it but, apparently Google isn't as all knowing as I thought.

deanreid, Mar 17, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

You can reclaim almost 10GB+- using the compact command-line util. Open an elevated cmd prompt for invoking it.

E.G. compact /compactos:always
    compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\program files"\*
    compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\program files (x86)"\*
    compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\assembly"\*
    compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\inf"\*
    compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\InfusedApps"\*
    compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\fonts"\*

Do not touch anything else. Your system might not boot or something.

PS. LZX is an even stronger compression method than xpress16 (exe:lzx) but it may need some serious horsepower cpu.

eLPuSHeR, Mar 17, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    Virus definition databases can be large (I use defender and it is ~350MB) but 25GB seems way over the top- that is far more than the whole of Windows.

It is odd design (slightly suspicious even) to store data in Program Files directory but perhaps that is how Bitdefender works - I don't know. As you can see from your picture it was updated at 3AM this morning.

I'd uninstall bitdefender completely using their tool Uninstall Bitdefender , reboot, and then (assuming you are using it as your AV) install it again.

15. AndreTen Win User
    I would seek support from Bitdefender, or just reinstall their software (clean the mess in between installations).
    Nice, that you found a problem.

AndreTen, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Clear up AppData folder/s - Similar Threads - Clear AppData folder

2. AppData Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AppData Folder: I can't download some things because i accidentally deleted the AppData folder. Any ideas how to get the folder back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdata-folder/6ac62255-4077-47ca-9bb8-4b33fd688bbe
  3. AppData Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppData Folder: I can't download some things because i accidentally deleted the AppData folder. Any ideas how to get the folder back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdata-folder/6ac62255-4077-47ca-9bb8-4b33fd688bbe
  4. AppData Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I deleted a folder, but no space is clearing up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted a folder, but no space is clearing up.: Hello. I deleted this folder from modifiable windows apps because it was taking to much space on 500gb drive. I used the permanently delete option instead of the Recycle option. The problem is that no space is being cleared up at all. Do you know how to clear up the space...
  6. Deleting Folders In AppData

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting Folders In AppData: I asked this question in another subreddit already but I wanted some extra opinions just to be safe. So I uninstalled Zoom months ago because I didn’t want to use it on my laptop and I generally didn’t trust it. However, after looking through my laptops folders for other...
  7. Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder

Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder: Hello, My current job involves working with a lot of computers. A lot of those involve data transfers from an older PC to a new PC. I've always been told by everybody there to NOT transfer the AppData folder unless the client knows what they need minecraft saves, certain...
  8. an "AppData" folder problem!

an "AppData" folder problem!: Hello there, recently, i was looking in the AppData folder and it's subfolder (under my user directory) and suddenly i came across with an strange thing! I fund some folders of some old applications i used to use back in days which i uninstalled them 5 month ago and i no...
  9. username.000 folder has all appdata(s), I want only username folder to have appdata(s)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    username.000 folder has all appdata(s), I want only username folder to have appdata(s): After I updated my windows to Windows 10 1903 version, I noticed that within user folder it contains a username.000 folder which is having all the appdata as well as username folder too. But I want my all appdata to reside in username folder and I also do not want to revert...
  10. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...