Windows 10: Clearing (and restoring) Private data

Discus and support Clearing (and restoring) Private data in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I have some Questions about „cleaning“ up or removing personal/private data & configuration from a Windows 10 PC. It is about a PC that should be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MPREv, Apr 26, 2016.

1. MPREv Win User

Clearing (and restoring) Private data

Hi I have some Questions about „cleaning“ up or removing personal/private data & configuration from a Windows 10 PC.

It is about a PC that should be sent to the Vendor to get repaired.
    It is not my PC but from a friend.
    Usually in such a case I would create an image from the System and reset the OS to factory settings to wipe the data/settings.
    But this time I don’t have enough space (and will not have time for it) (Don’t need suggestions for Imaging).

The normal Data (documents, pictures …) are regularly saved / backup so not needed to be saved additionally.
    The goal would be removing / backing up the personal Data (in a fast and space saving way) to have them removed and make it possible to put them back, but not deleting /removing the installed Programs, applications and Games (Win32).

From my experience with Windows 7 or Older PCs I would also:

• Browser: backup Profile and clean it (Easy to restore)
    • Mail Program: backup Profile and clean it (Easy to restore)
    • Change User password (easy to restore)

But as for Windows 10 there are some new … implications about the

• connected Microsoft account
    • and the Apps

How to deal with them?
    How to remove / disconnect them in a way I can restore afterwards again?

:)

MPREv, Apr 26, 2016
  2. altukh9 Win User

N72 - Regarding Cleaning of History files in Opera browser

go to options and then go to tools there u will find clear private data.u can clear cookies,cache and history in private data

altukh9, Apr 26, 2016
  3. How to clear search history on nokia N9

Hi PORF,

Clear private data

Select
    Clearing (and restoring) Private data [​IMG]
    and Applications > Web > Clear private data.

Clearing private data clears your cache, cookies, and browsing history.

Hope this helps,

haZey

haZey---01, Apr 26, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Really - easiest thing to do is simply make an image backup despite your objection above, reset your PC, then restore image when you get PC back. This 100% guarantees you have got rid of personal data, and everything is backed up.

Use a good tool like Macrium Reflect Free to do image backup.

Really no point in shagging around with other solutions.

Even easier option is too simply remove HDD, and clean install 10 on another hdd if you have an old spare one.

cereberus, Apr 26, 2016
  5. Install Rollback Rx Home Edition (Make sure it's the Home Edition as that's the free one), take a snapshot of your system, delete/change what you need, take another snapshot. When they're done just revert back to the 1st snapshot.

Also, this isn't like disk imaging, so you won't have the massive time suck or financial investment.

Good Luck!

HanginJang, Apr 26, 2016
  6. MPREv Win User
    Thanks for the answers, but as mentioned a solution Like a Image Backup is simply not wanted/needed *Smile

MPREv, Apr 26, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    Are there any personal changes made with the Microsoft account and apps?

Changes made in apps may not come back while restoring.
    With the Microsoft account, a lot is synchronized, most things should restore as you may be aware of.

8. MPREv Win User

not so much, chsnges,
    but within that account there are many Win32 Applications installed with (as it is the Only account) ... (nothing personal).
    But I would like to keep all ...

Is there a way to disconnect account from MS?

Also there is the Mail App ...
    I don't know what is the best way of backing up -> cleaning -> restoring it ... -->? *Smile

MPREv, May 1, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    In the settings, click 'Account', click 'Sign in with a local account instead'.

The mail app is a synced app, there shouldn't be a thing to do to restore the data except for logging in again.

axe0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clearing (and restoring) Private data - Similar Threads - Clearing restoring Private

2. Restore data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore data: Hi, someone completed a factory reset on my business computer in error. I seem to have lost all my data and files. I really need to get everything back to how it was prior to the factory reset. Windows is in the process of resintalling. Is there anyway I can do this? If so,...
  3. Restore data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore data: Hi, someone completed a factory reset on my business computer in error. I seem to have lost all my data and files. I really need to get everything back to how it was prior to the factory reset. Windows is in the process of resintalling. Is there anyway I can do this? If so,...
  4. Restore data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clearing files and personal data on shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clearing files and personal data on shutdown: I work with a charity who are setting up laptops for clients to use in house. They will be shared laptops so I am conscious of clients using and storing personal data in them. I was going to just create a desktop background with warnings to prevent this but a colleague said...
  6. Clearing files and personal data on shutdown

Clearing files and personal data on shutdown: I work with a charity who are setting up laptops for clients to use in house. They will be shared laptops so I am conscious of clients using and storing personal data in them. I was going to just create a desktop background with warnings to prevent this but a colleague said...
  7. Data restoring

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data restoring: Can i restore my data after a boot error code 0xc000014c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-restoring/dab64e91-675b-4ed6-a0e1-2a1032e3a5af
  8. Browsing Data Slow to Clear in Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Browsing Data Slow to Clear in Edge.: I have updated to Win V. 1903. Since the update it takes ages for Browsing Data to clear in Edge. Prior to the update it used to clear almost as soon as I clicked the button. Any thoughts please? 133872
  9. Automatic update cleared data

Automatic update cleared data: I was on my brand new (2/11/2019) Lenovo laptop working with a 3rd party app. I had saved may work many times over 4 hours. I paused to take a phone call, but did hit save in my program. After 45 minutes I turned back to continue on my project and the screen was light blue...
  10. Clearing Voice Data

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clearing Voice Data: I have been trying to clear/delete voice data in Microsoft for the last week and keep getting the same error response: Clearing your voice data Something went wrong and we weren’t able to clear the data. Waiting a bit might help.Try again I get the same response whether...