Windows 10: Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

Discus and support Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys, I know I had been overwhelming here with all my BitLocker and TPM related questions, but hopefully this should be my final concerns. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

Hi guys,

I know I had been overwhelming here with all my BitLocker and TPM related questions, but hopefully this should be my final concerns.

I have BitLocker full encryption enabled on my HDD.

1. Recently, I had this issue when going to the TPM.msc console and noticed under Status that the TPM is ready for use with reduced functionality This had been resolved by Clearing the TPM in the TPM.MSC console directly. Source: View status, clear, or troubleshoot the TPM (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

2. Here is my concern. How come after clearing the TPM and after restarting my laptop, BitLocker did NOT prompt me for my Recovery key? That seemed to be very odd. So in other words, looks like Clearing the TPM did not actually clear the BitLocker Recover key. I dont know.

So by Clearing the TPM, BitLocker will not loose the keys?
    It seemed so after Clearing the TPM and rebooting my machine, BitLocker did not ask for a Recovery key.

I also checked to ensure that the key was still intact, and yes it is, by performing the manage-bde C: -protectors -get -type RecoveryPassword command.

In addition, I also checked manage-bde -status and all indicators are fine.

:)

win10freak, Mar 11, 2018
  2. Mr_Cohen Win User

BitLocker On TPM ver 2.0

Hey all.

I hope that i'm asking this at the right area of this Forum.

I have a DELL Latitude 5480 with Win10 pro on it.

After enabling BitLocker, BitLocker asking for a recovery key on every reboot.

I've found that BitLocker cannot work properly with TPM ver 2.0, (Dell Latitude 5480 comes with TPM version 2.0).

After downgrading TPM, from ver 2.0 to ver 1.2, BitLocker works smoothly.

Any solution for BitLocker on TPM ver2.0?

Thank in advance.

Mr_Cohen, Mar 11, 2018
  3. BitLocker Recovery Key request

Hi Harry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the concern you are facing.

I would like to inform that once the Bitlocker is enabled, the system will ask for the recovery Pin every time it is
    switched on or restarted. The only way to disable this is by disabling the Bitlocker.

When you use BitLocker Drive Encryption, you need a BitLocker Drive Encryption startup key or personal identification number (PIN) to start your computer.

BitLocker stores its own encryption and decryption keys in a hardware device called the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) security hardware, which is a special microchip in some newer computers that supports advanced security features. The keys are not stored
    on the computer’s hard disk. The TPM must be accessible by the basic input/output system (BIOS) during startup. When you start your computer, BitLocker will get these keys from the TPM automatically.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 11, 2018
  4. Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what MS means by "reduced functionality."

What caused the TPM to enter the "reduced functionality" state? I assume it must have been "ready" in the past otherwise you wouldn't be able to enable Bitlocker.

PolarNettles, Mar 12, 2018
  5. Well, this all started when I was checking if my TPM was made either from Infineon or by some other vendor due to the recent Infineon TPM chip security vulnerability so this got my attention.

Anyways, maybe someone has other inputs on this.
    As long as the status indicated that my HDD is encrypted, I am not worried.

One other final question.
    In case I need to reinstall Windows 10, do I need to Clear the TPM before doing so or its not needed?

win10freak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

1. Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart - Similar Threads - Clearing TPM did

2. Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart: Hi There,I am using Windows surface 6 pro, today morning when i was trying to start my notebook, it asked for repair, when i start the repair it says unable to repair please reset your machine,When i try to do it was asking my bitlocker key i given and success. but its not...
  3. Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker - recovery key on every restart: Hi There,I am using Windows surface 6 pro, today morning when i was trying to start my notebook, it asked for repair, when i start the repair it says unable to repair please reset your machine,When i try to do it was asking my bitlocker key i given and success. but its not...
  4. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  5. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  6. Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key

Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key: Hi. I had to remove the internal battery from my laptop. Now when I boot up the laptop it goes to a blue screen asking for me to enter the Bitlocker Recovery Key. I do not have this key. When I purchased this laptop everything was already set up and working. I read now that...
  7. TPM - Clearing the TPM and restarting still has "clear TPM" highlight

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    TPM - Clearing the TPM and restarting still has "clear TPM" highlight: Lenovo Yoga Laptop Windows 10 - Build 17134 Cleared all BIOS settings and supervisor password. Log in with local admin account. open TPM.MSC Click "clear TPM". no errors or anything pop up. Press F9 when the PC restarts to clear the TPM. Once the machine reboots, I...
  8. windows 10 hungs in recovery mode when asked to clear TPM

windows 10 hungs in recovery mode when asked to clear TPM: Hi I need help to restore my windows 10. I reformat my HP laptop using windows recovery and follow the step by step to clear everything on my laptop and when it asked me to clear TPM I selected F1 to clear it and after pressing this the screen shows processing with the...
  9. WD keeps asking for restart to clear TPM module

WD keeps asking for restart to clear TPM module: Hi folks I'm geeting incessant nags from WD to restart to clear TPM module --when I do a restart and clear the TPM it still keeps nagging Any ideas on latest W10 version and update PC is HP Envy. Intel I5 Cheers jimbo 113466
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to use tpm bitlocker on a remote access when you can see the display screen

2. im recovering my files from a recovery drive. do i clear tpm or not?

3. clearing tpm did not ask for bitlocker keys