Windows 10: Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window

Discus and support Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having trouble removing this feature. I do not want the behavior. When I click on a drive or folder in File Explorer's navigation pane a new window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WinTenUser, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window

Having trouble removing this feature. I do not want the behavior.
    When I click on a drive or folder in File Explorer's navigation pane a new window opens up. I would like to see the contents of a drive or folder in the right pane of the existing window and not to open it in a separate window.
    How might I fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help

:)

WinTenUser, Mar 16, 2017
  2. Phil Saul Win User

Can't view the sub folders through Navigation Pane

Original title:- File Explorer, Windows 10

In W10, the subfolders in the Navigation Pane don't show when you open a folder from the Navigation Pane like they did in W7. So to move a file or folder to a different location or subfolder, one has to go back to the Navigation Pane and click on the arrows
    to open down to the desired subfolder. It does prevent cluttering of the Nav Pane, but requires a lot of work if the desired folder is deeply embedded.

Phil

Phil Saul, Mar 16, 2017
  3. JamesJoey Win User
    Mail App's Navigation Pane Won't Stay Minimized

The Windows mail app's navigation pane won't stay minimized.

I'll click the 3 lines at the top and it minimizes but when I reopen the mail app the nav pane is open.

Any ideas?

James

JamesJoey, Mar 16, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window

I actually want that feature, as I like to have windows side by side for comparison and for easy move or copy. But I have to hit 'ctrl'+folder in nav pane to open due to having QTTabbar installed. Otherwise, will do what you want and open in same window on R. Not sure why you open in new window with just a click in nav pane on L. Did you check 'Folder Options' ?

Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 16, 2017
  5. The folder options you mention is checked as in the picture.
    Note: I have one program installed called Ultimate Windows Tweaker v4.2.2, downloaded from this site.
    From this programs under Custimizations > File Explorer, the checkbox titled "Launch Folders in A Separate Process" is unchecked. Perhaps this program might offer help to you mrgeek. At this point I am at a loss.

If UWT v4.2.2 has a way of saving the current settings to a file, I'd save it and use the "reset defaults" option to see what happens. Not sure it does though.

UPDATE: The program Ultimate Windows Tweaker v4.2.2 was NOT downloaded from this site, but rather from the following site: Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10

WinTenUser, Mar 17, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Perhaps this program might offer help to you .

I have this exactly the way I want, opening a folder in the NavPan in a new window whenever I wish, with a ctrl+click, rather than one way or the other all the time. Besides QTTabbar, I also use Classic Shell (the developer is a member here) which has a huge number of tweaks but when you hover the mouse over a change, a dialogue opens telling you exactly what will change.
    The default OS behavior is that when you click a folder in the NavPanel on L, the contents open on R so you need to see if there's a deeper setting in UWT that may have affected this. You might also see if UWT has a settings backup cached in the hidden C:\Users\AppData\Local or see if disabling the process at startup for testing will help your diagnostic. Good Luck and if you find a fix post back.

mrgeek, Mar 18, 2017
  7. Ultimately, what matters, I believe, is what's in the registry for that action. I altered the registry to suit both conditions and it made no difference, clicking on drive/folder opens on new window, cluttering the desktop with all sorts of windows.

Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window [​IMG]

I really need some expert on this issue. (Not to demean the help I've gotten thus far)

WinTenUser, Mar 18, 2017
  8. Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window

I'm going to trash this install as there seems to be a number of unexplained issues that keep persisting. The "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" used here has been used on 2-3 other computer I have had with no adverse effects. I am opting for a clean install as it seems this will be the quickest way, hopefully, to resolve the issues.

WinTenUser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window

1. Clicking in Nav pane in file exlorer opens new window - Similar Threads - Clicking Nav pane

2. Reading Pane Nav Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading Pane Nav Bar: Within file explorer you can activate the Preview Pane, something that sometimes is missing from the Reading Pane is the navigational bar that allows you to manipulate the PDF in file explorer without having to open the PDF. I am trying to find out how to get this navigation...
  3. Reading Pane Nav Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading Pane Nav Bar: Within file explorer you can activate the Preview Pane, something that sometimes is missing from the Reading Pane is the navigational bar that allows you to manipulate the PDF in file explorer without having to open the PDF. I am trying to find out how to get this navigation...
  4. Nav pane registry settings changed in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nav pane registry settings changed in windows 10?: I had been using these registry settings to activate the navigation pane on and off in different versions of windows 10 without any issues.Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00Turn nav pane...
  5. Nav pane registry settings changed in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nav pane registry settings changed in windows 10?: I had been using these registry settings to activate the navigation pane on and off in different versions of windows 10 without any issues.Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00Turn nav pane...
  6. Nav pane registry settings changed in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. File exlorer doesn't work !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File exlorer doesn't work !: Every time that i try to open something in my file explorer, i just see a blue circle and nothing else, even if i wait more than 10min it change nothing, i have tried restarting the pc but it does nothing, i don't know what to do please help me. sorry if it's bad im not...
  8. Windows 10 File Exlorer can't find files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Exlorer can't find files: File Exlorer can't find files after renaming their folders. The only remedy seems start indexing all over again - but that can't be the solution. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-exlorer-cant-find-files/dc68195a-d375-4259-876a-b20557c53b55
  9. The new update for the dark file exlorer is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    The new update for the dark file exlorer is not working: i have updated my computer to the latest version. i still am unable to change my file explorer to dark theme. my roommate is able to change his files explorer but i am unable....
  10. Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane: I have noticed a GUI issue with File Explorer that is intermittent. It seems to appear at some times, then a Windows update fixes it, then it comes back in another update. The symptom is a long delay when copying files from one File Explorer window to another. What...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clicking on navigation pane opens navigation window pane win7