Windows 10: Clicking on a exe starts the program in the background processes.

Discus and support Clicking on a exe starts the program in the background processes. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'll try to be short, since it's strange and hard to explain. Had windows 8.1, upgraded to Windows 10, everything normal. After a few months,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Vidiks, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Vidiks Win User

Clicking on a exe starts the program in the background processes.

Hi, I'll try to be short, since it's strange and hard to explain.

Had windows 8.1, upgraded to Windows 10, everything normal.
    After a few months, one program I use for a long time started giving me problems - plays.tv.
    It''s a client app that allows recording of in-game footage for gamers. The problem I started experiencing was that whenever I clicked the shortcut or the exe of plays.tv, instead of opening the program window, nothing would happend. Upon clicking again after a while, I would get the usual "The program is already running". So, checking the task manager I could see there was indeed a process open for it. But nothing I could do would make it show up, there's not even an icon in the task bar. So, only solution would be to end the process in the task manager and restart again. Usually at the second attempt it starts normally. Not always.
    Now, this problem started hapening rarely, to occasionally, to frequently, to always. And soon, it was affecting also another program, also related to video recording - OBS Studio. They didn't start at the same time, OBS just started more recently. Contacted support for plays.tv, they never seen anything like it.
    Now, the most recent windows update changed the display a bit for the the task manager. So now when that happends, I can clearly see that the processes are indeed running in the task manager, but not in the apps tab where they were supposed to be, the process will be in the background processes instead.

The pic I sent, shows the program open, and in the task manager everything working normally where it should be. The problem I have makes the program(plays.tv) not open, and in the task manager the process instead of being on top in the "Aplicações" (Apps) tab as the pic shows, would be in the lower section "Processos em Segundo Plano" (Background Processes), and completely unresponsive and dead in the water.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Vidiks, Oct 5, 2016
  2. RTollison Win User

Windows 7 64-bit and now Windows 10 64-bit Double Clicking a file to open in a win32 app spawns multiple background running apps

I have files that have the .cbl extension. when i click on it to open it, it normally open up in an editor program CW32.exe (codewright). If I reboot it works like normal for a while then for some unknown reason it starts spawning a background program for
    CW32.exe even thought the .cbl file that I am editing is in the main process program that I am wanting to open the .cbl file in.

If i close down cw32.exe the background(windows 10 task manager view) cw32.exe stay open.

Once it starts spawning the background cw32.exe it seems to always happen from that point on.

Some days i will open 50 or so of the .cbl files and if I forget to check if those background processes are running i will find at the end of the week about 200-250 of them.

1) Reboot until it starts happening again

2) Run a batch file that kills off all the cw32.exe running processes.

RTollison, Oct 5, 2016
  3. Processes in the background.

It's the Live tiles I bet, on Start screen

I'm new Win10.. and same thing, all of the search engines so slow, knew something was messed up... like you saw, went to Task Manager, and saw all those processes like you.

I had the "Weather" tile on the start screen, and thought how I stop it from being 'active' so did a

Right Click on Tile

and it has a

Turn Off Live Tile

so clicked on that.

Then I right clicked on other apps and so many of them were set to "Live Tile" and running processes! Like the Calendar, and Alarm Clock, Amazon, News, etc etc... I went through all of them and "Stopped" them.

Did a Restart (I just usually do) and then Search Engines functioned normal

ps... it is so crazy for all of that processing of dormant tiles you haven't even clicked on. And there's nothing obvious in Control Panel that says "Turn Off Live Tiles" (or Turn on) ...

alwayssomething(4}, Oct 5, 2016
Thema:

Clicking on a exe starts the program in the background processes.

1. Clicking on a exe starts the program in the background processes. - Similar Threads - Clicking exe starts

2. one program open only as background processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one program open only as background processes: I have same problem as here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-programs-only-open-as-background-processes/556f3615-aa6e-4416-94a9-e59fe938db7bBut only with one program, Aerosoft Launcher.I didnt had problem when I used first new pc with Windows10, but...
  3. Program Opening Only As Background Process

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Opening Only As Background Process: I have been having this issue for nearly two years now, but I have only sought to remedy it recently. When I attempt to run certain apps, the cursor shows as "Working in Background", signifying that the app is starting up, yet the app never progresses past being a background...
  4. I broke "Start" background process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I broke "Start" background process: So, i didnt know that start was needed to keep my windows menu working..... i thought it was apart of sandboxie and didnt vanish when i uninstalled it, so i edited the permissions of the folder took ownership and tried to delete it but failed, now it wont work at all and i...
  5. Start an exe program in FreeDOS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start an exe program in FreeDOS?: Hello all together just trying to reinstall windows in FreeDos from my sticker. Is it even possible to start the setup.exe or do I have to look for another way? Do I have to drag extra files onto the stick or is there a possibility? Picture as attachment...
  6. "Start" background process in Task Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Start" background process in Task Manager: Can someone tell what is this background process called "Start", it keeps popping up every time I end it... is it safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-background-process-in-task-manager/1702dbe8-3afe-4be3-a426-5d9ae347d506"
  7. Programs restarting in background processes of task manager

Programs restarting in background processes of task manager: I have many programs restart in the background processes of task manager. I close them out, and after a while they are there again. I do not know why these programs are running in the background, and why they are returning. These are some of them that keep coming back...
  8. WinTV program started running as a 'Background Process' instead of as an 'App' after a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinTV program started running as a 'Background Process' instead of as an 'App' after a...: I use Hauppauge WinTV hardware and software to watch and record TV on my Windows 10 Dell XPS 410 desktop. After a system freeze and hard reboot, the WinTV software no longer launches correctly. When I attempt to launch the application, the program startup display flashes on...
  9. Some Programs Only Open as Background Processes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some Programs Only Open as Background Processes: I've recently been having a problem opening certain programs properly on Windows 10. For over a month, some programs that I used to use perfectly fine before have now started to not open anything when I click on them. Regardless of whether I open them from the File Explorer...
  10. Program or background process popup keeps appearing

Program or background process popup keeps appearing: For days I've been getting this popup window on my Windows 10 Build 1803 computer: "The program or a background process quit unexpectedly. Would you like to send information to a developer?" It occurs intermittently, often every 5-10 minutes, and is EXTREMELY annoying. When...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. program starts in the background