Windows 10: Clicking on a file starts MS Office App, but doesn't open the file

Discus and support Clicking on a file starts MS Office App, but doesn't open the file in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When I attempt to open an Office 2013 document, the correct app starts with a blank document instead of the document I clicked on. If I attempt to open... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by mfaklis, Dec 27, 2017.

1. mfaklis Win User

Clicking on a file starts MS Office App, but doesn't open the file

When I attempt to open an Office 2013 document, the correct app starts with a blank document instead of the document I clicked on. If I attempt to open the document within the office app (File > Open), I get a blank document. I have done an Office 2013 repair, re-associated by file-type, and re-associated by application. The correct office app icons appear in Explorer.

This problem is with all Office 2013 applications, except Outlook. The problem does not appear with non-office file-types or apps, for example; clicking on a PDF file opens adobe reader with that file.

:)

mfaklis, Dec 27, 2017

2. Can't Remove File From Application Quick Access

Win 10, MS Office 2010

I have pinned several MS Office apps to the start menu (my particular problem is with Excel but I suspect that this is irrelevant) and have pinned several files to the app's MRU list.

When I right-click on the app's tile, I get a list of recently used and pinned files, as expected. One particular pinned file exists and opens successfully if I left-click it. However, I cannot unpin it. Right-clicking on the file offers an "Unpin from
    this list" option but it does nothing. I have renamed the file and forced Windows to recognize that it doesn't exist; Windows then offers the chance to delete the entry but it still doesn't remove the link from the apps MRU list.

How can I remove this file link without removing all of the other pinned and MRU file links?

Geeked at Birth, Dec 27, 2017
  3. locate files on sd card

Don't have a device with a slot, but am interested in how this comes out. In Office there is a pane called Places which lists phone, SkyDrive, etc. Wouldn't by chance be a reference to the SD card there? Do you have PDF Reader installed (the MS app)? It
    doesn't recognize files on the card?

With the file system being the way it is, it would be incumbant on the various apps to understand what they can open, and go look for files of that type. There isn't the concept of opening a file manager, clicking a file, and launching the appropriate application.
    So I would think Office would look for Office files, PDF Reader would hunt down pdfs.

Sven Johannsen, Dec 27, 2017
  4. tchagas Win User

Type in the run Winword /safe then try to open your file

tchagas, Dec 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Clicking on a file starts MS Office App, but doesn't open the file - Similar Threads - Clicking file starts

2. Recently opened files do not show when right-click MS Office icons in the Taskbar or Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recently opened files do not show when right-click MS Office icons in the Taskbar or Start Menu: Sometime in the last couple months, Word stopped updating the list of recently opened files shown when I right click the icon in the taskbar. It showed only 3 files that I had not opened in a long time. I right clicked on each of those 3 files and selected "Remove from this...
  3. Double click doesn't open files associated with apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double click doesn't open files associated with apps: Cannot figure out what has happened. I have Win 10 Pro ver 2004 OS-19041.685. A simple text file .txt will not open with Notepad after a double-click. I have to start Notepad, browse the file, and first then it can be opened. The same problem occurs with other associated...
  4. File Explorer Not Responding with MS Office Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Responding with MS Office Files: Every time I open File Explorer Windows 10, version 20H2, OS build 19042.630, it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word, Excel or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just...
  5. Why doesn't rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" open the...

Why doesn't rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" open the...: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  6. Unable to Open older MS Office files

Unable to Open older MS Office files: Some of my older MS Office files now have a "gray X" in their document icon. I cannot open those files now. No error message. What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-older-ms-office-files/31c1afd0-c379-4fef-a957-5456f25a2d5d"
  7. Indexing MS office files without MS office installed

Indexing MS office files without MS office installed: I need to have MS office files indexed a computer that does not have MS office installed. what tool do i need to install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/indexing-ms-office-files-without-ms-office/1d5b5dfb-3a90-48f7-8d21-535777e4fe89"
  8. Explorer crashes after right clicking on MS Office files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes after right clicking on MS Office files.: Hello, I have a problem on my new HP laptop. Every time when I right-click on a MS Office file, explorer.exe crashes. It is important to note that this happens only with "new" file extension (happens for .xlsx but not for .xls). But I can open them when browsing from Excel...
  9. Office Apps Slow to Open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office Apps Slow to Open Files: Office 2013 installed on my Windows 10 machine. This was upgraded from Windows 7. Office apps, specifically word and excel take a long time to open. What could be the issue? 10828
  10. Double click doesn't open htm/html files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click doesn't open htm/html files: Hi, in my new Hp EliteBook 850 G4, I've a very strange issue. I can't try a restore, since company gave me it after configurating it and updating to the last version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Windows Update, and the issue was from the beginning. I've Microsoft Edge,...