Windows 10: Clicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu

Discus and support Clicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says, when I try to open a specific app (Plex), it opens that one plus another one (iTunes). I've tried reorganizing the tiles, removing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pivlit2, Sep 7, 2015.

1. pivlit2 Win User

Clicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu

As the title says, when I try to open a specific app (Plex), it opens that one plus another one (iTunes). I've tried reorganizing the tiles, removing them then pinning them back again but it still happens. I made sure I have the latest updates installed. Has anybody else run into this?

:)

pivlit2, Sep 7, 2015
  2. RDrewD2 Win User

How to create non-desktop shortcuts to files in Windows 10? (Favorites Bar or Start Menu)

SA:

Here's how I add program (or file) shortcuts to my start menu:

Open your start menu, and click the all apps icon to open the list. Right click any program on that list (that isn't a windows accessory), click "more", then click "open file location". That will open an explorer window with the path:

OS(CClicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu :)/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/StartMenu/Programs

Leave that window open. Open a new file explorer window and navigate to the program or file you want to create the shortcut to. Right click the program or file and click "create shortcut" (doesn't matter if the shortcut appears in that same folder or desktop
    for the moment). Now just grab, drag, and drop that new shortcut into the open explorer window shown in bold above, and look to make sure it got added to the bottom of that list. Close those two explorer windows, and now that program or file will appear
    on your start menu in the all apps list. To make it a tile, then just grab, drag, and drop it from the all apps list into your start menu tiles field. Now you've got a start menu shortcut instead of another desktop icon.

RDrewD2, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Windows Start menu not opening (another one)

Hi,

One of the primary cause of corruption is 3rd party antivirus though other

startup programs are also suspect. Even programs that seldom run can

cause issues - if you have ANY registry cleaners or system optimizers please

uninstall them! Think of them as snake-oil which is more likely to cause

issues while fixing nothing (though they claim to do so).

If you had a 3rd party antivirus on the OS you upgraded OR if you have one

now uninstall it and then run its maker's removal tool. Use Windows Defender

which in Windows 8/8.1/10 is a full antivirus. Despite all the hype out there

Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall are true superstars.

List of anti-malware program cleanup/uninstall tools

List of anti-malware product removal tools

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus software

--------------------------------------------------

Right Click the start button - Command Prompt (Admin) - at the prompt type in

MSCONFIG

and hit enter

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Windows 10 is essentially the same

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

=============================

Check Ruth Buruga's reply in this this thread :

After upgrading to windows 10

More methods you should use :

Windows Key + X - Command Prompt (Admin)

SFC /scannow

Note if that shows uncorrected errors - continue regardless.

When that completes run these :

DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Note if that shows any uncorrected errors - continue regardless.

Then restart the computer.

Be sure you are running the latest available BIOS and drivers.

Check with System Maker (Motherboard Maker for custom systems) for updates

to the BIOS, low level chipset drivers, and the major on-board and separate device

drivers. Run DriverView - set VIEW to Hide Microsoft drivers - update those without

Dump in their name.

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded

on your system. For each driver in the list, additional useful information is

displayed: load address of the driver, description, version, product name,

company that created the driver, and more.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the

most current. Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down

the make and complete model of your video adapter - double click - Driver's

tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate Driver (this may not do

anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall -

REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard

if 3rd party with their own software and drivers and any other major device drivers

you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and

then Device Maker's site (Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their

latest versions. (Look for BIOS, Chipset, and software updates at System Maker's

site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN -

REBOOT after each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are

installing actually shows up. This is because some drivers rollback before the

latest is installed (sound drivers particularly do this) so install a driver - reboot

- check to be sure it is installed and repeat as needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER -

heck manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.

How to Find and Download Drivers

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 7, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Check to make sure that Plex has all of the correct file associations. Also check on the Plex forums to see if anyone else is having this same issue.

bro67, Sep 7, 2015
  5. pivlit2 Win User
    Sorry, how do I check the file associations?

pivlit2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Clicking app opens

2. Is there a way to view all apps in the start menu with one click?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to view all apps in the start menu with one click?: I want to be able to see all apps in a list when I FIRST open the start menu ins Windows 11 like I did in WIndows 10. However, I see no instruction for that. Is it possible? IF the community does not know, how so I contact a PERSON in Support; every time I click on "contact...
  3. Is there a way to view all apps in the start menu with one click?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to view all apps in the start menu with one click?: I want to be able to see all apps in a list when I FIRST open the start menu ins Windows 11 like I did in WIndows 10. However, I see no instruction for that. Is it possible? IF the community does not know, how so I contact a PERSON in Support; every time I click on "contact...
  4. Open taskbar app previews on click instead of mouseover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open taskbar app previews on click instead of mouseover: Hi everyone, I think I stumbled upon some kind of malfunctioning and it's bugging me to the point I had to open a question.I work with a lot of different instances opened for the same program, usually browsers, but also IDEs and some other stuff. When I want to switch from an...
  5. Open taskbar app previews on click instead of mouseover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open taskbar app previews on click instead of mouseover: Hi everyone, I think I stumbled upon some kind of malfunctioning and it's bugging me to the point I had to open a question.I work with a lot of different instances opened for the same program, usually browsers, but also IDEs and some other stuff. When I want to switch from an...
  6. Can not click on or open start menu and other apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can not click on or open start menu and other apps: I have a windows 10pc and I am having an intermittent issue where I am unable to click on certain shortcuts. I will try to click the start menu and it’s colour changes when i click, but it doesn’t open, same with file explorer and some desktop apps. If I use the keyboard to...
  7. Why doesn't rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" open the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why doesn't rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" open the...: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  8. Start Menu Stays Open After Clicking App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Stays Open After Clicking App: Yo Xperts, Since the New Edge, the Start Menu Stays up after starting a selection? A new bug or is there a new option - Please do not offer SFC or check for updates. Thx, Joe...
  9. Can't Click on Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Click on Start Menu Apps: When I open the start menu and try to search for something/click on something it doesn't do anything. After restarting, sometimes it doesn't even let me click on the windows button at all (I can still open it with the windows key.) I've seen a lot of threads on this but...
  10. Can't ctrl+click on apps in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't ctrl+click on apps in the start menu: It worked on windows 8.1 but after upgrading to 10 it doesn't work anymore. When I try to select several apps using ctrl+click the first app I click on starts and it doesn't even get marked. How do I fix this? I have tried with both my ctrl-buttons and I know they work...