Windows 10: Clicking Start Button does nothing

Discus and support Clicking Start Button does nothing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Win10 Home 64 bit computer was working correctly yesterday. Today there was one notification which just showed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vivski, Aug 14, 2015.

1. vivski Win User

Clicking Start Button does nothing

My Win10 Home 64 bit computer was working correctly yesterday. Today there was one notification which just showed 'windows.immersivecontrolpanel-cw5n1h2xyewy! microsoft.windows.it', although I am not sure if the last part was something like 'immersive' as the last character looked strange, so could have been part of a letter.

At the same time I had update KB3081438 which required a restart, so I powered down as usual, rather than restarting, waited 20secs and then started up again. Now clicking the start button does nothing except that the icon changes colour. In addition I had Settings pinned to the task bar and now there is just a space where it used to be. I can click on the messages icon in the tray on the right and open Settings that way, but it is quite slow to respond. I have also noticed that a couple of other icons are missing, but there is a space where they used to be.

I did a System Restore to a restore point created yesterday but all that did was mess up Office 2016 which I had to do a repair on. Quick Repair did not solve the problem but the full repair did, although it was a bit of a struggle to get Office to reconnect to my account as it did not like my MS Passport login, and did not accept the key I copied from MSs website. Bizarre!

Does anyone have any suggestion how to get the Start Button to work again, or do I have to do a Reset and will that cause me any problems with installed software?

Viv

:)

vivski, Aug 14, 2015

2. Clicking Start Button does nothing

Downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and went thru initial settings and left click on start button worked fine. Before I shut down I launched Excel 2007 and at this time the laptop froze. Since rebooting left click of Start Button does nothing. Came across a
    Geek House post suggesting

1. Go to run (Windows + r)

2. type regedit and press enter.

3. click ok when notification window prompt.

4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance

5. Create a Dword with name ‘EnableXamlStartMenu’.

6. Give it value 0

7. Log off and login again.

Started doing this but did not know if Dword (32) or (64) so stopped (I am on a 4yr? old ASUS laptop) and really would like to know this is the best approach before doing above. sfc /scannow revealed nothing.

stevepping, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Clicking Start Button does nothing

This has happened to me several times in the last week. There are 'solutions' you can google involving powershell scripts to reinstall the windows store apps. I never found them to solve the problem. IME, user profile corruption has been the culprit. I would suggest creating a new user, sign in, and see if the start menu is working for that new user. If it is, then probably your other users profiles are corrupted. Rebuilding your user profile will probably be less of a hassle than a reset.

claytoncarney, Aug 15, 2015
  5. vivski Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that tomorrow, when my brain is fresh.

Viv

vivski, Aug 15, 2015
  6. vivski Win User
    For some reason the new User I created did not appear when I rebooted, nor was it shown when I went back into settings. As I was having more and more problems I decided that the only solution was a clean install. I have nearly finished putting all of my software back on now so hope that I do not get any more problems.

vivski, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Unfortunately, been there, done that. I've done three clean installs. My strategy now is to make a system image at least once a week (or even every couple of days). That has save me a couple of times from needing to start all over.

claytoncarney, Aug 17, 2015
  8. vivski Win User

I used to do that, and if I can find out how to do it in Windows 10 then I will. Thanks for the advice.

vivski, Aug 17, 2015
  9. claytoncarney, Aug 17, 2015
  10. vivski Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried AOEMI but it decided that the system drive was both C:\ and F:\, with no way to amend that, so I have tried Macrium and this looks as if it work well, and only takes a few minutes to image my System.

Viv

vivski, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clicking Start Button does nothing - Similar Threads - Clicking Start Button

2. Clicking search does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking search does nothing: When I click on the search box beside start menu it does not do anything at all. It happens suddenly since it is working last week. It is the first time I turn on the computer this week and I noticed that the search box is not working. I check if there is any pending updates...
  3. Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens: Was having problems with taskbar items and played around and fixed them but yesterday found that when I click on the start button nothing happens. Dont know how long its been like that as dont use it often so maybe not my playing caused it. Have tried to find a solution...
  4. Windows Start button does nothing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start button does nothing: When I click on the Windows start button bottom left or if I press the windows start button key on the keyboard nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-does-nothing/26c1fa96-e807-44cb-88ae-57f60984669c
  5. Clicking Power Button in Start up Menu Does Nothing and Other Annoyances

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clicking Power Button in Start up Menu Does Nothing and Other Annoyances: For some reason, after working perfectly fine for the longest time my power button in the start menu has suddenly stopped displaying my power options. I've tried the following with no fix: sfc /scannow DISM commands Safe Boot Signing in with alternate admin user Restarts...
  6. Install Button Does Nothing

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Install Button Does Nothing: Earlier I bought Forza and tried to install it. I changed the drive from "C:" to "D:" because I didn't have enough space to store it. When I click the install button it doesn't do anything. However, when I try installing it on another drive it works fine. I've tried...
  7. Clicking Start Menu does nothing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clicking Start Menu does nothing.: Suddenly I discovered that clicking on my start menu does not work anymore. Even clicking and typing into the search does nothing, so I tried to run the "Troubleshooting" wizard, and it did not find anything. I then tried to check to see if I was missing updates on the...
  8. Right clicking on start button or Edge nothing happens.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right clicking on start button or Edge nothing happens.: About 2 weeks ago I noticed that all my bookmarks had dissappeared, then when I right click on the start menu nothing happens, now Edge won't open when I click on it on the taskbar, then today I went into my computer and my picture and documents files are gone. I have tried a...
  9. Start button left click nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button left click nothing happens: Have a Dell XPS 11. Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options. Nothing happens. There's a hamburger on the top left which will bring up the start menu, Most Used, Recently Added and File Explorer, Settings, etc. At the bottom, Power Symbol and a...
  10. Left Click on Start Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Left Click on Start Does Nothing: Windows 10 was working, then I used CCleaner to delete temporary files. Now, when I left click on Start, there is a momentary blue circle over Start indicating that the machine is busy performing a task, but nothing else happens. Right clicking on start brings up a menu of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows start button DOES NOTHING

2. clicking start button does nothing

3. Clicking Start Button does nothing on start button

4. clicking start does nothing windows 10,
  5. clicking start button does nothing windows 10,
  6. clicking on windows button does nothing,
  7. clicking windows button does nothing