Windows 10: Clock "slows down", yet is able to manually sync correctly

Discus and support Clock "slows down", yet is able to manually sync correctly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Windows clock somehow manages to get out of sync even when the computer is up and running. For example, I now synced the clock and it went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Szark, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Szark Win User

Clock "slows down", yet is able to manually sync correctly

Hello!

Windows clock somehow manages to get out of sync even when the computer is up and running. For example, I now synced the clock and it went from about 12:17 to 14:05! Usually the difference is not so big, about 5-10 minutes. It also happens when I've set the time manually. And when I shut the computer down or put it to sleep, it resumes correctly (not entirely sure though as the time is constantly showing wrong results). When manually switching off the automatic sync and then turning it back on, the system receives the correct time from time.windows.com. Yet it isn't able to sync itself correctly automatically.

The motherboard is now about six years old - it feels that I might have to change its battery. Should I go forward with that or could the problem lie elsewhere?

Edit: During posting this question (about 10 minutes), the system lost 3 minutes! This forum showed the correct time, my system did not.

:)

Szark, Sep 10, 2015

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Sep 10, 2015
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

It might well be that the CMOS battery is getting empty. Before you get a new one, you can also try the below procedure:

This issue can be caused by the Windows Time service being corrupt. You can try to take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Run the following command in an elevated command prompt: net stop w32time
    w32tm /unregister
    w32tm /register
    net start w32time
    Then, please restart the computer to test the issue again.

If any error message was received when doing these steps, please let us know.

Joergi, Sep 10, 2015
  5. Slash Win User
    Your system battery is on its way out. Get a replacement.

Slash, Sep 10, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Are you, by chance, dual booting with a Linux distro?

Cliff S, Sep 10, 2015
  7. Szark Win User
    No, I'm not. This system had a W7Pro clean install plus user-initiated W10 upgrade on the launch day.

I now tried Joergi's solution:
    Attachment 37010

I'll report if there's any improvement.

Thanks for suggestions!

Szark, Sep 11, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Have you tried changing the time sync settings from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov?

Cliff S, Sep 11, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
  10. Szark Win User
    It seems that as of now, changing the update server address from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov did solve the problem! The clock has been correct for at least 12 hours *Smile

Thanks to everyone for input!

Szark, Sep 12, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome, keep us updated please*Biggrin.

Cliff S, Sep 12, 2015
  12. Szark Win User
    So, out of nowhere, the problem has returned. I checked and the update server is still time.nist.gov (meaning Windows hasn't forced the default one).

It all still happens when the computer is running, so I'm reluctant in terms of going for a new battery, though maybe I should just do it "just in case". I've heard different opinions about whether the clock is using the CMOS battery during computer uptime or not.

Edit: I think I'm going to try the motherboard's (Gigabyte) support service also.

Szark, Sep 17, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

That's a good idea, maybe they have a new BIOS for Windows 10(although that really shouldn't effect the clock, but one never knows).

Cliff S, Sep 17, 2015
  14. Szark Win User
    Well as far as I've checked, I'm running the latest BIOS which is from 2010. But I'll try and contact them.

Szark, Sep 17, 2015
  15. Szark Win User
    Before going on with contacting the motherboard's manufacturer, I also created a simple test and found out that compared to the smartphone's stopper, the system clock lost 11 seconds during a 1 minute test period. This means that the clock is continously losing time.

Secondly, I tried to test the battery by shutting the computer down completely for the night (I forgot to pull the plug from the wall though), but during the night and during today's uptime (about 6 hours now), the system clock has been correct. So it would seem that the restart did solve the problem (and probably solved it the last time, too). It seems that something is getting in the clock's way while using the computer as usual.

I currently don't know where to look and I don't have much faith in the support line also...

Szark, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Clock "slows down", yet is able to manually sync correctly - Similar Threads - Clock slows down

2. computer clock slowing down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer clock slowing down: hey all, so. i noticed this a few weeks ago when hopping onto time.is my computer was 0.7 seconds behind, no big deal. but as the days ticked by and i hopped on the website a lot, my computer slowly got more and more desynced, and it is now 10.3 seconds behind, i have kind of...
  3. computer clock slowing down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer clock slowing down: hey all, so. i noticed this a few weeks ago when hopping onto time.is my computer was 0.7 seconds behind, no big deal. but as the days ticked by and i hopped on the website a lot, my computer slowly got more and more desynced, and it is now 10.3 seconds behind, i have kind of...
  4. Clock App Not Syncing with System Clock

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Clock App Not Syncing with System Clock: Alarm in Clock App is not synchronizing with system clock. Set alarm for 3:00 pm for Saturday on Saturday morning and alarm will sound 1 day late On Sunday. System clock is correctly set with appropriate date and time zone. System is Win 10 Pro, 21H2 Build 19044.1889, Feature...
  5. Clock App Not Syncing with System Clock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clock App Not Syncing with System Clock: Alarm in Clock App is not synchronizing with system clock. Set alarm for 3:00 pm for Saturday on Saturday morning and alarm will sound 1 day late On Sunday. System clock is correctly set with appropriate date and time zone. System is Win 10 Pro, 21H2 Build 19044.1889, Feature...
  6. Clock App Not Syncing with System Clock

7. windows clock sync.

in Windows 10 Support
    windows clock sync.: what's going on with windows clock, I've been trying to adjust it for a long time and it doesn't work.moreover I had to disable sync, because windows tried to sync and couldn't and still delayed the clock between 2 to 3 seconds. note: pc is new 2 months of use. NTP.br...
  8. Extremely slow manual sync with windows email client

Extremely slow manual sync with windows email client: Windows 10 mail has been problematic from the starting gate, but some items have been addressed like the ability to use HTML signatures. Other problems seem to have been ignored. The main problem that I'm having is when I manually sync, it takes 3 or 4 minutes to sync with...
  9. Clock not set correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clock not set correctly: Please give me a simple step by baby step of what to do to set the clock to the proper time on Window 10? It is 18 minutes fast behind . I have NEVER had this issue so I haven't dealt with it before. Can I just say please be very very specific in your answer as I am having...
  10. Clock will not sync.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clock will not sync.: I am using Windows 10 and my clock will not sync. How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clock-will-not-sync/e3b2d7c4-a891-4273-aed6-f6f864dec227