Windows 10: Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI)

Discus and support Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, When the time came to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I decided to run the upgrade then shortly afterwards, to alleviate some outstanding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by qwikpix, Apr 19, 2017.

1. qwikpix Win User

Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI)

Hi there,

When the time came to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I decided to run the upgrade then shortly afterwards, to alleviate some outstanding issues, I went ahead and did a fresh install to 10. At the time I had a spare 60Gb SSD going unused so I decided to attempt to make use of Intel's Smart Response Technology to use the SSD as a cache for my HDD. After a long time trying various methods posted online I was never able to get my SSD to work with Intel SRT. However, as part of this process I had to carry out the initial OS installation in RAID mode (although actual RAID has never been implemented).

Whilst I have made use of the SSD as ExpressCache (with limited benefit as far as I can perceive) I have now acquired a larger SSD which would be suitable as a replacement for my HDD as a main OS drive. Basically I would like to do the following:
    1. Clone the HDD to the SSD - I remember when I had Windows 7 and was looking at cloning another machine to an SSD there was something mentioned about the block size on a HDD being different to those used on an SSD and it wasn't a simple process of just cloning a HDD to SSD. Can anyone shed some light on whether this is still the case.
    2. In the process I want to drop the RAID mode, which I never used in any case, and just run in AHCI if possible. I have a feeling RAID has been responsible for some other issues and BSODs. I seem to remember this might be possible by making some tweaks in the registry but that might only be applicable to IDE>AHCI and vice versa. Again, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

qwikpix, Apr 19, 2017

2. 0xc000000e windows 10 cloned on ssd

Hi all,

I've bought a lenovo y520-15IKBN, I want to clone the windows 10 system I had on my previous PC (dell vostro 1520) on my new ssd.

i switched SATA controler mode to AHCI because i couldn't see my ssd on lenovo PC.

I made a clone using Aomei backupper pro of my dell.

I installed it on my hdd using aomei.

booted on my hdd partition, cloned the hdd system on my ssd.

I now get 0xc000000e error on each booting on hdd and ssd.

and bootrec /rebuildbcd doesn't make it !

HELP ME PLEASE !! this is driving me MAD !

AymericJOUON, Apr 19, 2017
  3. BitLocker Kmode exception not handled. fvevol.sys (Still unresolved)

Yes that was a brand new WD drive that had bad sectors. Its already in a box waiting for UPS to pick it uP. It was only installed for 3 days I also noticed that ahci error. Is it possible it is related to the bad WD drive? The drive that has been causing
    the errors for almost a year is a Seagate barracuda. It passed the seatools test. Is it possible this is an ahci related problem? I don't have RAID setup only a clone on a disconnected drive. I have many flash drives but they are on a switched hub. From what
    ive read it seems readyboot tries to use flash or an hdd,but since my drives are locked on start up and my flash drives are on a switched hub it fails. Is there a way to disable it on an SSD?

Marcus Agrippa, Apr 19, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

The Block size is determined usually by the file system. If you Formatted your HDD NTFS and left it at defaults, and the Used HDD capacity is no larger then the SSD capacity, it will seamlessly clone over.
    But, if the Windows 10 installation was done using RAID instead of AHCI, it may very well BSOD when trying to boot from the cloned SSD.
    If you had AHCI and did a Clean install of 10 and then added your small SSD and changed it to RAID, that could be why you were having BSOD and other problems.
    If the mode was set to AHCI when you installed 10 , If you enable AHCI now, cloning should go smooth.

spunk, Apr 19, 2017
  5. qwikpix Win User
    Hi Spunk,

The HDD is NTFS but the HDD is 1TB whilst the SSD is only 750GB (though I'm only using about 200GB of that). As far as installations - this fresh W10 installation was done specifically with RAID mode enabled, purely for the SRT to work as that is a prerequisite for it to function (as it happens it always failed when trying to enable it in Intel's RST utility). Not quite sure where that leaves me.

qwikpix, Apr 19, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in device manager?

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2017
  7. qwikpix Win User
    Hi NavyLCDR, I get Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller under my storage controllers - I don't get any entries for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

qwikpix, Apr 19, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have an actual raid array set up now? If not, I think you would be OK to just switch to AHCI in UEFI/BIOS now before cloning. Windows 10 should pick up on that an initially install a standard AHCI controller driver under ATA/ATAPI controllers which you can then manually switch to the proper Intel ACHI controller driver. The most that would happen is Windows would not boot and you switch the controller back to RAID in UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2017
  9. qwikpix Win User
    Hi NavyLCDR, that's correct, an actual RAID array has never been set up, I believe the Intel SRT uses the underlying RAID tech to implement the SSD as a cache for the HDD so that's why the installation was done with the BIOS set to RAID. I'll give it a try switching over on the current installation and see what happens - I seem to recall running a repair with the installation media after the switch can take care of it. After that I will do the clone to the SSD - should I resize my partition down from 1TB to 750GB to match the SSD before I carry out the clone?

qwikpix, Apr 20, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, you can do the resizing during the cloning.

NavyLCDR, Apr 20, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Before switching away from RAID mode copy contents of any data files you need just in case you lose the lot when switching away from RAID - copy to backup HDD or whatever --I think you are on the right track to remove the hardware RAID --cheap consumer grade RAID controllers are far more inferior to native AHCI mode and also if you want it you can use Software RAID which is far superior to those cheap controllers in any case.

The controller ought to have in its setup (either in BIOS or in software driver which you should have with the card) a mechanism to enable RAID and the RAID level you want or an option to disable it completely.

If you did the initial install in RAID mode you'll have to do it again in AHCI mode. BTW the FREE upgrade to W10 is STILL working so you can simply install a basic W7 / W8 system then apply the FREE upgrade.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 21, 2017
  12. qwikpix Win User
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry I've been a while coming back but other issues cropped up on this machine that have been taxing my resources - kept getting BSODs, often freezing just after logging in, and even freezing at BIOS (also sometimes giving out 4 short beeps). Not quite sure what was causing it but I stripped the system back and left only 1 stick of RAM in disconnected all the drives and things seemed to be stable at the moment.

Anyway, once I managed to boot into the OS and it remained stable I took a disk image and then tried the AHCI switch. At first it didn't work, which I sort of expected. Tried to repair the startup with the installation media - no go. So switched back to RAID and tried something I found elsewhere. Basically in Windows 10 it looks like it's not a registry tweak that is required I just had to boot into safe mode with the SATA mode switched to AHCI then boot back in normally and the drivers had been switched to msahci and booted fine.

I have today used minitool partition wizard to clone the HDD to the SSD and that seems to have gone smoothly - the only little niggle is now I have an additional partition (E*Smile which has the system reserved on, whereas before it was just a hidden partition - I think this is just a side effect of cloning rather than installing fresh. I also need to check the alignment in AS SSD.

qwikpix, May 1, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You can right click on the E drive partition in disk management or partition wizard and remove the drive letter.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2017
  14. jakamon Win User
    Here is how I solved getting Bios & Win10 to see new Samsung EVO 850 SSD drive, WITHOUT changing to AHCI:Bottom line, I decided to install SSD first and then clone it via SATA directly from drive C: vs as external USB3. I plugged into the last/4th remaining open SATA slot on the Motherboard. But only 3 of the motherboard 4 SATA Disk slots were checked in the Bios, so it wasn't looking at the 4th slot that I plugged the SSD into, so neither Bios nor Win 10 saw it. So reboot in safe mode, F2 to enter Bios setup, looked at Disks, saw 4th SATA plug was not checked. Clicked on / checked the 4th box, rebooted, and presto, next reboot, there is the SSD, both in Bios and Win10.
    Formatted SSD, (using Win10 "Drive Management" and "simple format" using GPT, not MBR), cloned old drive to it, changed boot sequence in Bios (left SSD as 4th SATA drive, doesn't matter, changed old boot drive to 2nd choice), and boots like a champ, and fast. BUT biggest savings is starting apps, not booting. You boot once a day, you open apps a LOT, and they pop up fast. That's why you get an SSD, fast apps & disk access all day.And the SSD did NOT need AHCI, it runs fine on Raid-0, with "simple format" drives (ie: non-raid format), like the other 2 drives. AHCI is a Sub-set of Raid-0, no advantage in AHCI, and not necessary for system to see SSD & get AHCI performance.I have a Dell Optiplex 990 MiniTower (2011 vintage I believe), came with Win7 Pro installed, now running latest Windows 10 pro, with a 512 meg boot drive and a 2 T drive D, and a DVD/CD drive (3 SATA drives) and one open SATA plug on mother board. That was the key. The Bios was not looking at the open 4th slot.
    As an aside, I had to reverse the ends on the SATA cable cuz there wasn't room for the L shaped plug at the drive, but that was not the problem, SATA cables are reversible, non-directional - you can plug either end into the drive & motherboard. Now I know and so do you.Under "Settings", clicked on "System Configuration", scroll down to "Drives". At the top there were 4 check boxes, labeled SATA-0 thru SATA-3 (one for each SATA plug on Motherboard). 0-2 were were all checked, but the last one, SATA-3 (4th slot on mother board) was not. Checked that box, and rebooted, hitting F2 to get back into Bios settings, and presto, there was my SSD in SATA-3 slot. Also recognized in windows 10 now.But you are not done yet - you still have to Format the new SSD before it can be used. (Why don't any of the SSD instructions TELL you this). Open "Disk Management" in Win10. Click on the name of the SSD drive on the left, choose "Simple Format" and NSF if it asks, and use GPT, not MBR (GPT is newer, better, and lets you use disks bigger than 2T, and is good on everything from VISTA & XP forward (might work on 98, not sure).Still in settings, out of curiosity I checked SATA setting, and the last 2 options were AHCI, which everyone fawns over and recommends, but my system came set to Raid-0. None of the drives were formatted for Raid-0 (all formatted with "simple format", not Raid), so its moot, AND, since AHCI is a SUB-set of Raid, I have all the features of AHCI with none of the headaches of changing to AHCI. Just use "Simple Format" & NSF, when formatting the drive (Network File System if asked - I think it just told me it was using NSF), not any of the Raid settings, and it will just be another drive in the PC and behave exactly as tho you were running AHCI. And when given the choice between MBR or GPT, choose GPT. Its newer, better. I used the "Drive Management" under windows 10 to format the drive.When you run the Samsung "Data Migration" (ie clone) operation, when done, the SSD will automatically be drive C:, and old C: will be renamed to next open drive letter (G: in my case - you can change drive letters using "Drive Management" if you like, but you can't change C*Smile. I left my old 512 spin drive in system, changed drive letter to X: (for eXtra), and now I do scheduled drive cloning from SSD C: to X:, so I always have a current full copy of my system, should I need it.As an aside, unless you NEED to shave a couple MS off disk read-write, Raid-0 is not only not worth is, but does NOT provide any protection over non-Raid, it just divides the physical read/write, and failures, over 2 spinning drives, so teeny savings in not having to wait on 1 spinning drive for the whole disk access... Not worth it in my opinion, just risks losing data spread evenly over 2 drives instead of 1. And no, even if you love Raid, it is a complete waste on SSD, no savings, no benefit, just wastes an SSD drive.

jakamon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI) - Similar Threads - Clone HDD SSD

2. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  3. Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities: I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically. Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the RAID. Now the disks are separate and the OS is just on one disk. Ever since then, I lost the ability to reboot. It comes down and...
  4. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  5. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  6. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  7. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  8. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...
  9. Question on switching from hdd to ssd without cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question on switching from hdd to ssd without cloning: My laptop hdd is about 7 years old so i'm switching to an ssd. I've seen all the info on cloning etc.. but I'm wondering if I can just do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new drive and go from there.. My original OS was Windows 7 and that's what I have discs for.. but...
  10. WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI: Hello all, My laptop (specs listed in other under system specs) uses a Samsung PM830 SSD. Samsung Magician says it doesnt support this drive, even though the online documentation says it does. The only reason for this that Ive been able to find is because the laptop is set...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will cloning software work when the hdd is in raid mode

2. cloning ahci hdd to ssd

3. AOMEI Backupper UserManual RAID AHCI