Windows 10: CloneApp - Backup All Your App Settings

Discus and support CloneApp - Backup All Your App Settings in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I came across this yesterday and tried it out on my new Windows 8.1 system. It does what it says - backs up all the settings folders and registry keys... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TheSchaft, Jul 22, 2015.

1. TheSchaft Win User

CloneApp - Backup All Your App Settings

I came across this yesterday and tried it out on my new Windows 8.1 system. It does what it says - backs up all the settings folders and registry keys for your installed apps/applications.

It should be useful for generating a list of what you have installed (at a minimum) and saving off the folders and registry entries for your current system in case you want to blow it away and do a clean install. For Windows 10, you probably can't import the registry keys, but the restoring folders should work if that is where you have the ".ini" files or other settings.

It has plugins for 186 programs, and you can select them individually, or just the ones it detects. You can see what they are from this link, "allapps.txt" http://www.mirinsoft.com/downloads/c...rt/allapps.txt .

[edit] This also runs on Windows 10.
    If you've ever done a refresh, you know that you get an HTML file called "Removed Apps" that has the names, and maybe links, to stuff that was removed. Fine for getting rid of new system junk, not so fine if you have loaded in stuff like 8gadgetspack, 7-zip, IrfanView, MPC-HC, etc. and have set the options you like.

From the site, annotated:

"CloneApp enables easy backup of all your app settings from Windows directories and Registry.
    A fresh re-install always makes Windows much faster but that means you lose all your program settings.
    CloneApp will Backup all your App settings from Windows directories and the Registry and only those you really need.

The Idea behind is a bit different from the 'classic' Backup tool. The Main purpose is ONLY to backup all the Configurations files leaved in Windows Programm directories and the Registry."

NOTE: Run as Administrator

Site:
    New Project on the Run

From the Readme file:

Links and Resources to CloneApp
    ===============================
    Download: Domain Default page
    Changelog: Domain Default page
    Online Documentation: Domain Default page
    Official Plug-ins: Downloads - CloneApp - Plug-ins
    External Plug-ins (e.g. for backing up Windows Product keys etc.): Downloads - CloneApp - External Plug-ins
    Community Plug-ins: CloneApp :: Topics in CloneApp - Community Plug-ins (1/1)
    Support Forum: CloneApp :: Category Index
    License: Domain Default page ("The software is being licensed to you free of charge for your private personal use.")

:)

TheSchaft, Jul 22, 2015

2. Microsoft Passport Container access denied. No MS suggested fix works.

As I understand it, a clean install means reinstalling 100+ apps/programs, then re-registering them with their providers and tweaking all their settings. I've looked at backup programs like CloneApp, but they only save a small fraction of the settings for
    all I have installed. Office 365 Outlook 2015, for instance. But will it actually solve the issue?

Both the Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1, and its November upgrade, arbitrarily changed permissions settings for dozens of things like RuntimeBroker and Microsoft Passport Container denying me, as sole administrator, access to crucial processes and services.
    I'm assuming these will also again need to be tweaked through Regedit — hours of mind-numbing tedium.

Realistically, this is a full-time job that will drag on for days because Windows cannot be convinced to grant me permission to operate my own computer. Is this as good as it gets?

Michael_Linder, Jul 22, 2015
  3. nicrame Win User
    Nokia c3 new firmware 7 is soo bad my all java apps r not working at all

First make backup of Your all Contacts and messages ( Menu \ Settings \ Sync and backup \ Make backup). Then reset to factory setting (Menu \ Settings \ Reset to factory settings \ All ). After that load contacts and messages from backup (same place) ane
    install all apps again on the phone.

nicrame, Jul 22, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Why not just image your system with something like Acronis or Free Macrium -- reliable software that's been working for Donkeys years -- and you can restore from a bootable media too if your computer fails to boot.

I'm all in favour of developers creating new software - but offering something that is functionally less good than what already exists seems in my book a total waste of time.

These backup products also allow you to backup and restore data too.

Another advantage is you can MOUNT a backed up image then simply use Windows explorer to copy things like settings / individual folders etc etc to your new system if you want.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 22, 2015
  5. TheSchaft Win User
    I agree with using something like Macrium to clone your system, but this is oriented more toward when you want to blow off your current system, doing a clean install, then put some, but maybe not all, apps back in.

In addition, a Macrium clone isn't going to help when you move from 7/8 to 10, but this might let you restore your settings (the non-registry ones at least) like navigation panes, colors, options, etc. after you put the applications in instead of having to go through and re-set stuff to the way you like it.

TheSchaft, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CloneApp - Backup All Your App Settings - Similar Threads - CloneApp Backup App

2. Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 Pro and can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings. They're crashing. I tried it in Safe mode also. In Event Viewer I got this:Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time...
  3. Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 Pro and can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings. They're crashing. I tried it in Safe mode also. In Event Viewer I got this:Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time...
  4. does the windows backup include apps and settings?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does the windows backup include apps and settings?: when I restore from backup, will all my apps and windows setting be there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-windows-backup-include-apps-and-settings/38a9065a-9252-4660-8e29-504fba0de9f9
  5. Is Mirinsoft CloneApp the software I need?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Mirinsoft CloneApp the software I need?: My laptop has been very unreliable recently, so I bought a new Lenovo i5 core 8th Gen IdeaPad S340-151WL laptop running Win10 Home V.1903 build 18362.778. It boots fast and works great. However, one of my necessary apps My Heritage did not make the transfer. I tried...
  6. Is Mirinsoft CloneApp the software I need?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Mirinsoft CloneApp the software I need?: My laptop has been very unreliable recently, so I bought a new Lenovo i5 core 8th Gen IdeaPad S340-151WL laptop running Win10 Home V.1903 build 18362.778. It boots fast and works great. However, one of my necessary apps My Heritage did not make the transfer. I tried...
  7. backup your contextmenu

in Windows 10 Support
    backup your contextmenu: After every upgrade , I have to manage my contextmenu again , some items appear/dissappear , sometimes it takes a lot of time to re-organize the contextmenu the way it was , the way I want it to look............ So , Im looking for a program ( portable ?) which can make an...
  8. Back up Windows 10 Apps Settings with CloneApp UA

in Windows 10 News
    Back up Windows 10 Apps Settings with CloneApp UA: CloneApp UA is a free program for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system that users and administrators may use to back up or restore settings of UWP applications on Windows 10 devices. The application supports reset and cache clearing operations next to that. The...
  9. Does CloneApp even work?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does CloneApp even work?: Just going thru a new workstation build and came across this app - thinking it would excellent for transferring settings from the old machine to the new one. I let it "backup" the 50 or so apps that I have in play and then built out the new machine. Tested it with Chrome...
  10. Backup fails with "check your backup"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup fails with "check your backup": Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and the microSD card, total used about 100GB. Backup repeatedly fails with: Check your backup The last backup did not complete...