Windows 10: Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?

Discus and support Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello first off yes I know 1TB is way bigger than 525Gb but my dell inspiron 3650 isn't even a month old yet and I have only used 178 Gb total from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by artislee, Jan 5, 2017.

1. artislee Win User

Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?

Hello first off yes I know 1TB is way bigger than 525Gb but my dell inspiron 3650 isn't even a month old yet and I have only used 178 Gb total from the HDD. So my question is should I still be able to clone the hdd with 178Gb used(includes hidde to the ssd which has 475Gb currently but I am assuming all will be formated. It is a crucial mx300 525Gb 2.5" drive and I have the software Acronis that cane with the SSD install kit i got from crucial..

:)

artislee, Jan 5, 2017

2. Will Windows 10 with a 1TB HDD work alright with a External SATA HDD cloned drive?

Hi, I'm about to get an External HDD"flat docking station"with an USB 3.0 to clone from my internal HDD. Will it make a difference which drive I use with Windows 10? Also, I'll be cloning this drive from a 1TB drive that only has 130GB on it that's 50%
    fragmented (after I use the defagger) The HDD drive I'll be cloning to is also 1TB, will the fragmented files from the internal HDD show up on the cloned drive? I hope that's not a "dull" question.

deerpark243, Jan 5, 2017
  3. Cloning a dual boot Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2

Hello,

I have a 500GB HDD with Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2 running on different partitions. I am planning to upgrade the HDD to 1TB SSHD.

Will system clone, clone the various partitions on my HDD and will they be bootable?

Thanks.

Olugbengar, Jan 5, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes. I've used both Macrium Reflect Free and MiniTool Partition Wizard in the past to do it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2017
  5. artislee Win User
    Awesome, thanks for the reply!

artislee, Jan 5, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Acronis will do it an adjust partition size no problem

Samuria, Jan 5, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Am I behind the times? I thought that stuff only works if one does a full image [which leaves out emply byte-space, hiberfil.sys & pagefile.sys] of a source HD and then restore same onto a target HD.

RolandJS, Jan 5, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

There are two modes for cloning, at least in Macrium Reflect Free and MiniTool Partition Wizard. The default cloning method in both those programs is at the filesystem level. Only the files are copied over, not the free space. This has the added benefit of defragging the filesystem if you are cloning to another HDD and you can adjust the destination partition sizes.

The second method of cloning that you have to specify Macrium Reflect or MiniTool to use is forensic cloning which does a physical sector by sector clone. This not only leaves file fragmentation in place, but also the destination partitions must be the exact same size as the source partitions.

Obviously, when cloning to an SSD file fragmentation is not an issue, but I don't really see any need to use forensic physical sector by sector cloning anyway unless there is some type of file encryption being used that prevents the cloning program from being able to read and copy the files.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2017
  9. enigma101 Win User
    Yup, me too *Smile

enigma101, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done? - Similar Threads - Cloning 1TB hdd

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB: Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing down over time. So I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free edition and connected my SSD via SATA to USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0...
  6. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clone from 350gb to a 250 SSD can it be done