Windows 10: Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

Discus and support Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GracieAllen, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF that disk and put it on a DIFFERENT disk....

I plugged both disks into a different PC, fired up Easus Todo Backup and did a Clone... Copied the system partition from the old system disk to the new "going to be" system disk. Put it in the old laptop. It says 'No operating system found"

As usual, I THOUGHT this was going to trivial, and it doesn't appear to be... SO, I formatted the new system disk, and ran diskpart and set the only partition on the disk to active. Then I ran Todo Backup AGAIN to clone the disk. Stuck it back in the laptop and it STILL says "no operating system found". It takes at LEAST an hour and a half every time I do this clone, so I'm tired of doing it over and over. I HAVE the newly cloned disk sitting here. What do I need to do make it found and boot in the laptop?

:)

GracieAllen, Mar 16, 2016

2. how to copy one bootable windows system to a new hard drive and make the new drive bootable in windows 10

you can check whether your new hard drive was initialized as MBR or GPT. if it is not the same as your old hard drive, that may be the problem. I have used AOMEI Backupper to

clone hard drive
    without a problem. therefore, I suggest you clean up your new hard drive (delete all partitions) and try Disk clone or system clone.

Youngwarlord, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 replace drive

Replacing a hard drive will not invalidate your license. Replacing a motherboard definitely would. There is no code for the free upgrade. They snuck that one through in the fine print. It is tied to the motherboard.

In theory it is your motherboard that validates the license and you should be able to download the official Win10 ISO and make a dvd of it to install on the new disk. In theory.

I however would hesitate to do that since my Win10 experience has not been flawless to say the least. There is a possibility that it won't activate after you have installed it. It should... but yea.

So if possible I'd first try to clone your old hard disk to the new one with cloning software (Clonezilla seems to be a suitable tool but google "hard disk clone free" for more options.) If your old disk is dead or damaged you probably can't clone it.

Another option is to reinstall the old windows on the new disk and then upgrade that like you did last time. If you are able to install the old one that is... most systems come with no recovery dvds nodays.

AllanM2014, Mar 16, 2016
  4. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

Cloning is a waste of time these days when you can see a full system image made from the original and restored to the new same size or larger drive installed. A fresh copy of 10 might be a consideration as well for the new drive which will of course remove all of the OEM "Bloatwares"? and see a basic clean install of 10!

Here on one laptop I nuked the entire drive that came with the 7 laptop after seeing a few upgrade and clean installs for the 32bit 10 to change over to the 64bit Windows as well as not being able to shrink the factory primary down any! The new primary for the clean 64bit install went very well.

Initially for the July 29, 2015 launch date I had cloned the then 7 host/boot drive now second OS drive over to the then spare OS drive for the upgrade to 10. Due to not unplugging two storage drives however after then seeing a fresh 7 install go on and then finding out the reason 10 wasn't going on was the need to unplug those other drives besides the 7 host HD the 8hr. clone being replaced by a 20 minute plus SP1 install of 7 there saw the initial upgrade to 10.

As for the drive already having been cloned something went missing apparently since the drive wasn't made bootable. You could try a repair install or a few runs of the Startup repair tool option and still not see working results. A full image on the other hand being restored is a snapshot of everything on the OEM drive put onto the new one. You may still end up with issues however since that is still factory partitioning being restored. A nice fresh clean install is generally the preferred option

Want to spend only a few hours or a few days? A clean install plus program installs fresh on the new drive equals a few hours time. A full clone depending on the size of the drive and what is on it??? For seeing a full image made of a 1tb loaded with files about 34minutes on average and restoration under one hour! These are the options available.

Night Hawk, Mar 16, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have to clone the entire disk, not just the OS partition in order to get the partition that contains the boot files.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  6. You got that right! Besides with a brand new drive, brand new OS primary why not a brand new Windows install? You start fresh with everything rather then trying to jerry rig things and run into these types of problems.

The full image option however will take everything and bring it over in one shot for the present OEM copy of Windows, all folders, files, programs. etc. as well as registry errors, corrupt systems files, other problems yet to be seen? But that will preserve things as is and see the new drive made bootable in the process for having transferred the boot information and boot loader as well as everything else.

Still miss the Windows Easy Transfer tool however where your files and settings get transferred onto a fresh install.

Night Hawk, Mar 16, 2016
  7. Well, there were reasons to clone the old drive... I installed it originally, so there ISN'T any bloat to be concerned about. And it generally takes between 4 and 7 days of fixing Windows 10, cleaning out all the ridiculous crap MS sticks in there and adding software to get a box working reasonably well. So, 90 minutes to clone a drive was a good tradeoff...

Unfortunately, being unable to get what I'd hoped was a simple answer to the question asked, I dumped it and did an install. the box will most likely be available for actual work in a few days.

GracieAllen, Mar 17, 2016
  8. Clintlgm Win User

Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

The simple answer was you have to clone the entire disk. The program you used, is known to work, for some people, Macrium Reflect works every time. Sounds like you have solved this issue regardless

Clintlgm, Mar 17, 2016
  9. The simple answer is what I was saying before a full system image backup takes into account "Everything" on the first drive in one on the spot backup of the entire drive. That image is then restored onto the new drive in generally much less time then cloning. But the persistence on cloning only should see everything cloned not a partial clone you ended up with being the main issue.

Here having tried cloning even last summer compared to seeing system images made and even restored at times over several years has made the decision here rather easier to simply image then clone.

Night Hawk, Mar 17, 2016
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes I agree, Image are better and faster to restore. I just find it easier to guide the less techy types to the clone method as its simpler in most cases, less steps.

Clintlgm, Mar 17, 2016
  11. Well when looking at the options in the 2010 Home edition of Acronis True Image I still have running on 10 here I ran the clone option last summer for the 1tb OS drive and spent most of the day waiting in prep for the 10 upgrade the clone unfortunately wasn't to see happen when not having review the Clean Install guide first. I wanted to walk into 10 blindly like so many others would in order to see just what type of problems would appear first hand!

As for seeing a full system image made that's something that serves not only seeing everything moved over to the new drive but also serves as a full system backup in the event something doesn't go quite right? or something else comes up later. Cloning is a one shot deal if the original drive is then tossed and found later to be needed again for some reason as well as the time saving advantage of imaging vs cloning to consider.

It will still remain upto the pc owner to make the final decision however as you can only lead a horse to water as the expression goes. My experience with 10 so far hasn't been any "METROMARE" the 8 Customer Preview had been when MS first decided to make a dual platform OS and stick the RT tablet touchscreen gui in everyone's faces without any choices and why 8 tanked fast as you notice! 8.1 was an improvement that still saw the familiar Windows taken apart. 10 is now the MS attempt to pick up to a degree where 7 left off as far as being a "SUCCESS STORY UNFOLDED"! 6yrs. ago. MS want to regain that headliner once again with 10 despite dumping the original features and now conveniently providing free stuff in the MS store like VLC to replace WMP!

Night Hawk, Mar 18, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Not necessarily. You only need the partitions that matter for Windows to boot and run really.
    Cloning a drive or partitions is often a waste of time. Anyhow, I read a lot of confusing stuff because of semantics really.
    The folk at Macrium have really well documented stuff on their site about all of this, well worth a read and needless to say, what a good free program that is.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 18, 2016
  13. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

OS and Boot sector and possibly the System Reserved volume while all that is automatically covered in a full one shot system image backup of an entire drive. Need to see Windows restored with everything still intact the system image option. Cloning is the older method used mainly by corporations before imaging softwares were developed and first seen on the consumer market.

The advantage of imaging over cloning is being able to restore the backup image made to the source drive at a later date while cloning to the source from a clone won't work is the source drive ends up with a bad day for some reason! Cloning once finished sees the destination drive made immediately available while the image created then has to be restored to the source or other drive but can be restored endless numbers of times as long as the image stays intact without seeing any eventual corruption or comes out intact from the start.

As for documentation every company will see it's own library of topics related to the type of products being sold. Acronis has their page with embedded videos outlining how each of the two options is done with their latest software of course. Difference between Backup and Disk Clone | Knowledge Base

Night Hawk, Mar 18, 2016
  14. Clintlgm Win User
    *Ditto Acronis 2010 through 2014 advertised that they were UEFI compliant however almost all UEFI GPT image restores and Clones failed to boot. and little no support from Acronis, there Forum was helpful but remedy's for these failures didn't happen until late 2014 and I still had a failure to boot with 2015, needless to say I move my back up routines to MR as I upgraded to UEFI. This is how I found Macrium Reflect in 2012 with my first UEFI machine.

Clintlgm, Mar 18, 2016
  15. Sorry to hear that since some don't like Acronis 2016 at all. The word on that is bloatware! Paragon looks like the next paid for option I might go with however once the 2010 edition becomes obsolete with the next build anyways where I can only expect to be running into some UEFI issues to work out there.

So far the only pc here with UEFI at the present is the recently bought 10 laptop that wouldn't boot from a flash drive when bringing up the boot device menu since that was created on a Legacy/Bios main build here. Need to toss UltraISO on the new laptop instead or better yet go with the latest version that likely now excludes the bootable floppy image option! Originally went with that back in 2009 before the 7 launch even.

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

1. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk... - Similar Threads - Cloning system disk

2. System Using 90% Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Using 90% Disk: Hi,I am a Windows 10 user!I am getting a problem of 100% Disk usage of which A task named System is using 90%.My laptop is becoming slow day by day.The only thing I am doing is being in an Online meeting with MS Teams.Any help would be appreciated.My PC Specs:-Lenovo Ideapad...
  3. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  4. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  5. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  7. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  8. Backwards cloning of system disk?

Backwards cloning of system disk?: Hello All, I installed an SSD on my wife's laptop and did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1809 on the SSD. I see now that free software exists to clone an HDD to an SSD (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free). HP has made it rough to get to the hard drive and I do not fancy...
  9. Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer: Hello My "old" (10 yea rs) computer crashed (motherboard and processor) but the system disk is still readable I had a new computer built with the latest hardware When I sttart to boot from the "old" system disk, after a few seconds, I have a "Blue Screen Of Death" (I have no...
  10. System Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...