Windows 10: Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading

Discus and support Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a few laptops, all of them are the same specs except for a few with a different GPU. All of them run the exact same software. I'm planning to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ToniCipriani, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading

I have a few laptops, all of them are the same specs except for a few with a different GPU. All of them run the exact same software. I'm planning to upgrade them all manually to 10 first to register the machine, then create an image so in case a drive goes belly up, I'll just restore it from the image created instead of installing all the software one by one. I'm going to take one machine, sysprep it then keep a copy of that image for restoring on to the other machines.

In this case would it just reactivate properly on the newly cloned machine?

:)

ToniCipriani, Aug 15, 2015

2. Cloning problems with Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Unable to clone a Samsung SSD 850 EVO on a newly upgraded Win10 machine. Samsung's cloning app does not see the drive, though Samsung's Magician software does (albeit grayed out).

Formatted and mounted the drive in MS Disk Management; drive appears as E.

(Already successfully cloned and installed an 850 on a different machine using Win8.1; then successfully upgraded to Win10, so I know what success looks like.)

TIA,

Sam

Sal A. Manger, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Get Win 10 activation but keep using Win 7 for a while

Hi there,

i have a question regarding the activation process.

In our company we still have ~ 30 machines running Win 7. In the last weeks i made several upgrades but sometimes the upgrade was a total mess and people couldn't work for a day.

Even if i would just upgrade 1 machine a day, i wouldn't match the 29th deadline with all machines.

So my idea was, that i use another ssd, clone the Win 7 system, use this clone to make the upgrade (key getting activated for win 10) then remove the clone and keep the machine run Win 7 for a while, so i can make the upgrades machine by machine even after
    the end of the month but already have all keys activated for Win 10.

I'm not talking about simultaneous use !

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Max

MWellensiek, Aug 15, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading

Hi there

SYSPREP should work - but you still will need a licence (or Free upgrade) for each machine you install W10 on. If you have a VL (Volume licence) -- no problems - but you aren't allowed to clone several machines from just ONE Windows Licence unless it's a VL or multiple activation version.

If the old machines had valid Windows licences then activation should in theory work on the machines -- just try it on a second machine and see before you SYSPREP the rest of them. Observe the legal requirements though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2015
  5. Keep us updated. I'd guess yes, too, but I'd like to know how it turns out.

(I'm assuming that each upgrade installed correctly with it's previous
    version of Windows activating the upgrade to Windows 10, right?)

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  6. All the machines have OEM 7 Pro, which I will first manually do an 10 Pro upgrade to get Microsoft to save the hardware hash, hence all of them will be on a clean genuine 10 Pro. My question is if one drive gives, can I just take an image from one of them and let it re-activate, or will there be hardware hash clashes. I just don't want to go through the pain of rebuilding it from scratch one by one.

ToniCipriani, Aug 15, 2015
  7. I think it would detect that the hardware hash was different and try to reactivate which should pass since the current hardware hash on that machine would have already been activated. I don't think there would be an issue.

If there was an issue you could simply force reactivation once you'd overwritten the current installation with your image at command prompt:
    slmgr /ato

dangalore1988, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading

The slmgr.vbs -ato trick worked. I further tweaked the process by generating the GenuineTicket.xml, on a barebones WIndows 7 SLP install (the machines all have a 7 COA), then after cloning, did the manual activation. Works brilliantly, now I don't even have to go through installing 7 and 10 multiple times.

And I would assume in future upgrades I can skip dropping the XML, since it's already activated once with Microsoft as a 7 upgrade.

ToniCipriani, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading

1. Cloning an installation to a different machine after upgrading - Similar Threads - Cloning installation different

2. Windows 10 is extremely slow after upgrading, cloning, and installing a larger SSD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is extremely slow after upgrading, cloning, and installing a larger SSD.: Hello, so I have an Inspiron 17-7779 that originally came with two drives, my c drive was a 128gb ssd and my d drive is a 1TB hdd. Even though I moved as much to the d drive as possible, I started running into issues with storage and decided to upgrade. I purchased a...
  3. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  4. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  5. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Different Win version after cloning

Different Win version after cloning: Hi everyone, after cloning my SSD to another and also changing the hardware. Windows says it is now Win 10 Enterprise and not Pro like it was before. Therefore I can't activate the new PC, since I get the error that the versions of both PCs don't match. Is there a way to fix...
  7. Cloning Multiple Win10 machines

Cloning Multiple Win10 machines: I am trying to clone 30+ machine at one time. The issue I am having is that if I use one machine as my test and try and deploy that out to 30+ machines how can I get the COA key in the other machine to activate? All 30+ machines are brand new. They all have different COA...
  8. License issue about creating clone image of windows 10 and deploy on the different machines...

License issue about creating clone image of windows 10 and deploy on the different machines...: Our company owns Windows 10 pro education VL keys as an education institute. In the computer labs, we have about 600 laptops which have OEM Windows 10 keys from the manufacturersDell/lenovo/HP. Is there any license issues to create windows image from a system and deploy on...
  9. Can't install games on a different drive after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install games on a different drive after hardware upgrade: I just changed my motherboard and cpu and when i try to download the games on the xbox app on windows 10 it tells me the drive is not suitable for installing games. https://gyazo.com/7470de47c52353e4872deb5fb0c369d6 https://gyazo.com/b651f485028e75b206fb9e0bca0c967a...
  10. Sysrep - cloning to identical 50 machines

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sysrep - cloning to identical 50 machines: I have read your , very well done, "Windows 10: Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep" tutorial . I have just a couple of questions: 1) Is there a way to deploy the image cleaned by sysrep to 50 identical machines avoiding the first starting initialisation...